312examples for the upAsaka

  • krishnarao l
    Jul 12, 2010
      From :- kR^iShNArAv (lanka.krishnarao1@...)
      subject :- examples for the upAsaka
      SrIgurussarvakAraNaBhUtA Saktih |
      SrImahAgaNAdhipatayEnamah || Examples for the upAsaka
      1) SrImannArAyaNa one day appeared before Bhakta prahlAda to spend some time with him. prahlAda`s pleasure was unbounded. He prostrated before nArAyaNa and accomplished all the ShOdSOpacAra pUjAs with utmost and great adoration. They both spent some time conversing about so many aspects in detail. At last nArayaNa got up and said "prahlAda, I must go now. There are so many other devotees waiting for me, I will have to attend and satisfy them too". prahlAda became shockingly sad and weeping. "But how can I live without you O` god? Please don't go leaving me here. I can`t allow you to go". nArAyaNa persuasively told him "You should not be obstinate prahlAda, I got so many works to attend. If you leave me now, I will give you anything you want. I will endow you with any amount of riches and pleasures you want, but you must allow me to go."
      prahlAda adamantly said : "I got everything with me my lord, I don't want anything except you. You should not leave me." nArAyaNa again said : "I will endow you what you are lacking , I will make you the lord of swargalOKA, but you must leave me my boy." But prahlAda was unyielding. He said, "I don`t consider swargalOka is greater than my own motherland at all. I don't want it at all. I want you only."
      nArAyaNa again tried to convince him. " prahlAda, lakshmidEvi is waiting for me. I must attend her. You must understand and leave me now. I will give you whatever you want, including lakshmidevi to live at your residence, make you the lord of my vaikunThalOka, and everything of my own for you, but you must leave me now ."
      prahlAda broke into a laughter and said, " If you are the person who can endow me all these things, why should I aspire any of them and leave you my lord?"
      ………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
      2) There was one jangama dEvara who used to live upon some meager amounts, earned by selling mattresses made of some collected old cloth pieces, stitch together like a thick pad to use as a bed cloth (in telugu it is called "bontha.") He was once initiated pancAkShari `Om namaSSivAya' by his guru with which he is always reciting day and night while doing his routine duties for more than fifty years.
      Lord Siva and pArvati while passing through in the skies in their routine modus operandi, to observe the happenings of the universe, they were looking at this jangam also. One day pArvati asked Siva "nAtha, are you not looking at this poor man who is so sincerely doing pancAkShari japa since so many years? Why did you not bless him with some riches, so that he can do japa more easily?" Siva replied "you don`t know about this man pArvati, we can`t do anything here. Please keep quiet.". But parvati did not agree with Siva. She reiterated saying "You are a man after all. Your heart is stony hard. You will not have enough kindness. But mine is the mother`s heart. I can`t keep quiet seeing my son suffering with hardships. At any cost you must give him all the needed boons right now. Siva again tried to convince her, but however accepted to follow her to appear before the jangam.
      But the jangam was deeply immersed in his sewing work and not at all looking at these two. Then pArvati called him and told "Hei jangam, we pArvti and paramEswara came to you, look at us." Jangam bade a hai and again immersed in his work. pArvati again said "Hei jangam, we the lords of the whole universe came up to you. Because you are sincerely doing the pancAkShari japa, we are here to endow any boon you like. You can ask us thing, you want in this world." The jangam quietly said "O gods! Leave me alone. I must complete this `bontha' before the sun sets. If I did not complete this, the man who purchases this, will go away and I will not receive the money to purchase rice ground for my night gruel. I will have to starve all the night and tomorrow also until the evening. I request you both, for god`s sake leave me alone."
      But pArvati was too persistent and asked him to tell about what all his needs are! At last the jangam asked her the boon. "If you are so powerful gods, see that this thread should be following the needle each time I sew this bontha."
      3) paNDarinAth SrIkR^iShNa vitTal was very much pleased for the devotion of Bhakta pANDuranga. Instantly he came away to meet his devotee. At that time pANDuranga was kneading upon the feet of his father and mother to induce them to sleep. At that time when SrIkR^iShNa came there, It is heavily raining then. He called loudly "pAnDuranga! I am SrIkR^iShNa for whom you are all these days longing for. I came here to meet you and give you all the boons you want."
      pANDuranga putting his index finger upon his nose to indicate "keep silence" and said: "Please don`t make noise and disturb. – my father and mother are just now getting sleep." SrIkR^ishNa again said: "But it is raining now and the whole ground is muddy and filthy here. My feet are becoming cold. I am unable to find a place to stand."
      That house was very small to provide any space for another person. pAnDuranga was helpless. He looked around for any solution. His glances stopped at one brick lying nearer to him. He immediately grasped it and threw it towards SrIkR^ishNa and said "My divine lord, at present I am unable to move from here leaving my parents until they both go into deep sleep. Until then please adjust yourself somehow, standing upon this brick."
      My dear upAsakAs,
      I hope these three stories should become eye openers and guide lines to streamline the concept of our upAsana.
      Yours always in the service of the mother
      kR^iShNArAv