B2MeM 2013: Day Thirty

  • Rhapsody
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2013
      Here are the prompts for Day Thirty of Back to Middle-earth Month
      Scavenger Hunt. Please visit our LiveJournal community for full details
      on how to participate: http://b2mem.livejournal.com/

      Below are three prompts, one from each of the three major eras of Arda’s
      history. To participate, choose one that sounds interesting, locate the
      quote in the books (that’s the scavenger hunt bit!), read the
      surrounding passage or chapter, and create your piece based on that.

      scene from the quote. While this is certainly one approach, you could
      also write about a character, location, or theme found in the scene.
      Remember, there’s no prompt police, and we encourage creative use of the
      prompts!

      "Now Thingol had in Menegroth deep armouries filled with great wealth of
      weapons: metal wrought like fishes' mail an shining like water in the
      moon; swords and axes, shields an helms, wrought by Telchar himself or
      by his master Gamil Zirak the old, or by elven-wrights more skilful still."

      "'Stare, if you must, great eyes!' he said. 'You're a pretty girl, but
      too thin. Will you eat?' He took a loaf out of his bag.
      'Be off, Îbal!' cried an old woman, coming from the dairy-door. 'And use
      your long legs, or you'll forget the message I gave you for your mother
      before you get home!'

      'No need for a watch-dog where you are, mother Zamîn!' cried the boy,
      and with a bark and a shout he leapt over the gate and went off at a run
      down the hill. Zamîn was an old country­woman, free-tongued, and not
      easily daunted, even by the White Lady."

      "There I lay staring upward, while the stars wheeled over, and each day
      was as long as a life-age of the earth. Faint to my ears came the rumour
      of all lands: the springing and the dying, the song and the weeping, and
      the slow everlasting groan of overburdened stone."

      Have fun!

      Rhapsody