WANTED: Project Archeologist (Austin, Texas)
WANTED: PROJECT ARCHEOLOGIST
Horizon Environmental Services, Inc., (Horizon) is seeking to fill a Project Archeologist position in its Austin, Texas, office. Candidate must have extensive background in Prehistoric Archeology (experience in Historic Archeology a plus), and will have extensive field supervisory, data analysis, and technical reporting responsibilities as well as some marketing and business development duties. This is a full-time, salaried position, though successful candidates may be subject to a three-month probationary period during which the candidate’s qualifications and ability to execute all job functions will be evaluated prior to full hire. Local (Austin-area) applicants will be strongly preferred.
Candidates must minimally possess the following:
* M.A./M.S. or other qualifying advanced degree in Anthropology, Archeology, or a closely related field.
* Minimum of 5 years of continuous or equivalent archeological field experience in Cultural Resource Management (CRM), including at least 2 years of management or supervisory experience at the Project Archeologist level.
* Familiarity with state and federal cultural resource laws and implementing regulations regarding cultural resource management projects.
* Meets the Secretary of the Interior’s minimum standards for archeologists and qualifies for status as a Registered Professional Archeologist (RPA) through the Register of Professional Archeologists.
* Have in hand (or be able to obtain) Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) precertifications in the relevant categories (2.10.1, Archeological Surveys, *required*; additional categories a plus).
* Documented experience writing cultural resource technical reports for compliance purposes under state and federal historic preservation laws
* Excellent writing, management, and interpersonal skills.
* Proven ability to manage technical and administrative matters related to CRM project initiation, field investigations, reporting, and budgetary matters.
* Proven ability to work with regulatory agencies, clients, and public audiences regarding cultural resources projects conducted for compliance purposes.
* Ability to supervise and lead an effective team for field and laboratory activities.
* Proven ability to communicate effectively and efficiently both verbally and in writing.
* Willingness to travel within Texas and surrounding states.
* Ability and willingness to market Horizon’s CRM services to private sector clients and state and federal agencies.
* Familiarity with current anthropological, archeological, and historical theoretical issues, methods, and regional literature in order to employ sound scientific principles so that technical reports are scientifically sound and acceptable for regulatory review.
Horizon offers highly competitive salary and benefits packages and the opportunity to work in a dynamic, integrated environment with other cultural resource and environmental professionals. This is a full-time, salaried position with full benefits (paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; insurance; and 401(k) plan), though successful candidates may be subject to a three-month probationary period prior to full hire depending on experience and qualifications. Salary is commensurate with educational and professional experience. Interested parties must submit (mail/fax/e-mail) a letter of interest, resume, writing samples, salary requirements, and at least 3 references to:
Russ Brownlow, M.A., R.P.A.
Principal / Cultural Resources Director
Horizon Environmental Services, Inc.
2600 Dellana Lane, Suite 200
Austin, Texas 78746
Phone: (512) 328-2430
Fax: (512) 328-1804
Successful candidates must pass a drug test as a condition of hire and may be subject to random drug screening.