Re: [Silent-PC] Need help selecting configuration...

  • David Neeley
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 22, 2004
      Unless I am mistaken, the P4 may be about the same -- or perhaps
      *more* -- of an energy consumer than the A64 (don't know because of
      the overclocking), I would think it should be fine so long as the
      contact surface is an appropriate size.

      David

      On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:49:56 -0800 (PST), James Hassinger
      <jhassi@...> Upgrading from a p4
      > 1.5ghz at 2.35ghz to a Athlon 64 3000+ currently
      > (still waiting on mb), I'll let you know how far it
      > goes.
    • James Hassinger
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 22, 2004
        i believe you're right. From what I've been reading
        these A64 3000+ reach 4000+ (4ghz equivalent) speeds
        with ease, even with the retail hsf.
        http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD05MzM=

        according to tomshardware that should result in double
        the framerates on games at the stock speed and well
        over double if I manage to overclock to 4000+:
        http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html

        That's a huge leap in performance, probably the
        largest jump in performance due to a new cpu I've ever
        made. If the benchmarks are correct I should notice a
        huge improvement in games like half-life 2. The
        motherboard arrived late this evening, I'll setup
        everything tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

        --- David Neeley <dbneeley@...> wrote:
        > Unless I am mistaken, the P4 may be about the same
        > -- or perhaps
        > *more* -- of an energy consumer than the A64 (don't
        > know because of
        > the overclocking), I would think it should be fine
        > so long as the
        > contact surface is an appropriate size.
        >
        > David
        >

        > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:49:56 -0800 (PST), James
        > Hassinger
        > <jhassi@...> Upgrading from a p4
        > > 1.5ghz at 2.35ghz to a Athlon 64 3000+ currently
        > > (still waiting on mb), I'll let you know how far
        > it
        > > goes.

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • toddk111
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 22, 2004
          With watercooling, I will have to worry about possible water leakage
          down the line. I just want something simple (bolt-on) & reliable so
          I can have my HTPC. I don't want or need to overclock or game on
          this machine. Any recommendations?

          --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, James Hassinger <jhassi@y...> wrote:
          > water cooling only costs a fortune if you buy a
          > complete kit. A radiator that fits two 120mm fans is
          > only $20, quiet 120mm fans are only $5 each +
          > shipping, pumps can be found for cheap (<$20 +
          > shipping), tubing is a few dollars at most. The most
          > expensive part is the water block for the cpu, but
          > even that can be found for $20 if you look around:
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6730934955
          >
          > Total, less than $100 with shipping for everything.
          > Considering you'll spend at least half that on a good
          > hsf and that hsf is only good until they change the
          > socket I'd say it's money well spend. My
          > water-cooling system has been through several socket
          > changes and it still works great. Upgrading from a p4
          > 1.5ghz at 2.35ghz to a Athlon 64 3000+ currently
          > (still waiting on mb), I'll let you know how far it
          > goes.
          >

          > --- toddk111 <toddk111@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello,
          > > I have a ASUS A7n8x-Deluxe motherboard with an AMD
          > > 3200 processor and
          > > three hard drives. I'd like to use it for a home
          > > theater PC but the
          > > power supply and CPU heatsink fans are too loud
          > > (like a jet engine).
          > > Since HTPC cases tend to be smaller, what would be
          > > the recommended
          > > powersupply and heatsink to purchase in order to get
          > > a near silent
          > > HTPC with good airflow? Please keep in mind that I
          > > don't want to
          > > spend a fortune on watercooling.
          > > Thanks for your help,
          > > Todd

          > Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
          > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
        • Arthur Gerla
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 23, 2004
            --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "toddk111" wrote:
            > I don't want or need to overclock or game on
            > this machine. Any recommendations?

            Check out Shuttle's Zen XPC ST62K. With only one case fan, a heatpipe
            for the processor and an external fanless power supply it should be a
            fine off-the-shelf silent system if you fit it with the right
            harddisk.

            Art
          • toddk111
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 23, 2004
              Thanks for the suggestion but I'd like to stay away from buying
              another machine. I have a shuttle SN41G2 which I regret due to it's
              loud fan (the ST62K came out shortly after I bought mine). I really
              just want to find a good near silent power supply and heatsink (non
              water cooled). Any suggestions?

              --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Gerla" <silent-pc-
              list@g...> wrote:

              > --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "toddk111" wrote:
              > > I don't want or need to overclock or game on
              > > this machine. Any recommendations?
              >
              > Check out Shuttle's Zen XPC ST62K. With only one case fan, a
              heatpipe
              > for the processor and an external fanless power supply it should be
              > fine off-the-shelf silent system if you fit it with the right
              > harddisk.
              >
              > Art
            • Lee
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 23, 2004
                On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 15:47:11 -0000, toddk111 <toddk111@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the suggestion but I'd like to stay away from buying
                > another machine. I have a shuttle SN41G2 which I regret due to it's
                > loud fan (the ST62K came out shortly after I bought mine). I really
                > just want to find a good near silent power supply and heatsink (non
                > water cooled). Any suggestions?

                For a power supply you can't go wrong with a Seasonic Super Tornado
                for $65 http://www.siliconacoustics.com/seasonicsupertornado.html.
                Almost totally silent.

                For a cpu cooler I have great success with Thermalright SLK-948(U) on
                my AMD64. $30 It accepts both 80mm and 92mm fans, and there was a huge
                difference! I get way lower CPU temps with the 92 mm fan (Panaflow at
                about 10 v) than with the 80mm that I tried.

                --
                Lee
              • James Hassinger
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 23, 2004
                  I've read bad things about the fanless power supplies,
                  about them getting extremely hot, etc, have you heard
                  anything good to be recommending one?

                  --- Arthur Gerla <silent-pc-list@...> wrote:

                  > --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "toddk111" wrote:
                  > > I don't want or need to overclock or game on
                  > > this machine. Any recommendations?
                  >
                  > Check out Shuttle's Zen XPC ST62K. With only one
                  > case fan, a heatpipe
                  > for the processor and an external fanless power
                  > supply it should be a
                  > fine off-the-shelf silent system if you fit it with
                  > the right
                  > harddisk.
                  >
                  > Art

                  http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                • Micael Beronius
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 24, 2004
                    On Friday 24 December 2004 02.17, James Hassinger wrote:
                    >I've read bad things about the fanless power supplies,
                    >about them getting extremely hot, etc

                    Well, hot isn't necessary bad, as long as heat was considered while the unit
                    where designed.

                    Personally, my next power supply will be the silverstone heatpiped PS, which
                    indeed gets hot in the back, but that's OK by me (the heat is lead there by
                    the heat pipes, which just proves the thermal design is working).

                    I find silentpcreview.com being the best source for information regarding
                    power supply, so toddk111; head over there if you have not yet checked it
                    out.

                    - Micael
                  • James Hassinger
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 24, 2004
                      did you not like the stock retail fan? I recently put
                      together a amd64 system and the stock retail fan is
                      pretty damn quiet, even when it's just laying open
                      here on the table, and if that's too loud i believe
                      there's programs that allow you to adjust the fan rpm
                      to make it even quieter.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 24, 2004
                        The cpu I bought didn't come with the fan and HS, but it's encouraging
                        to hear that the retail fan is quiet. Had I seen that info prior to my
                        purchase I may have bought a retail cpu package with stock HS and
                        fan.

                        On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 11:18:28 -0800 (PST), James Hassinger
                        <jhassi@...> wrote:

                        > did you not like the stock retail fan? I recently put
                        > together a amd64 system and the stock retail fan is
                        > pretty damn quiet, even when it's just laying open
                        > here on the table, and if that's too loud i believe
                        > there's programs that allow you to adjust the fan rpm
                        > to make it even quieter.
                        >

                        > --- Lee <leeb00@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > For a cpu cooler I have great success with
                        > > Thermalright SLK-948(U) on
                        > > my AMD64. $30 It accepts both 80mm and 92mm fans,
                        > > and there was a huge
                        > > difference! I get way lower CPU temps with the 92 mm
                        > > fan (Panaflow at
                        > > about 10 v) than with the 80mm that I tried.
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > Lee

                        Lee
                      • Don Sturgiss
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 26, 2005
                          Dear Todd,

                          Sorry, but I've been away for a bit.

                          I have been using the SilentX CPU coolers for a while and they are very quiet. They are also heavy and expensive. I will soon be getting a Thermaltake XP-90 cooler to test it against the SilentX, probably both with SilentX fans. In either case, you are looking at $50 plus. But the SilentX coolers do work well if you aren't pushing your hardware hard. It is for cooling of light-to-medium use hardware, not an OC'd monster. Just remember to use your Arctic Silver, etc.

                          They are large. In fact, I have seen no short, good coolers. Maybe someone else can mention what they have found. The SilentX cooler needs about 4"+ of headroom so air can get to the fan.

                          Good luck,

                          "Doc" Don Sturgiss, the Computer Doctor
                          Proud sponsor of allforart.com

                          With watercooling, I will have to worry about possible water leakage
                          down the line. I just want something simple (bolt-on) & reliable so
                          I can have my HTPC. I don't want or need to overclock or game on
                          this machine. Any recommendations?

                          --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, James Hassinger <jhassi@y...> wrote:
                          > water cooling only costs a fortune if you buy a
                          > complete kit. A radiator that fits two 120mm fans is
                          > only $20, quiet 120mm fans are only $5 each +
                          > shipping, pumps can be found for cheap (<$20 +
                          > shipping), tubing is a few dollars at most. The most
                          > expensive part is the water block for the cpu, but
                          > even that can be found for $20 if you look around:
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6730934955
                          >
                          > Total, less than $100 with shipping for everything.
                          > Considering you'll spend at least half that on a good
                          > hsf and that hsf is only good until they change the
                          > socket I'd say it's money well spend. My
                          > water-cooling system has been through several socket
                          > changes and it still works great. Upgrading from a p4
                          > 1.5ghz at 2.35ghz to a Athlon 64 3000+ currently
                          > (still waiting on mb), I'll let you know how far it
                          > goes.
                          >

                          > --- toddk111 <toddk111@y...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > Hello,
                          > > I have a ASUS A7n8x-Deluxe motherboard with an AMD
                          > > 3200 processor and
                          > > three hard drives. I'd like to use it for a home
                          > > theater PC but the
                          > > power supply and CPU heatsink fans are too loud
                          > > (like a jet engine).
                          > > Since HTPC cases tend to be smaller, what would be
                          > > the recommended
                          > > powersupply and heatsink to purchase in order to get
                          > > a near silent
                          > > HTPC with good airflow? Please keep in mind that I
                          > > don't want to
                          > > spend a fortune on watercooling.
                          > > Thanks for your help,
                          > > Todd

                          > Dress up your holiday email, Hollywood style. Learn more.
                          > http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          Get unlimited calls to

                          U.S./Canada