December 2008 Newsletter Posted!

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2008
      Greetings, all,

      I have finished and posted the newsletter for December on our website and LiveJournal:

      http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/news/newsletter.php

      What's new this month? We've got a new challenge, of course, that asks authors to take an ending to a canon story and use it to begin a story. Elwing is the character of the month for December, and Oshun has written a biography about her that is as thought-provoking as usual. In addition to a great summary of the information available on Elwing in the canon, Oshun discusses how Elwing represents the role of women in Tolkien's stories and questions whether she got off easier than other characters for her desertion of her children.

      We've also got some news that might interest some of you. We are looking to expand our newsletter and need column writers. I will make a more detailed post about this later (probably tomorrow); in the meantime, please feel free to check out the announcment in the newsletter and contact us if you think you'd be interested. We've also brought on a new moderator, Angelica. Angelica has been working on the SWG Reference Library since she joined the group; welcome, Angelica, to our moderation staff and thank you for your continued contributions to the group!

      As I've already hinted, 2009 will see some changes to the newsletter, which is much the same that it was when we started, now more than three years ago. If you've wanted to get more involved with the SWG, now is a great time to volunteer. Remember, we can always use more volunteers! Drop us a line at moderator AT silmarillionwritersguild DOT org if you're interested in helping out!

      Best regards,

      Dawn

      www.silmarillionwritersguild.org