A newbies plea: help regarding names.

  • carnifexrex@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2012
      (Sorry if this was sent to you all, I am unfamiliar with Yahoo groups)
      Hey all,

      Most of you haven't met me, as I've only been to a couple meetings. However, I intend on ramping up on attendance.

      Anyhow, I need help with my name specifically. Ideally, a name that could be used interchangeably between a danish late-viking age persona, and a early 14th century Knight Templar Sergeant. I know these are two very different time periods, and cultures, however, I think an easy way to link them is to focus on early Norman culture, as they were descendants of vikings, and France later served as the birthplace and headquarters of the Knights Templar. Convoluted, I know. I have already been to http://www.s-gabriel.org/ as well as the naming pages on http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html, additionally, I have found a plethora of old norse names, as well as norman names. And now, to the real question:

      Can I register a nom de guerre (war name) as my official SCA name?

      Specifically, I would like the name "Carnifex Rex", latin for "executioner king", which I understand has it's noble implications, but as a nom de guerre I think it is fantastic. It can be applied TO the viking persona by his enemies, latin being fitting as abbeys and churches were frequent targets for viking raids, and wrote in latin. And it can also be applied BY the Templar persona, as a way of instilling fear in his enemies, again with latin being a huge factor in every day life for the Templar.

      I feel this would allow me to fluidly adapt my persona over a longer period of time, and should I finally determine which route I really want to commit to, I can create a more standard name.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated!

      Cheers,
      Brian Blackwood
    • Angharad
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2012
        Greetings Brian,

        I believe Bryson already responded to you off the list. I thought for the sake of those who might be interested, I'd post a few words regarding your request. Especially since you and a few others are new and may not be familiar with this things.

        Your persona background that you're working on sounds great and well within what people do in the SCA. We have a lot of people in this Kingdom with viking personas as well as some with Templar personas. A name and background is a good place to start. I'm sure you can come up with a great name that uses the viking and/or Templar resources.

        To the next point: Since titles are earned in the SCA it's not a good idea to call yourself by such until it's earned. Also, the word Rex is used by our SCA Kings. Only those who have won the Crown tournament and been Crowned as King can use that title. It would be highly inappropriate to use it in your name. Plus, the Heralds would not register it to you. Anything that seems to claim a title within the name will be rejected. A war name might come with time if you prove yourself on the battlefield, but it still wouldn't carry royal connotations.

        I hope this gives you an idea of how it works in the SCA. It's good to ask questions. That's how we all learn. We have a couple of heralds here in the Shire and I'm sure they can be of assistance as you chose what to do.

        Best regards,
        Duchess Angharad Banadaspus Drakenhefd

        --- In ShireofMidhaven@yahoogroups.com, "carnifexrex@..." <carnifexrex@...> wrote:

        > (Sorry if this was sent to you all, I am unfamiliar with Yahoo groups)
        > Hey all,
        >
        > Most of you haven't met me, as I've only been to a couple meetings. However, I intend on ramping up on attendance.
        >
        > Anyhow, I need help with my name specifically. Ideally, a name that could be used interchangeably between a danish late-viking age persona, and a early 14th century Knight Templar Sergeant. I know these are two very different time periods, and cultures, however, I think an easy way to link them is to focus on early Norman culture, as they were descendants of vikings, and France later served as the birthplace and headquarters of the Knights Templar. Convoluted, I know. I have already been to http://www.s-gabriel.org/ as well as the naming pages on http://www.sca.org/officers/chatelain/newcomers.html, additionally, I have found a plethora of old norse names, as well as norman names. And now, to the real question:
        >
        > Can I register a nom de guerre (war name) as my official SCA name?
        >
        > Specifically, I would like the name "Carnifex Rex", latin for "executioner king", which I understand has it's noble implications, but as a nom de guerre I think it is fantastic. It can be applied TO the viking persona by his enemies, latin being fitting as abbeys and churches were frequent targets for viking raids, and wrote in latin. And it can also be applied BY the Templar persona, as a way of instilling fear in his enemies, again with latin being a huge factor in every day life for the Templar.
        >
        > I feel this would allow me to fluidly adapt my persona over a longer period of time, and should I finally determine which route I really want to commit to, I can create a more standard name.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Brian Blackwood

      • Carnifex Rex
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2012
          Your Grace,

               Thank you for your informative reply. It was not my intention to claim an unearned title, merely use the nom de guerre as an pseudonym. I appreciate you taking the time to assist me with my request, and I will continue my research.

          Respectfully,
          Blackwood