3578April 2014 Newsletter Posted!

    Apr 3, 2014
      Hi, all,

      Trying to wrap up B2MeM and compile/post the newsletter always makes for a chaotic start to April, and the newsletter is a few days late as a result. However, it is finally finished and posted!

      In this month's edition, Oshun has written a biography of Nuneth, a character known only from Unfinished Tales as the mother of Erendis, Tar-Aldarion's headstrong wife, in the story Aldarion and Erendis: The Mariner's Wife. Unlike many of Tolkien's woman characters, Nuneth not only has a name--itself a noteworthy fact--but has a clear personality and hints of a background, which Oshun explores in this month's biography.

      In group news, the SWG's eighth (!) year participating in Back to Middle-earth Month was again a success! This month's newsletter includes a brief recap and roundup of links relevant to authors, artists, and reviewers looking to finish up their participation this year. The Silmarillion re-read continues on our LiveJournal community with two new chapters open for discussion this month. Visit the News section to read about these and more news items relevant to our group.

      If you're looking for something to write, check out our challenges. April contains Earth Day, so in honor of all things earthy, our challenges this month focus on nature. We open a new challenge this month, "The Living Land," which asks writers to continue Tolkien's tradition of writing about places so vivid and alive that they seem almost like characters themselves. We also revisit "Back to Nature," which asks writers to explore person-versus-nature conflicts. Around the World and Web also contains a few enticing challenges taking place outside of the SWG this month.

      If you're looking for something to read, the newsletter contains a list of stories added to and updated on the archive during the month of March. In Around the World and Web, you will find a list of intriguing articles and resources about Tolkien's world to explore.

      Many thanks to the volunteers who helped put this month's content together: Oshun, Russandol, Angelica, and Rhapsody. I hope everyone enjoys the newsletter!

      Best regards,