RE: [Silent-PC] Quiet Alpha...

  • Tim Handley
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 7, 2001
      The C3 is not a high performance chip.  It was designed for it's low power consumption and cool operation which makes it ideal for small form factor designs, i.e. low cooling requirement.  Check out this video: http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2001nov/bch20011106008711.htm.  I'd say that you could compare the performance to the Celeron, although with only 64KB of L2 cache, the 3D graphics performance is not the greatest.  It does perform well enough for the average user, so it is ideal for a home entertainment system for DVD, MP3 and casual gaming (even 3D casual gaming).  But for the hard core gamer, AMD have proved to be the best I reckon.  The C3 is pin for pin compatible with the PIII and Celeron and is totally MS compatible.  Check it out: http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/products/C3/c3.jsp

      We are building a quiet home broadband gateway/server/entertainment system at the moment and will publish an article on how we built it on our silent PC site (http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/products/C3/C3_silent.jsp) in a few weeks time.  I'll let this groupknow when we publish it.

      Tim

      Message 46 of 46 , Nov 21, 2001
        --- In Silent-PC@y..., Alan Jaffray <jaffray@p...> wrote:
        > Could you pass along the quote you get, just so we have an idea
        > of pricing? I sent them mail once, a while back, and never heard
        > from them.

        I just got a quote of $1,400 US for a pretty up-to-date system. I
        asked them what the shipping would cost and am waiting for an asnwer
        to that.

        --

        Michael Trigoboff
        MLT Software, Inc.