Cotton vs. Poly

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 24 9:30 AM
      I've been embroidering for about a year now and loving it! I've tried so many different things and really have had fun. When I purchased the machine the lady I bought it from suggested strongly using polyester thread. So that's all I've used. I was wondering if any of you have used cotton thread to embroider and what advice you could give. THANKS!

      Jenn S.
    • bevsews2
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29 5:46 AM
        Jenn: I mainly use rayon thread for machine embroidery. I like the sheen of those threads. Poly thread is fine, and is recommended if the embroidered item will be bleached. I don't use bleach for laundry, so that's never been an issue for me, and I have stuck with rayon threads.

        Bev in NJ

        --- In SiCKDesigns@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <jsmith27051@...> wrote:

        > I've been embroidering for about a year now and loving it! I've tried so many different things and really have had fun. When I purchased the machine the lady I bought it from suggested strongly using polyester thread. So that's all I've used. I was wondering if any of you have used cotton thread to embroider and what advice you could give. THANKS!
        >
        > Jenn S.

      • Irish Creme
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29 6:48 AM
          I tried cotton once. It seemed to snag a lot more. I have several spools of Madeira Lena however that I am anxious to digitize for. Poly colors are usually brighter and definitely more long lasting then cotton.

          Now everyone else tell me why I'm wrong. LOL.

        • Jolene Ehret
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 30 5:58 AM
            What i have read is that the Poly emb thread is for most items, or any
            items you do. They do stand up to regular washing. Rayon is a good
            thread but better for decorative items that do not need frequent
            washing. Most sites like www.emblibrary.com have sections with advice on
            different things about embroidery.
            Cheers Jolene
            On 9/29/2011 8:48 AM, Irish Creme wrote:
            > I tried cotton once. It seemed to snag a lot more. I have several spools of Madeira Lena however that I am anxious to digitize for. Poly colors are usually brighter and definitely more long lasting then cotton.
            >
            > Now everyone else tell me why I'm wrong. LOL.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mallenduluth
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 30 6:37 AM
              I use Mettler 30wt and 60wt cotton and have never had a problem with either. 30wt is heavier and does a beautiful job on some the lace doily designs where you really want it to look like crochet or tatting. The 60wt being finer can be used when you don't want the sheen of rayon or poly. I like it for faces etc. Also have used DMC which is 50wt. Years ago these were the first brands available to the home sewing market so that is when I started using them - 30/35 years ago. Never any problems with them, but every brand of thread takes a little different touch to achieve the best results.