October 2012 Newsletter Posted!

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2012
      Hi, all,

      The SWG newsletter has been around for over seven years without missing a month. In that time, it has evolved from a few announcements and a monthly challenge to a publication that takes dozens of hours to put together each month and includes articles, comics, and collections of links.

      And I think this month's might be one of the best ever!

      For those of you (like me!) who have been enjoying learning more about the Second Age these past few months, our resident biographer Oshun has put together a biography about Vëantur, the grandfather of Tar-Aldarion, whom she wrote about last month. The Numenoreans' seafaring prowess not only formed their identity but led to their downfall, and Vëantur was the character who inspired their nautical wanderlust.

      Pandemonium has drawn another "Gothmog & Draugluin" cartoon, continuing Professor Thu's ... observation ... of Lil Gothmog and his pal Draugluin while Gothmog's mom and dad are away. Ever wondered what Sauron's online identity would be like? Read this month's comic to find out!

      Thanks to the several members who contributed links, we have quite a bit of reading--and viewing!--to offer this month as part of Around the World and Web. From Elven swords and Hobbit dimensions to videos of Tolkien reading in his invented languages, this month's collection is both inspiring and intriguing. If you've read or written something that would be of interest to our community, please remember to send us a link so that we can include it in our next newsletter!

      After that, we still have news from within the SWG (we're still looking for suggestions for the Library of Tirion!), announcements from groups outside the SWG (challenges, awards, and memes), and a list of the stories added and updated during the month of September. And we have a new challenge this month, "The Circle of Life," in addition to revisiting a past challenge and a new quote of the month.

      Creating the content for our newsletter is a huge effort each month that is shared among several volunteers. (I have the easy job of copyediting, coding, and enjoying a sneak preview of what everyone's been up to all month!) Many, many thanks to Oshun, Pandemonium, Rhapsody, Angelica, and Russandol, who do such an amazing job each month on our newsletter.

      All the best,