ear plugs as grommets?

  • stubish
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
      Hey all,
      had an idea. don't know if it's been done before. for mounting
      all screws. what's to stop me putting in the cheapo ear plugs as
      makeshift grometts. just drill a hole through the middle and screw
      away.

      suggestions?

      regards
      Stuart
    • Andrew Hon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2003
        Just Do It (and tell us how well it works!)

        Cheers,
        Andrew

        had an idea. don't know if it's been done before. for mounting
        all screws. what's to stop me putting in the cheapo ear plugs as
        makeshift grometts. just drill a hole through the middle and screw
        away.

        suggestions?

        regards
        Stuart

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • JReeder460@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
          stubish@... writes:

          > Hey all,
          > had an idea. don't know if it's been done before. for mounting
          > all screws. what's to stop me putting in the cheapo ear plugs as
          > makeshift grometts. just drill a hole through the middle and screw
          > away.
          >
          > suggestions?
          >
          > regards
          > Stuart

          Nothing. Should work fine.

          Regards,

          Rusk

        • John Paterson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2003
            Hi Stuart.

            Perhaps it would be easier to drill the holes if the ear plugs were deep frozen first.

            Otherwise, I agree with everone else, and will be trying them myself.

            John.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2003
              What a wacky idea!
              I wonder if earplugs might also work well as vibration-absorbing feet
              for PC cases?
            • David Neeley
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2003
                "I wonder if earplugs might also work well as
                vibration-absorbing feet for PC cases?"

                I doubt it, since every earplug I've seen is so soft it'd
                collapse into a very small thickness by the weight of a PC.

                Over the years, at various trade shows and promotions, I've
                been given a ton of mouse pads. These can be pretty good
                vibration isolators for cases when put underneath. If you
                want to get fancy about it, I suppose you could laminate a
                few layers together with a good adhesive and stick the
                thicker pieces to the case...but I'm not willing to go to
                the trouble! When the pads are under the case, properly
                positioned, they are not seen anyway!

                David

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • stubish
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2003
                  thanks for all the input. I'm gonna try this as soon as I can.

                  Just a quick question. About grounding? Is there anything I will need
                  to ground if I try this? such as HDD's or the power supply ect?

                  cheers
                  Stuart

                  --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "stubish" <stubish@s...> wrote:
                  > Hey all,
                  > had an idea. don't know if it's been done before. for
                  mounting
                  > all screws. what's to stop me putting in the cheapo ear plugs as
                  > makeshift grometts. just drill a hole through the middle and screw
                  > away.
                  >
                  > suggestions?
                  >
                  > regards
                  > Stuart
                • John Bertram
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15, 2003
                    I would certainly suggest you keep your power supply and hard drive
                    grounded to the case with a soft flexible wire. Radio shack sells
                    test lead wire which would be very good for preventing noise
                    transmission. It is extremely flexible with fine copper wire
                    strands and has a nice silicone jacket. I've also found test lead
                    wire at Fry's.

                    Cheers!

                    John Bertram

                    --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "stubish" <stubish@s...> wrote:
                    > thanks for all the input. I'm gonna try this as soon as I can.
                    >
                    > Just a quick question. About grounding? Is there anything I will
                    need
                    > to ground if I try this? such as HDD's or the power supply ect?
                    >
                    > cheers
                    > Stuart
                    >
                    > --- In Silent-PC@yahoogroups.com, "stubish" <stubish@s...> wrote:
                    > > Hey all,
                    > > had an idea. don't know if it's been done before. for
                    > mounting
                    > > all screws. what's to stop me putting in the cheapo ear plugs as
                    > > makeshift grometts. just drill a hole through the middle and
                    screw
                    > > away.
                    > >
                    > > suggestions?
                    > >
                    > > regards
                    > > Stuart
                  • Mirar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 15, 2003
                      > Just a quick question. About grounding? Is there anything I will need
                      > to ground if I try this? such as HDD's or the power supply ect?

                      There's ground wires enough in the computer anyway, but if you want to
                      play it safe, make sure the PSU and case are connected, and the wall
                      plug you use have a ground pin.

                      HDD's doesn't mind much if they are grounded or not.

                      /Mirar