Re: [SilmarillionWritersGuild] Introductions?

  • Maedhros
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005

      My turn?

      Even if I use a male alias I’m a chick. I come from Spain, where I currently live, despite I was born in Bonn, Germany. It means that I am not english native, so, cope with me. I am archaeologist, but I work as secretary for one of those large worldwide insurance firms with thousand of employees because, mind, I need to pay my bills and mortgage. Childless for now but have two kitties, females too, Irith and Irien by name (and if you are used to the quenya names of Finwë’s family, you will know who are they).

      I did read LOTR like 20+ years ago (yeah :P), and still love it the same; not really, I love it more, but love The Silmarillion the same... (hang on, not really, I love TS more than LOTR; really I am a Silmarillion person). My favourite characters: Maedhros and Faramir. You name them, I swoon. I love fëanorians or, more exactly, the Sons of Fëanor (personally, I like more Fingolfin than Fëanor, yeah, I am such a fëanorian black sheep).

      I think I began to write tales when I was six, more or less. If I did before, I can’t recall it, but I always loved to write; really, I got my first comp, in 1992, just for the sake to have a good tool to do it; sometimes I think I suffer of Graphophobia, I would write my post-its in a doc (or txt or html...) if I could stick them to my freezer. Don’t ask me why.

      I don’t use to email a lot to the lists I belong; I read most of the messages, though (as far as they interest me, that is), so don’t fear, hardly I would spam this list (unless I have something to say :P). I’m the silent and discreet, unnoticed girl ;) I’m shy, I am not confident with my english and, on the top, I’m a working girl (and we are internet restricted at work), with a life, and have not all the time of the world, so, if I need to choose between to send emails or to read fanfics, aside the compwork I might do (and to RP, because, heh, I’m a rp-aholic Tolkien’s F.A.), I won’t email. So simply as, sometimes, I need to sleep ;)

      Now, for “business”: What I love to read or to write about is, basically, those fanfics (especially if they involve the House of Fëanor/the Noldor/the House of Hador) filling, as I say, “those gaps of the book”. I think most of you will understand what I mean. If they are taking “seriously”, and please take no offence: it means following the books/canon the closer the better, w/o Mary Sues, w/o slash (and w/o Peter Jackson’s innovations).

      Good Humour is welcome too (my, I am having such a great time with Dawn Felagund as her chronicles!). As well as good built AUs, what I name “What if...” For example, “What if Fëanor and Fingolfin had met in Beleriand? :P And I love drabbles.

      That’s all for now.

      M.

    • Amy-chan
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        Salutations! I'm SillyAmyChan and I'm a relatively new Silm writer.
        I'm married and a new mommy, so writing is how I keep my sanity while
        babysitting my own and others!

        I'm unpublished as yet, but I have several WIPs, and many strange and
        wonderful muses. I love taking the glossed-over or omitted parts of
        the Silm and reworking them into thoroughly enjoyable fics that
        nevertheless were totally unintended by the late, great JRRT.

        Among my WIPs: the early history of Celeborn (since Tolkien never
        decided for sure), the "real" parentage of Gil-galad (since
        apparently nobody wanted to claim paternity -- Orodreth or Fingon, or
        someone else entirely?), and Elros and Elrond before they were famous.

        I also count among my muses a Maglor who survived into the Third Age
        and goes by the name Erestor, a pair of tragically doomed silver-
        haired Sindarin peredhil, an Amroth son of Celeborn, and a stunningly
        beautiful reborn Ecthelion who may or may not be hiding somewhere in
        Lothlorien.

        I read slash because there's simply too much subtext to ignore --
        Maedhros/Fingon forever! Also, I enjoy critical essays and scholarly
        papers (*tip of the hat to Tyellas*), a little bit of ansereg (which
        is completely fan-based ritualized BDSM), and a twist of twincest
        (but that's getting more into the LOTR area of the Tolkienverse).
        I'm also a sucker for well thought-out epics and love stories in the
        Elrond/Gil-galad vein. I also enjoy Galadriel/Celeborn,
        Elrond/Celebrian, and anything with a truly original, non-MarySue
        character.

        I didn't know what LOTR was until the movies came out. And yes, I
        was a drooling fangirl for all of about six months before I really
        dug my heels in and started researching; I'm a technical and
        professional writing major, so I'm a research and citations whore. I
        still haven't made it aaaaall the way through the Silm, but I'm
        making it little by little!

        Well, that's me. *holds up shield to deflect any incoming flames*

        ~SillyAmyChan
      • ford_of_bruinen
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 3, 2005
          I should do these too *lol* I am Uli, both in real life and online (i
          just never can keep them seperate) and I write mostly slash stories
          that are otherwise rich in canon references (favourite pairing being
          fingon/maedhros and I love all things canon) and often a bit...
          quirky in some ways..

          I first read Lotr and the Silm when I was 9 year old and have been in
          love with Maedhros ever since, I also have a very weak spot for
          Fingon and most of the houses of Feanor and Fingolfin actually. There
          is just so much strength and intensity in them.

          I am swedish so my grammar and punctuation in particular often
          suffers :P so if I sometimes don't make sense then blame that. :) I
          lived in Belfast with my now husband for a few years before we
          relocated to northern scotland and will soon relocate even further
          north.

          There was a time when I studied literature in university with the
          intention of teaching and being a restless soul I moved around a lot
          and went to three different universites with altogether about 6 years
          of literature and history studies but eventually dropped out (long
          story involving northern irish politics) and am currently a housewife
          which I like. It has still left me a picky reader I'm afraid but then
          I also will read more or less anything as long as the story is good
          and well written.

          Another of my character traits is babbling so I *will* shut up now
          and leave you all in peace before I bore you to death *lol*
        • mirien_isilion
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 4, 2005
            Yikes, ok, here goes, this is me...

            I first read the Silm I don't know when ago and fell in love with it,
            though I can still admit it's tough going if you're not in the mood!
            (this is not something that happens often with me)

            My favourite characters are Maglor (I love bards), Maedhros and
            Fingon, Elu Thingol and Celeborn. There are others *waves admiringly
            at Finrod and blows kiss to Gil-galad*, but I'm a Fëanorian to my
            fingertips, (well, the father and the eldest two anyway) and I beg
            tolerance of my other muses who occasionally behave.

            As for what I do, I trained as an archaelogist and a teacher, worked
            in a bookshop, became a cop/police officer and now have followed true
            Noldor tradition and become a silversmith, and no, I don't mess with
            dodgy jewels, at least not yet!

            I write slash, but also het, gen, whatever the muses dictate (do any
            of us have a choice??) and I am constantly on the lookout for good
            Silm stuff, so this group has been bouncing excitedly!
          • evils_heros
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2005
              My turn! :)

              My pen name is evils hero, a.k.a Evo and also (recently) Curuevo! I
              love the Silm, along with Tolkiens other works, of course, but Silm
              is my favourite! My favourite characters are Maglor, Ecthelion, all
              the Feanorians, and various others!

              I'm a between-education eighteen year old student, "eagerly"
              awaiting my A-level results (13 days till doomsday!) and loving
              learning how to drive (something I fought against with avengance!).
              And my email addy came from a very boring class and a pass-around-
              story! I live in England, sort-of near Manchester, I love reading
              and writing, and I can rant about Ecthelion's greatness with the
              best of them :).

              I originally wrote in another fandom, re-read Silm and Lotr not so
              long ago, became obsessed and searched on the net for good
              fanfiction sites, found HASA, and have since been writing like
              crazy, often thanks to the challenges section!

              I write slash, het, anything, really. Whatever catches my fancy, or
              whichever muse runs out and starts beating me over the head! ;) I'm
              working on a Gondolin-based piece that's actually been going for
              about a year and a far-east-in-Middle-Earth WIP that I can *sense*
              is going to drive me crazy (but in a good way!).

              I hope to get to know a lot of you, and to post things and chat even
              argue!, etc, with like-minded people who love Silm! I'm going to
              stop rambling now...

              See you around,
              Curuevo ;)
            • Enismirdal
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 6, 2005
                Hey Curevo!

                > I live in England, sort-of near Manchester

                Cool, me too! (My parents live on the south side, Sale/Ashton on
                Mersey area.)

                I hope your A-level results are what you're hoping for! (Went through
                that worry just a couple of years ago myself, so I know the feeling!)

                And hiya to everyone else, pleased to meet you!