Re: [SherlineCNC] Fun things to do on a Sunday...

  • Alan KM6VV
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2007
      Hi Peter,

      Thanks for the descriptions of the setup. That might come in handy some
      time.

      I'm not sure I'd call it a 'B' axis, it doesn't exactly rotate around
      the B axis, more like it's skew to the Y. Maybe that's close enough!
      5th axis it is.

      Alan KM6VV

      The Tabletop Machine Shop wrote:

      >Thanks Alan,
      >
      >that would be a "B" axis (rotation about Y). The sixth "C" axis would be
      >a rotary table flat on the mill table (rotation about Z).
      >
      >The rotary table did just bolt-up, but after some modifications. I
      >disassembled the rotary column attachment at the base of the Z column
      >and drilled 4 holes through the "knuckle" (P/N 56440), then I
      >disassembled the rotary table (to avoid damage and swarf getting inside)
      >and drilled and tapped a matching set of holes in the base of it. Then
      >the knuckle simply bolted to the bottom of the rotary table and got
      >re-mounted to the ram arm. The z-column was mounted to the face of the
      >rotary table using A2Z CNC's new "tuff-nuts" t-nuts.
      >
      >I had to carefully pick a set of mounting holes that went through
      >accessible portions of the knuckle and matched safe areas to drill of
      >the rotary table, it had to provide proper support for the table and
      >offset it vertically by .750" (so it's center of rotation would line up
      >with the A axis). I can upload drawings of my final hole locations if
      >anyone wants to play...
      >
      >I've found that the stock Sherline stepper doesn't have enough torque to
      >handle the weight of the spindle when moving through the full range of
      >motion (which is why it was only tilting +/- 12 degrees in the video).
      >Once it gets past 20 degrees or so off vertical it can't pick the column
      >back up and drops steps (it can do it without the headstock mounted).
      >I'll be upgrading the stepper shortly and hope to have it running
      >through the full +/-90 degree range. Then I can make a much more
      >interesting video of cutting a sphere and engraving on the surface of it...
      >
      >Peter

    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2007
        HI Jerry,

        > I think that Alan was thinking more about the rotary table that rotated
        > the Y axis as the spindle was turning. I hadn't seen that done before,
        > either. Talk about thinking outside of the box.

        Now that you mention it - yeah I think you're right :)

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2007
          HI Alan,

          > Your first pix is of a rotary table in the 'A' axis. I get that.
          > Peter's setup tilts the Z axis, which from his last post is apparently
          > for drilling a sphere. I'll have to remember that!

          Yeah - Jerry pointed that out. My goof.

          > Interesting pieces for the brake! Are there more on the robot?

          There are some more pics of the robot over here:
          http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Orion/

          I still don't have the brakes mounted. I need to make a few more pieces.

          --
          Dave Hylands
          Vancouver, BC, Canada
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2007
            Hi Dave,

            Impressive! Is this an all-out "scratch" project? Will it be autonomous?

            Alan KM6VV

            > HI Alan,
            >
            > > Your first pix is of a rotary table in the 'A' axis. I get that.
            > > Peter's setup tilts the Z axis, which from his last post is apparently
            > > for drilling a sphere. I'll have to remember that!
            >
            > Yeah - Jerry pointed that out. My goof.
            >
            > > Interesting pieces for the brake! Are there more on the robot?
            >
            > There are some more pics of the robot over here:
            > http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Orion/
            >
            > I still don't have the brakes mounted. I need to make a few more pieces.
            >
            > --
            > Dave Hylands
            > Vancouver, BC, Canada
            > http://www.DaveHylands.com/
          • Dave Hylands
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2007
              Hi Alan,

              > Impressive! Is this an all-out "scratch" project? Will it be autonomous?

              Not quite all out. The black gearbox/motor assembly is from an RC Truck.

              Yes it will be autonomous, although the earliest versions will be
              radio controlled.

              My primary motivation is for the RoboMagellan competition
              http://www.robothon.org/robothon/robo-magellan.php

              There are photos and video clips of other RoboMagellan entants over here:
              <http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Robo-Magellan>

              I'll also be using it as a general purpose experimentation platform.

              --
              Dave Hylands
              Vancouver, BC, Canada
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                Hi Dave,

                Very interesting! I wish I had more time for robots! I did discuss a
                32-R/C servo control that could be run on the ARM7 or MEGA16 platforms I
                have/will design for work.