"Story of the Hobbit" Online Course This Fall

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 15, 2012
      Hi, everyone,

      The Mythgard Institute released their fall course list yesterday, and one course in particular might be of interest to Tolkien fans. They are running a 12-week course, "The Story of The Hobbit," taught by Professor Corey Olsen.

      http://www.mythgard.org/academics/fall-2012-course/the-story-of-the-hobbit/

      For those of you unfamiliar with Mythgard, they offer online courses in fantasy studies and Tolkien studies. The courses can be taken for MA credit or audited. I'm auditing their Introductory Latin I course this summer, and my husband is auditing a course on Arthurian legends. We've both enjoyed our courses and learned a lot so far! The Hobbit course appears to focus on the literary precursors of The Hobbit, the evolution of the story itself, and the reception of the story and its eventual evolution into film, including a bonus session at the end of December to discuss the new Hobbit movie.

      It looks like a fascinating course and I thought there might be interest here, especially since their audit rates are very reasonable.

      Dawn

      http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/
      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org