Re: [Silent-PC] Great program to save power, decrease temps, save batt in laptops

  • Mon Lee
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
      5528kB! That's 5.5 meg. That's a lot of memory isn't
      it? I think he/she does mean bytes and not kilobytes.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • james
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
        first, windows task manager only displays programs in
        KByte, hence the "K" next to every program.

        second, notepad uses 3,272 K, even System Idle Process
        uses 28 K.

        third, you will never use a program that's only 5496
        bytes. Actually you'll probably never use a program
        that uses less than 1K. "Hello World!" in C is about
        5000 bytes and all it does it display "Hello World!"
        to the screen, it's the first program most programmers
        write when learning programming the first time.

        I did write tic-tac-toe in assembly in college and it
        was less than 4k but come on, who uses assembly to
        write programs anymore?

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mon Lee
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006
          Yeap. You're right. For some reason that seemed kind
          of high to me. I guess I'm still in old DOS and Win
          3.11 days.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mon Lee
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 30, 2006

            --- james <jhassi@...> wrote:

            > first, windows task manager only displays programs
            > in
            > KByte, hence the "K" next to every program.
            >
            > second, notepad uses 3,272 K, even System Idle
            > Process
            > uses 28 K.
            >
            > third, you will never use a program that's only 5496
            > bytes. Actually you'll probably never use a program
            > that uses less than 1K. "Hello World!" in C is
            > about
            > 5000 bytes and all it does it display "Hello World!"
            > to the screen, it's the first program most
            > programmers
            > write when learning programming the first time.
            >
            > I did write tic-tac-toe in assembly in college and
            > it
            > was less than 4k but come on, who uses assembly to
            > write programs anymore?
            >

            > --- Mon Lee <mon_wah_lee@...> wrote:
            >
            > > 5528kB! That's 5.5 meg. That's a lot of memory
            > > isn't
            > > it? I think he/she does mean bytes and not
            > > kilobytes.
            > >
            > > --- james <jhassi@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > "TaskSwitchXP uses 5496 bytes in memory"
            > > >
            > > > I'm guessing you mean SpeedswitchXP and that's
            > > > kBytes,
            > > > not bytes. It uses 5528 k on the laptop, 4500
            > on
            > > > the
            > > > desktop but i don't have all the features turned
            > > on
            > > > on
            > > > the desktop.
            > > >
            > > > looking at the photos of SpeedswitchXP I can
            > tell
            > > > you
            > > > NHC looks much better, it displays the current
            > mhz
            > > > in
            > > > the taskbar with a bar meter showing cpu
            > > > utilization,
            > > > time left on battery, percentage of battery life
            > > > left.
            > > > See pictures:
            > > > http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm
            > > >

            > > > --- Frederic Da Vitoria <davitofl@...>

            > are
            > > > 15

            > time
            > > so
            > with
            > > > the
            > it
            > > > much

            > my
            > > month.

            > > SpeedSwitchXP
            > > >

            > (http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html)
            > > > for
            > > > working
            > but
            > (such
            > > > as
            > > > memory.

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Frederic Da Vitoria
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 31, 2006
              Right, SpeedSwitchXP. And right, KBytes.

              My previous memory usage was incorrect. I had checked history log, so
              this was worse than the minimum. Now, it is slightly less: 3528Kb

              I intend to try NHC. to see if what it does with my nVidia graphics
              adapter. Then I will say what I think.

              james 28/08/2006 19:27:

              --
              Frederic Da Vitoria
            • Frederic Da Vitoria
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                I have installed NHC a few hours ago. Here are my first impressions.

                The interface is indeed nice. It manages to include much more options
                than SpeedSwitchXP and remain clear at the same time. NHC has correctly
                detected my nVidia graphics adapter and is switching its mode depending
                on whether I am using the battery or on AC. It has a few seemingly
                powerful options such as ACPI programming (though this seems difficult
                to use and the forum is in German) and CPU voltage control (to limit
                heating and energy usage). I have been using CPU voltage control for a
                few days now without any problem on AC as well as on battery.

                The memory usage is strange. It oscillates between 2268 to 5312 Kbytes.
                Anyhow, it is better than SpeedSwitchXP

                Everything would be perfect but for three problems:
                1 - the fonts used by the icons are too small. The developer is young
                and/or he has a good pair of spectacles. The remaining battery time
                black on blue display is difficult to read for me and there is no way to
                choose either the font size, face or color.
                2 - the way NHC handles the tray bar icons. Although NHC gives the user
                almost full control over which tray icons he will display, these options
                are split in two: battery icons and "advanced settings" icons. NHC
                persists on keeping at least one tray bar icon (which I can understand,
                without it, the user couldn't easily invoke NHC's user interface), but
                this icon must be an "advanced settings" icon.
                3 - The user forum is in German.

                But these problems won't prevent me from using NHC on my laptop. It is
                indeed obviously very efficient, much more detailed than SpeedSwitchXP
                and reliable.

                My next step is to use NHC on a desktop. My wife uses a Shuttle Zen with
                a Centrino (I just had a problem the the Zen's motherboard, BTW). I
                activated yesterday SpeedFan's log to get an idea of the current
                temperatures. In a few days, I will install NHC and see how much it does
                reduce temperature.

                Frederic Da Vitoria 31/08/2006 16:44:

                --
                Frederic Da Vitoria
              • james
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 6, 2006
                  The reason it keeps the desktop so cool is it has the
                  ability to underclock the processor. My stock speeds
                  are 2.4ghz (AMD64 4000+) and when running NHC it drops
                  it down to 1.35ghz, keeping the CPU at room temp
                  (24-26 C). I don't know how well it'll work on a
                  Centrino but it should, however I have a friend with
                  dual core pentium and he said NHC couldn't underclock
                  his processor.

                  Good news: they just released NHC 2.0 with several
                  fixes. That's another good thing about NHC: in the
                  past year the developer has released 6 updates to it,
                  so it's not some stagnant program with bugs that'll
                  never get fixed if you find a flaw.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Frederic Da Vitoria
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 22, 2006
                    Wrong processor name in my previous message: my wife has a Celeron, not
                    a Centrino (which is not a processor anyway). If it had been a Centrino,
                    it could have worked, of course, just as it did in my laptop. But she
                    has a plain Celeron, unable to adjust it's ferquency, so just as
                    expected, nothing happened. NHC obviously knew it: it did not offer me
                    voltage adjustments. After a few days of tests (and logging), I got
                    about the same temperatures all in all. The adjustment of the ATI
                    graphics apparently didn't change anything :-( Good point: NHC didn't
                    break anything, it just proved useless in this case.

                    On my laptop, I am still quite happy with it. Setting NHC to Dynamic
                    Switching both on AC and on battery. On battery, dynamic switching has
                    almost no longevity penalty (the ASUS option was to force the processor
                    to it's lowest wpeed), and on AC the ventilator switches to high speed
                    much less frequently, which is quite an improvment!

                    james 07/09/2006 02:08:

                    --
                    Frederic Da Vitoria