Re: [SilmarillionWritersGuild] How little Mr Little Finwe really was? And who burnt in Losgar?

  • melissa chandra
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2009

      Hi!

      LOL I won’t comment on the names, I think. The professor mixed up some things and put many loose ends which conflict with one another, anyway, like where Orodreth is supposed to be put in the family tree and who is Ereinion’s father. (Hmm. But I am sidetracking here…)

      Ah, Fëanor was truly a genius, was he not? *roll eyes* *grin* But the ‘pretty names’ were not only those, actually. Look at Maedhros’ father name: Nelyufinwë, “Third Finwë.” Thought one couldn’t count, eh? *grin* Perhaps that was why his brood mostly chose their mother names over their father ones, except for Curufin. Personally, I think you were right about the “Last Finwë” reasoning, and, to me, “Little Finwë” means just like that, one of the youngest in the family; since “little” doesn’t only mean “small” in physique in its usage in the language (or at least in English). So actually both were quite similar in meaning… apt for a pair of twins.

      I’m sorry that I can’t help you with the changing of names (and, subsequently, who is supposed to have died in Losgar). I commend your hard work in researching those baffling contradictions, though. But well, I have tried to research about Ereinion’s geneology before, and since then I vowed to myself never to try to match things that can never be paired over in this universe of his. Even the proff’s son couldn’t do it!

      All right. I am rambling… :sheepish: Well, sorry for that, and sorry that I can’t be of much help.

      - Rey