A bicylcle day tour to the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina

  • Shelley Smail
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2007
      Hello Friends -

      Gino, from Chico is planning a bicycle day tour to the Abbey of New Clairvaux in Vina
      on Saturday, October 13.  This looks like great fun!  Please email me if you would like to go so I can notify Gino.  If you got this notice on chico bike rides email as well, go ahead and reply to Gino directly. I may be going, but unable to confirm right now.  Have a great day!
      Coach Shelley

      THE BIG IDEA
      We will load our trusty steeds up with enough food to have a picnic at
      the Abbey. We will arrive before 11am for a tour of the Abbey, then
      listen to the monks chanting at 12:15 (very short service, they say),
      then picnic and wine tasting. Then, ride home, or elsewhere!

      THE PROPOSED ROUTE
      The ride will start at 9:00am at the Euro Café at the corner of
      Cohassett and Eaton in north Chico. The route follows low-traffic
      rural roads, and is approximately 22 easy-flat-and-beautiful miles
      each way.

      I've mapped the proposed route on Bikely, here:
      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Abbey-of-New-Clairvaux-round-trip

      WHO IS COMING?
      Please let me know off list if you plan to attend. The nice folks at
      the monastery need to know how many people to expect.

      PLEASE NOTE
      As much as Chico loves racing, this ride is not a race. This will be a
      slowish and enjoyable tour via bicycle to enjoy one of the cultural
      attractions and wineries in our area. There will be riders of all
      abilities. We will go as a group, and arrive as a group. When you
      leave is up to you.

      RESOURCES
      Here are some useful links:
      http://www.newclairvaux.org/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbey_of_New_Clairvaux
      http://infospigot.typepad.com/photos/new_clairvaux_road_trip/
      http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Abbey-of-New-Clairvaux-round-trip

      I'm really looking forward to this little fall adventure, and I hope
      you can join.  There are  many lodging options in Chico if you want to stay in a hotel.

      P.S.
      Keep in mind that we're going to a monastery. Dress accordingly (hint:
      spandex suits and clicky shoes probably aren't the best idea).

      --
      Shelley Marenka Smail
      USA Cycling Coach