May 2011 Newsletter Posted!

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2011
      Hi, all,

      I have just uploaded our new newsletter to the SWG website.

      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/news/may2011.php

      This month, we have made several important announcements that I encourage our members to check out, if they have not already. We have big plans this summer to redesign the look of our website and open an art gallery, and we invite member input to ensure the new design best meets everyone's needs. In addition, we have established a community on Dreamwidth for sharing writing, art, and discussion related to The Silmarillion, and we continue to solicit member input for our Library of Tirion project.

      This month's character biography, authored by Oshun, is about a minor character--so minor he doesn't even appear in the Silm itself!--who nonetheless presents fodder for exploration in story, poetry, and art. Arakano (Argon), a fourth child of Fingolfin, was added to the story late in Tolkien's life. He never finished adding Arakano and couldn't even make up his mind on basic facts, but Oshun presents what we do know about Arakano and how he represents what we see of the Noldor generally in the story. As always, Oshun's essay is information and thought-provoking and well worth a read!

      And, of course, we have a list of stories added to the archive last month, a new Challenge Revisited and Quote of the Month, and news from groups beyond the SWG. As always, my sincerest thanks to our newsletter contributors--Oshun, Rhapsody, and Angelica--who make this great resource happen every month! :)

      Best regards,

      Dawn

      http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/
      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org