Re: [SilmarillionWritersGuild] Well, not much activity here

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM, rwr <dick.richardson@...> wrote:
      > Well, not much activity here, so best be moving along. Good luck with your writing. Keep true to yourself and don't let them grind you down. Keep smiling.

      Yep, we're in one of our quiet phases at the moment. Just let someone mention the right hot-button topic ... ;)

      Best of luck to you!

      Dawn

    • CGL
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        --- On Thu, 1/10/09, Dawn Felagund <DawnFelagund@...> wrote:

        > Yep, we're in one of our quiet phases at the moment. Just let someone
        > mention the right hot-button topic ... ;)

        The Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar in every possible way.

        Discuss.

      • heartofoshun@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
          In a message dated 10/1/2009 1:13:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, il_perfido@... writes:
          The Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar in every possible way.

          Discuss.
          Come on! What's to discuss about that? It is patently obvious on the surface that the Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar--feckless tree huggers over the most brilliant intellects, artists, builders, and craftsmen ever?

        • Alassante7
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
            I have to agree. But then again I think Feanor was just misunderstood. =)

            ~~**~~
            I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge
            JRR Tolkien

             ..·*´¨¨))   -:¦:-
                    ¸.·´  .·´¨¨))  -:|:-
            °º.. Alassante
            .. º°
                -:¦:-    ((¸¸.·´*  -:|:-

            The Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar in every possible way.

            Discuss.
            Come on! What's to discuss about that? It is patently obvious on the surface that the Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar--feckless tree huggers over the most brilliant intellects, artists, builders, and craftsmen ever?

          • Marta
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
              [[ The Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar in every possible way. ]]

              [ Come on! What's to discuss about that? It is patently obvious on the
              surface that the Noldor are clearly superior to the Sindar--feckless tree
              huggers over the most brilliant intellects, artists, builders, and craftsmen
              ever? ]

              To play devil's advocate: It all depends on how you define art. The Noldor
              were great at creating things. At the engineering/scientific side of the
              art. Not that there's anything bad about that (leaving aside Aule's
              propensity to educate certain villains...) I'm just saying that there are
              other types of art. Even the Noldor-biased histories described the beauties
              of Daeron's music and Luthien's dancing. Yes, there's Maglor, but he's known
              more for creating songs than being a performer.

              And lest we forget, it's a man and a Sinda who rescued the Silmaril all by
              themselves. Maedhros's approach didn't work quite so well. And this
              according to a Noldo-written history. :-)

              Marta
            • CGL
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                --- On Fri, 2/10/09, Marta <marta.fandom@...> wrote:

                > And lest we forget, it's a man and a Sinda who rescued the
                > Silmaril all by
                > themselves. Maedhros's approach didn't work quite so well.
                > And this according to a Noldo-written history. :-)

                Well, Lúthien did have the advantage of being Magical-Sue, while Maedhros was plagued by authorial bias on account of that whole oath-and-curse debacle.

                CGL

              • nav_joyi
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Let me see, aren't the Noldor those who marry twice, play with swords, excel at everything, swear interesting oaths, create shiny things and get nasty when they don't get their toys?

                  Bring them on; they make life interesting.

                  The Sindar had a really uneventful life until the pack of Noldor came east with all their wicked ways.

                  But there were people like broody Eol and sweet Luthien who managed to steal a bit of the Noldor limelight...just a wee bit.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Still playing devil's advocate ...

                    On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM, nav_joyi <nav_joyi@...> wrote:
                    > The Sindar had a really uneventful life until the pack of Noldor came east with all their wicked ways.

                    Did they? Since the "histories" are written from a Noldorin PoV, how would we know what went on in Doriath, particularly before the arrival of the Noldor? There could be all sorts of wild things going on in Doriath and we would never know! Perhaps the Girdle of Melian is less to keep the bad guys out and the sordid secrets in? ;)

                    Dawn

                  • nav_joyi
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Perhaps the Girdle of Melian is less to keep the bad guys
                      > out and the sordid secrets in? ;)

                      Really, Dawn, writing all those Feanorian dramas have made you paranoid. To suspect those little elves of Doriath! I am sure that they were model well-behaved paragons of virtue except for the odd orgy or two;)

                      --- In SilmarillionWritersGuild@yahoogroups.com, Dawn Felagund <DawnFelagund@...> wrote:

                      > Still playing devil's advocate ...
                      >
                      > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM, nav_joyi <nav_joyi@...> wrote:
                      > > The Sindar had a really uneventful life until the pack of Noldor came east
                      > with all their wicked ways.
                      >
                      > Did they? Since the "histories" are written from a Noldorin PoV, how would
                      > we know what went on in Doriath, particularly before the arrival of the
                      > Noldor? There could be all sorts of wild things going on in Doriath and we
                      > would never know! Perhaps the Girdle of Melian is less to keep the bad guys
                      > out and the sordid secrets in? ;)
                      >
                      > Dawn
                      >
                      > --
                      > ~oOo~
                      > Dawn Felagund
                      > http://themidhavens.net/heretic_loremaster/
                      > http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org

                    • melissa chandra
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 21, 2010
                        Not necessarily. As the others playing devil's advocate have said before... And don't forget that the Sindar did teach the Noldor many things when they came to Beleriand. Otherwise, the Noldor would have perished or at least diminished under all the onslaught of the enemy's forces. And they did bow before the wrath of Elu Thingol when he banned Quenya from Beleriand - which at that time was all his domain. The Sindar would have been tougher too, having to live under the threat of Morgoth and his minions while the Noldor had prospered in Aman (as someone before has said; sorry, I forget whom). You did not put "the most resilient" under the list of how superior the Noldor was, did you? ;) Under all the pressure and the limit of resources, the Sindar's achievements were thus remarkable on their own way.

                        - Rey