Re: [SherlineCNC] Fun things to do on a Sunday...

  • Alan KM6VV
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7 6:47 PM
      Hi Dave,

      Your first pix is of a rotary table in the 'A' axis. I get that.
      Peter's setup tilts the Z axis, which from his last post is apparently
      for drilling a sphere. I'll have to remember that!

      Interesting pieces for the brake! Are there more on the robot?

      Best regards,

      Alan KM6VV

      Dave Hylands wrote:

      >Hi Alan,
      >

      >>That's a great video! I don't think I've ever seen the rotary table
      >>used in that position. What axis would that be? Did it just bolt-up,
      >>or did you have to make alterations?
      >>

      >I've used mine in that position:
      ><http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Modifications/Tooling-Plate/Small/07-In-Place.html>
      >The piece in the chuck (from the photo above) was as it came off the lathe.
      >
      >Here's a photo of the completed piece:
      ><http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/CNC/Wheel-Widener-2/Small/07-Pieces.html>

    • Alan KM6VV
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7 6:51 PM
        Hi Peter,

        Thanks for the descriptions of the setup. That might come in handy some
        time.

        I'm not sure I'd call it a 'B' axis, it doesn't exactly rotate around
        the B axis, more like it's skew to the Y. Maybe that's close enough!
        5th axis it is.

        Alan KM6VV

        The Tabletop Machine Shop wrote:

        >Thanks Alan,
        >
        >that would be a "B" axis (rotation about Y). The sixth "C" axis would be
        >a rotary table flat on the mill table (rotation about Z).
        >
        >The rotary table did just bolt-up, but after some modifications. I
        >disassembled the rotary column attachment at the base of the Z column
        >and drilled 4 holes through the "knuckle" (P/N 56440), then I
        >disassembled the rotary table (to avoid damage and swarf getting inside)
        >and drilled and tapped a matching set of holes in the base of it. Then
        >the knuckle simply bolted to the bottom of the rotary table and got
        >re-mounted to the ram arm. The z-column was mounted to the face of the
        >rotary table using A2Z CNC's new "tuff-nuts" t-nuts.
        >
        >I had to carefully pick a set of mounting holes that went through
        >accessible portions of the knuckle and matched safe areas to drill of
        >the rotary table, it had to provide proper support for the table and
        >offset it vertically by .750" (so it's center of rotation would line up
        >with the A axis). I can upload drawings of my final hole locations if
        >anyone wants to play...
        >
        >I've found that the stock Sherline stepper doesn't have enough torque to
        >handle the weight of the spindle when moving through the full range of
        >motion (which is why it was only tilting +/- 12 degrees in the video).
        >Once it gets past 20 degrees or so off vertical it can't pick the column
        >back up and drops steps (it can do it without the headstock mounted).
        >I'll be upgrading the stepper shortly and hope to have it running
        >through the full +/-90 degree range. Then I can make a much more
        >interesting video of cutting a sphere and engraving on the surface of it...
        >
        >Peter

      • Dave Hylands
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7 10:23 PM
          HI Jerry,

          > I think that Alan was thinking more about the rotary table that rotated
          > the Y axis as the spindle was turning. I hadn't seen that done before,
          > either. Talk about thinking outside of the box.

          Now that you mention it - yeah I think you're right :)

          --
          Dave Hylands
          Vancouver, BC, Canada
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7 10:29 PM
            HI Alan,

            > Your first pix is of a rotary table in the 'A' axis. I get that.
            > Peter's setup tilts the Z axis, which from his last post is apparently
            > for drilling a sphere. I'll have to remember that!

            Yeah - Jerry pointed that out. My goof.

            > Interesting pieces for the brake! Are there more on the robot?

            There are some more pics of the robot over here:
            http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Orion/

            I still don't have the brakes mounted. I need to make a few more pieces.

            --
            Dave Hylands
            Vancouver, BC, Canada
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8 8:07 AM
              Hi Dave,

              Impressive! Is this an all-out "scratch" project? Will it be autonomous?

              Alan KM6VV

              > HI Alan,
              >
              > > Your first pix is of a rotary table in the 'A' axis. I get that.
              > > Peter's setup tilts the Z axis, which from his last post is apparently
              > > for drilling a sphere. I'll have to remember that!
              >
              > Yeah - Jerry pointed that out. My goof.
              >
              > > Interesting pieces for the brake! Are there more on the robot?
              >
              > There are some more pics of the robot over here:
              > http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Orion/
              >
              > I still don't have the brakes mounted. I need to make a few more pieces.
              >
              > --
              > Dave Hylands
              > Vancouver, BC, Canada
              > http://www.DaveHylands.com/
            • Dave Hylands
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8 9:37 AM
                Hi Alan,

                > Impressive! Is this an all-out "scratch" project? Will it be autonomous?

                Not quite all out. The black gearbox/motor assembly is from an RC Truck.

                Yes it will be autonomous, although the earliest versions will be
                radio controlled.

                My primary motivation is for the RoboMagellan competition
                http://www.robothon.org/robothon/robo-magellan.php

                There are photos and video clips of other RoboMagellan entants over here:
                <http://www.davehylands.com/Robotics/Robo-Magellan>

                I'll also be using it as a general purpose experimentation platform.

                --
                Dave Hylands
                Vancouver, BC, Canada
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8 10:59 AM
                  Hi Dave,

                  Very interesting! I wish I had more time for robots! I did discuss a
                  32-R/C servo control that could be run on the ARM7 or MEGA16 platforms I
                  have/will design for work.