substantial edits to "A Bird in the Hand" posted

  • Marta
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2013
      Hey guys,

      I'm working through my old stories and trying to get them better
      organized for my new blog. In the course of that, I've been making
      edits - sometimes just correcting typos, but in other cases really
      trying to fine-tune things to make the stories work better.

      One of those that got a good tire-kicking is "A Bird in the Hand."
      It's essentially the story of Barahir (Faramir's + Eowyn's grandson
      who wrote the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen and other appendices sources),
      and in particular his attempt to grapple with the idea that the
      Akallabeth was not purely a natural event. It's basically the
      philosophical problem of theodicy wrapped up in fanfic, and my own
      thoughts on that issue have definitely developed since I teach it as
      part of my philosophy courses. So I tried to give a better discussion
      of the philosophy. But I also tried to tease out Barahir's backstory a
      little more and just clear up some writing that wasn't as sharp as I
      would have liked.

      Anyway, I've updated the version posted to SWG. In case anyone's
      interested I thought I'd post a link here:

      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/archive/home/viewstory.php?sid=492

      Looking forward to the upcoming BMEM!

      Marta