Back to Middle-earth Month Has Begun!

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2013
      Hi, all,

      Today is March 1st and the official kickoff of our annual Back to Middle-earth Month (B2MeM) event! This year's event is Scavenger Hunt: Expedition in the Abecedarium, and the first round of prompts have been posted. This year, in an effort to encourage those who wanted to spend B2MeM working on one or a few longer works, we have presented a wealth of prompts for the first day. Prompts this year are quotes from Tolkien's books. We encourage participants to locate the quote in the book (that's the scavenger hunt part!), reading the surrounding section or chapter, and use that reading as inspiration for a story or artwork. Pieces do not have to include the scene from the book; participants might, for example, write about a character, setting, theme, or idea presented in the scene, to name just a few of the most obvious approaches. The first day's prompts (and myriad lovely icons to commemorate your participation!) are available here:

      Throughout the month, we will post additional quotes as prompts (never as many as we've posted today!). I cannot emphasize enough the importance of using the prompts in the way that fits best for you, as a writer or artist. There is a misconception that B2MeM is about trying to write something for a prompt every day, and although many participants enjoy doing just that, that it is the sole or primary point of B2MeM simply is not the case. Instead, March is a month that we have set aside to celebrate and prioritize the creation and enjoyment of Tolkien-based fanworks. Some participants might grab a prompt or two today to work on a piece across the month. Others might choose a prompt to start with today, using subsequent prompts to shape their piece in new directions. Others might like to write a drabble or vignette per day, using a prompt offered that day. All are welcome!

      B2MeM is an event for the entire Tolkien fandom, so no matter what formats, genres, characters, pairings, ratings, and interpretations you enjoy, and whether you can join us for one day or thirty-one, you are welcome at B2MeM. Hope to see many of you there!

      Dawn

      http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/
      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2014
        Every March, a handful of Tolkien fan communities put together and run Back to Middle-earth Month--affectionately known as B2MeM--in order to encourage creativity based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien. Every B2MeM event is different but all share the aim of encouraging Tolkien fans to try new things as readers, writers, and artists and to bring together fans who ordinarily don't get much chance to interact and appreciate each other's work. This year's B2MeM theme is the Seasons of Middle-earth, and we are putting together a compilation of stories, poetry, and art based on Tolkien's books. Every day during March, we will unlock new stories and art written for season-related prompts. The first two pieces--a series of haiku and a Numenorean costume--have been unlocked and can be enjoyed on our community here:

        But sitting back to enjoy the talents of our writers and artists isn't all we have going on this month! We also have a review challenge to encourage readers to share the love with our writers and artists.

        Also, if you'd like to create something for this year's prompts, we welcome all B2MeM-inspired writing and art (as long as it is Tolkien-based) on our community. We will be unlocking anything that wasn't created for the compilation every Sunday (except for the final week, when the non-compilation pieces will be unlocked on Saturday). For more information on how to share your work this March, see this post:

        May the muses smile upon you,

        Dawn