Re: [SilmarillionWritersGuild] Tales of Middle-earth Award Looking for Volunteers!

  • Silver Trails
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
      I seldom participated in the MEFAS because I had no time to review. I was in the "do not nominate list" for a while too. I believe that the ones who win the MEFA awards now are good writers, many of them friends of mine. But I've seen many good fiction not being nominated because nobody knows the writer. Anyway, just wanted to give some input. When I was in the MEFAs list, input was asked for, but never taken into account. I'm glad you are working on changing that. Good luck! =)

      CC

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
        I am a published author in my career, and in the academic world the anonymous review by peers works perfectly fine. Of course we are not in search of an award, but trying to publish an article in an arbitrated journal. Of course you can guess who is the author many times, but that doesn't mean you'll approve something badly written. After all, we have a reputation to uphold. I am aware it would not really work for awards, no, but I believe it would be nice if it did.

        CC

        I'm also a bit dubious about just how 'anonymous' fic review actually is. I'm a HASA reviewer, and that review process is supposedly anonymous. However, I find that for the more prolific authors in the fandom, I frequently can figure out who wrote the fic just by the description - and if I can't figure it out from the description, I know within a paragraph or two of reading, even if I haven't read the fic elsewhere before. My guesses have been right the majority of the time - it's a combination of distinctive style and knowing what topics certain authors generally write about.

        In a few cases, I've even Googled the first couple of lines of a fic to see if my guess was correct and have found the story, the author, the other archive, the date posted, etc.

        Point is, it's next to impossible in the Tolkien fandom to truly blind the reviewing process unless it's a really new author in the fandom and they haven't posted the work anywhere else on the internet.

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2012
          Hi! :)

          Just wanted to say what I think, but I don't expect the new awards to change because of it. I don't participate. I was maybe musing out loud because I feel comfortable to do it in the list. (smile)

          I am perfectly fine in the SWG archive, with the challenges and the B2ME month and so on. I've been in many fandoms since 1997, and I no longer feel the need to get an award. Of course it's very nice when someone reads my stories and gives me feedback on them. It's nice to chat about fandom issues and meet new people. =)

          CC