DUST REMOVER

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2007
      Hello,
      I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
      reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
      fans, are there any original techniques?
      Frank
    • Frank
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 14, 2007
          First, *never* put a computer on the floor--especially true in dusty
          environments. Elevate it at least a foot or a foot and a half, so the
          intake air is being drawn from a much less dusty pool than it would on
          the floor.

          Next, make a schedule to open the case and vacuum and/or blow it out
          on a routine basis.

          Filters at the intake are of questionable value, mostly because people
          are not very religious about cleaning them. They restrict the intake
          volume, and as they begin to do their job the restriction increases.
          The whole exercise is to keep the air flow up and the heat down, after
          all--and dust on the components makes an insulated blanket that keeps
          them hotter than they should be.

          So the strategy is to reduce the amount that can enter the case, then
          to clean that which does enter on a regular basis...how regular
          depending upon how dusty the area is when properly managed.

          David

          On 7/13/07, Frank <transistortoaster@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
          > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
          > fans, are there any original techniques?
          > Frank
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 15, 2007
            I did observe the problem of restricted air flow with the filters and
            it getting worse with time. The nastiest part is when dust accumulates
            in the CPU heat sink and becomes hard to clean.
            Frank

            --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "David Neeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:

            > First, *never* put a computer on the floor--especially true in dusty
            > environments. Elevate it at least a foot or a foot and a half, so the
            > intake air is being drawn from a much less dusty pool than it would on
            > the floor.
            >
            > Next, make a schedule to open the case and vacuum and/or blow it out
            > on a routine basis.
            >
            > Filters at the intake are of questionable value, mostly because people
            > are not very religious about cleaning them. They restrict the intake
            > volume, and as they begin to do their job the restriction increases.
            > The whole exercise is to keep the air flow up and the heat down, after
            > all--and dust on the components makes an insulated blanket that keeps
            > them hotter than they should be.
            >
            > So the strategy is to reduce the amount that can enter the case, then
            > to clean that which does enter on a regular basis...how regular
            > depending upon how dusty the area is when properly managed.
            >
            > David
            >
            > On 7/13/07, Frank <transistortoaster@...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
            > > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
            > > fans, are there any original techniques?
            > > Frank

          • John Paterson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 15, 2007
              Hello Frank.
              Frequent examination, and cleaning with a grounded vacuum cleaner is a good idea to start with. Regardless of whether there are filters or not.

              By the way, simple mesh on the front openings of some computers seem to work quite well as dust filters. Afterall dust is not a microscopic thing. The trouble with PC cases filters seems to be that they are, in my limited experience, never of enough area. Afterall they should be sized to allow for a lowered flow rate as the filter reduces the rate over a single orifice, or at least the fairly open air pathways that are more common. I think this is why a "clogged" filter will give as much trouble as everyone experiences.

              If the offending components get too bad (and I have seen them get really bad) it can be beyond cleaning in place due to the oil and skin components in dust. The only solution is disassembly and either a thorough solvent cleaning, or replacement. In the case of cleaning it can get very messy. You will also find these oily, black, skin deposits clogging up the air paths around the CD drives and Floppy disk drives of old computers. The gaps around these are effectively simple dust filters that are never cleaned.

              A little cleaning, often is a better approach for your fans and heat sinks.

              This is true no matter where you need to locate your computer. Since dead skin is a major component of dust, desktops are also quite prone to dust from this source. As their screens are usually located on top of them, they are also the last to get cleaned!

              But never underestimate the static propensity of that vacuum cleaner nozzle! Air rushing through the orifice is an excellent static generator. In fact make sure you take great care about static during any heavy cleaning of the heat sinks etc on the motherboard and power supply. It is also a good idea to switch off the power to the computer.

              John.

              ps the worst story I heard about stuff inside a PC was during a servicing class in Perth. In Western Australia this dealership gets PCs back from mine sites and offices with up to 1/2 INCH of iron ore coating the inside of the PC. Standard response is to vacuum them out, retest and repair as necessary (usually nothing wrong with the hardware) and ship back to the customer. The rider is that Western Australian iron ore is so pure that it can be put straight into the smelter. To this day I do not know how they can function with such conductive material in them. Particularly between the bus connectors!

              Be thankful that you have a simple problem Frank.

              I did observe the problem of restricted air flow with the filters and
              it getting worse with time. The nastiest part is when dust accumulates
              in the CPU heat sink and becomes hard to clean.
              Frank

              --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "David Neeley" <dbneeley@...> wrote:

              > First, *never* put a computer on the floor--especially true in dusty
              > environments. Elevate it at least a foot or a foot and a half, so the
              > intake air is being drawn from a much less dusty pool than it would on
              > the floor.
              >
              > Next, make a schedule to open the case and vacuum and/or blow it out
              > on a routine basis.
              >
              > Filters at the intake are of questionable value, mostly because people
              > are not very religious about cleaning them. They restrict the intake
              > volume, and as they begin to do their job the restriction increases.
              > The whole exercise is to keep the air flow up and the heat down, after
              > all--and dust on the components makes an insulated blanket that keeps
              > them hotter than they should be.
              >
              > So the strategy is to reduce the amount that can enter the case, then
              > to clean that which does enter on a regular basis...how regular
              > depending upon how dusty the area is when properly managed.
              >
              > David
              >
              > On 7/13/07, Frank <transistortoaster@...> wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
              > > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
              > > fans, are there any original techniques?
              > > Frank

            • David Neeley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 18, 2007
                The list archives are the first place to look. This was discussed not
                more than two weeks ago.

                Checking recent posts before posting is always a good idea on any mail
                list that maintains such archives. It saves a great deal of
                repetition, and shows respect for the time of other list members.

                Once you've read the archive for its related posts, then ask any
                further questions or make comments about anything that may have been
                omitted in the earlier discussion. That makes the subsequent posts far
                more on point.

                David

                On 7/13/07, Frank <transistortoaster@...> wrote:
                > Hello,
                > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
                > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
                > fans, are there any original techniques?
                > Frank
              • Ken Liu
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 19, 2007
                  I believe this was a duplicate email from the OP - so go easy on the guy.
                  Might even be his ISP's fault for sending the message again.

                  Ken

                  On 7/18/07, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:

                  > The list archives are the first place to look. This was discussed not
                  > more than two weeks ago.
                  >
                  > Checking recent posts before posting is always a good idea on any mail
                  > list that maintains such archives. It saves a great deal of
                  > repetition, and shows respect for the time of other list members.
                  >
                  > Once you've read the archive for its related posts, then ask any
                  > further questions or make comments about anything that may have been
                  > omitted in the earlier discussion. That makes the subsequent posts far
                  > more on point.
                  >
                  > David
                  >
                  > On 7/13/07, Frank <transistortoaster@...<transistortoaster%40fastmail.fm>>
                  > wrote:
                  > > Hello,
                  > > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
                  > > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
                  > > fans, are there any original techniques?
                  > > Frank

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 20, 2007
                    The second post was a complete word for word duplicate of the first
                    one. I did not intend to send it twice. I did a search on dust in the
                    archives before I joined the group.

                    David, here's an idea: look at the post times over here:

                    and compare with the mailing list published times over here:

                    Frank

                    --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Liu" <ken.liu@...> wrote:

                    > I believe this was a duplicate email from the OP - so go easy on the
                    guy.
                    > Might even be his ISP's fault for sending the message again.
                    >
                    > Ken
                    >

                    > On 7/18/07, David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > The list archives are the first place to look. This was
                    discussed not
                    > > more than two weeks ago.
                    > >
                    > > Checking recent posts before posting is always a good idea on any mail
                    > > list that maintains such archives. It saves a great deal of
                    > > repetition, and shows respect for the time of other list members.
                    > >
                    > > Once you've read the archive for its related posts, then ask any
                    > > further questions or make comments about anything that may have been
                    > > omitted in the earlier discussion. That makes the subsequent posts far
                    > > more on point.
                    > >
                    > > David
                    > >
                    > > On 7/13/07, Frank
                    <transistortoaster@...<transistortoaster%40fastmail.fm>>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > Hello,
                    > > > I was just wondering of what kind of precautions can be taken to
                    > > > reduce dust build up in a case. Besides installing filters on the
                    > > > fans, are there any original techniques?
                    > > > Frank

                  • David Neeley
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 20, 2007
                      Frank,

                      I was not intending to be harsh or unhelpful with my reply, nor do I
                      have the time to peruse the archives to determine if a post was resent
                      from some time more than a week before.

                      Instead, since I realize there are people who join email lists with
                      widely varying degrees of experience, and since I also know that there
                      are those who either don't know about the list archives or who are,
                      frankly, too lazy to avail themselves of the information in them when
                      they can simply ask a question of the list--I responded in a fashion
                      which was intended to be helpful if the poster was not aware of the
                      appropriate and most effective methods.

                      Why it would be sent through several times with such wide spacing,
                      however, would seem somewhat of a mystery.

                      David