September 2012 Newsletter Posted!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
      Hi, everyone,

      The September 2012 edition of our newsletter is now available on the website:

      We don't have a lot of news from within the SWG this month--although we welcome several new members!--as real-life obligations and other fannish projects have been keeping the mod team hopping. We have several new things in the works that we hope to reveal soon!

      However, the Tolkien fandom beyond our borders has been quite busy, and our Around the World and Web section contains news of challenges, awards and contests, a fandom get-together, and two new Tolkien-related publications. Just a reminder, we are also collecting links to Tolkien-related posts and articles. This month, we share several links worth checking out. Thanks to Samtyr and Himring for their contributions! Please keep the links coming!

      This month's character biography accompanies last month's excellent biography of Erendis. This month, Oshun has written about Erendis's husband, Aldarion. One of many travel-loving mariners in Tolkien's legendarium, Aldarion nonetheless plays a valuable role in the stories, connecting the history of Numenor with the events of the Third Age. As always, Oshun has written a thought-provoking and insightful piece about a character that may have flown beneath the radar for many of us; her piece provides much inspiration for writing based on this little-discussed period of Arda's history.

      Finally, if you missed checking the archive while on holiday in August, no worries--this month's issue contains a complete list of stories added or updated during the past month. We also continue the "Of All That Remains" challenge and revisit the "Another Place in Time" challenge, so if your muses need a kick in the pants, why not check out one or both of these?

      Many, many thanks to Oshun, Rhapsody, and Russandol, whose contributions to this month's newsletter made my job very easy and very enjoyable. (It's always fun to be the first to read what they send in each month!)

      Happy reading!

    • Marta
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2012
        A special thanks to Oshun for the biography. It's well done, as usual, and really useful to me personally. Danke!

        Marta

        On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Dawn Felagund <DawnFelagund@...> wrote:

        Hi, everyone,

        The September 2012 edition of our newsletter is now available on the website:

        [snippage]
      • heartofoshun@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2012
          Thank you, Marta! I just enjoyed re-reading some stories of yours in the Tree and Flower awards for the MPTT archive, especially Spring's First Thaw and my favorite still Walking Down Narrow Streets.