File - reminder.txt

  • shovelbums@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2003
      This is your friendly monthly reminder to encourage for CRM firms using this list to include the minimum salary range for posted positions. If advertising for hourly wages please post a clear description of the hourly rate + perdiem rates. if offered. What I mean by a clear description is that if there are variances in how money is distributed, i.e. if perdiem is cash or receipt only (where possible I strongly encourage the use of cash perdiem), if perdiem is reduced on the weekend, or for you to be able to get the maximum amount of weekend perdiem you have to meet specific requirements such as sharing a room, etc... Just be clear and honest, you know what I am getting at here. As a side note I encourage firms to budget so that you have only one professional to a room - you do not see other professions sticking two to three crew in the same hotel rooms, so budget proposals accordingly. If you are getting contracts because you are underbidding your competition by short changing your crew on living accomodations and salary, you need to rethink how you are doing business. The business of CRM is not about getting the contract by low balling the competition, it is about doing great CRM & archaeology work and creating a profession we can all be proud of AND (this is critical) retain new talent. We are all tired of seeing promising young people getting burned out and leaving the career because they can not make car payments and student loans. Your support in posting these clear job descriptions is greatly appreciated. I do not delete postings without wages, in particular because some firms HR divisions do not allow the posting of wages. However I would strongly encourage you to ask your HR for a variance to allow you to include these details. No one is going to put you out of business by seeing what your salaries are, and heck, if the folks in the next state are paying better, you can use that for a reason to raise your rates, bill for a better overhead, and have more resources to do better work!

      Better pay works for all of us. You are a professional business, so invoice like a professional business.

      Note for small mom & pop firms: I strongly encourage all small firms to attend classes sponsored by ACRA-L or your local small business administration in how to run and bill for a business. I have attended the ACRA sponsored classes at the SAA meetings and it is an incredibly informative and will help you to grow a successful and profitable firm that does good work.

      Note for crew and staff: For people who are working for firms, or by contract, do yourself a service also by becoming educated in the basics on how business works. Business is a concept foreign to almost all of us, but if you understand the principles behind why a firm is only paying you $15/hr but is billing the client $32.00/hr for you it will make you a happier and well education employee. Most CRM & Archaeology firms are not out there to screw you over, running a business is a very expensive proposition and many of these extra dollars are eaten up in ways you can not even imagine.
      To support this free service please ask your HR and staff to use http://store.shovelbums.org for online purchases. These proceeds from this store are greatly appreciated. Best, R. Joe
    • shovelbums@yahoogroups.com