Re: Need a quiet computer, and don't like Microsoft!

  • davitofr
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 28, 2006
      --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "justinasia" <justinasia@...> wrote:

      > Hello all, and Happy Boxing Day!
      > I have a Toshiba laptop that's on its last legs and need to buy
      > something new. I would like something very quiet. Small would be good
      > too. And either desktop or laptop. Any suggestions?
      >
      > Also Microsoft seems to be so unethical and irritating to function, I
      > am thinking of maybe Linux or Mac. On my Toshiba I was running Ubuntu,
      > which seemed excellant, except or the various software problems (maybe
      > due to my old hardware?) Anyway seemed nicer to me than Windows or
      > Mac. (If only it worked properly!)
      >
      > So are there any great systems with preinstalled Linux or Linux easily
      > working with it? Or do people think the Mac Mini is good, for example?
      >
      > Thank you!
      > Justin

      I have an Asus A6Vm that runs Ubuntu without any problem. Ubuntu even
      saved my data: it detected a disk sector corruption long before XP
      crashed (without any warning), which allowed me to rearrange my
      partitions so that the problem was avoided. Pretty silent too; Asus
      chose to make the fan turn often and slowly (rather than the Dell
      option which was: not often but strong). And I downloaded Notebook
      Hardware Control which gives a good control over temperature and CPU
      frequency. The hard disk makes little clicking noises, though, but not
      very loud ones.

      --
      Frederic Da Vitoria
    • Naoyuki Tai
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2006
        Hi, Justin

        As a BSD user, I'd say that any Macs are good.
        With Fink (http://fink.sourceforge.net/), you can do a lot of things
        really easily.
        I run MythTV frontend on my iBook and watch TV anywhere in the house on it.
        (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Myth_on_Mac_OS_X)

        MacBook is the least expensive laptop from Apple and very capable and small.
        If you don't like the smallish screen size (1280x800), it might not be
        for you.
        MacMini or iMac is really your preference. iMac tends to be less
        reliable than MacMini.
        (Google "reliability mac mini site:macintouch.com". )

        All macs are relatively quiet, but, some units do have noise issues.
        Those comes from manufacturing defects and you can take it back.

        If you want to stick with x86 Linux, there are a couple of places that
        sells laptops with Linux, but, I don't have any personal experience with it.
        I'd probably choose AMD64 x2 laptop as it is cheaper than Intel.

        Good luck.

        --
        Naoyuki "Tai" Tai, ntai a t smartfruit d o t com

        justinasia wrote:

        > Hello all, and Happy Boxing Day!
        > I have a Toshiba laptop that's on its last legs and need to buy
        > something new. I would like something very quiet. Small would be good
        > too. And either desktop or laptop. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Also Microsoft seems to be so unethical and irritating to function, I
        > am thinking of maybe Linux or Mac. On my Toshiba I was running Ubuntu,
        > which seemed excellant, except or the various software problems (maybe
        > due to my old hardware?) Anyway seemed nicer to me than Windows or
        > Mac. (If only it worked properly!)
        >
        > So are there any great systems with preinstalled Linux or Linux easily
        > working with it? Or do people think the Mac Mini is good, for example?
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Justin

      • Michael M
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2007
          I use Mac OS and windows, Mac OS for almost everything, and windows
          for some specific applications, like diablo, and pspad.

          Hardware wise, the mac mini is a wonder of a machine, the motherboard
          has chips on both sides, and the internals are structured to bring
          the air past all of the components in series before passing through
          the fan. It has been some time, but if memory serves me right, the
          air goes from the fan through the CPU heat sink before going around
          an internal baffle, and out the back of the case.

          The power supply is external and passively powered. The only fan in
          the mini is not a fan but a blower.

          The mini has two main drawbacks, and these may not be drawbacks to
          you. The first is the north bridge, the second is the hard drive.

          The north bridge also functions as the video card, and it is not a
          very good one. It shares memory bandwidth with the CPU. Because of
          this, the mini is not a good gaming machine if you play 3D games, or
          do 3D modeling. The video capabilities are about equivalent to a
          GeForce 4 with 64 megs.

          The hard drive is a laptop drive. For improved performance you may
          want to do build to order. You can also connect an external drive via
          one of the ports in the back to make this problem less severe.

          If you are up for it, you can unplug the internal laptop drive, and
          snake a sata cable out to an external drive, instructions are on the
          internet.

          Software wise, I like the Mac OS, and have many years of FreeBSD,
          Solaris, and Linux experience, you can run many of the standard
          applications that you are familiar with on ubuntu. Many have binary
          downloads, others are ported and you will need to use make.

          Apple released BootCamp so that windows users could install XP, but
          nothing for linux, I haven't determined the steps needed to run a
          free unix natively on the mini. If I were to use it, I would probably
          buy Parallels. Parallels is similar to vmware, and allows you to run
          other operating systems, each in it's own window. The only trick is
          (and an option in the current version) is to disable disk caching for
          the parallels application (you don't want to cache the page files ie
          Swap).

          --
          Never attribute to malice what can more easily be explained by incompetence.