Re: [SherlineCNC] small taps and dies

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2007
      There are a lot of micro drills that come with 1/8, 1/16, or 1mm shanks.
      Most of the industreal tool supply companies carry them.
      On a manual machine I like to use the wrench / chuck key (the handle of most
      chuck keys will fit the hole in the chuck) on the chuck and put a light
      downward force using the quil handle. On machines like the Sherline, I've
      also taken the belt off and used the pully as a tap handle. Thread milling
      might be an option, but I've never tried it on a hole that size and don't
      know if they make them that small. Mostly on cnc holes that small I just
      drill the hole then use a tapping block (block with a hole the size of the
      tap od, to hold it straight) to tap it later.

      From: "Scott Meyer" <baldysm@...>
      > 1. I am looking for sources of tap drills that have an 1/8" shaft. End
      mills
      > would work do if they are the right size.
      > 2. How would you tap on the mill with these size taps? Sensitive drilling
      > attachment and spinning by hand using the standard motor head?
      > 3. Is there a way to tap using the air tool spindle? I don't see a way,
      > maybe someone else has thought of a way.
    • David Clark
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:

        > Make a crank handle to attach to your motor pulley.

        I bought one from Enco:

        http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=5832540&PMAKA=325-6855

        Bore out the aluminum plug and add a set screw, or mill a pocket to
        pick up the screw you put in the side of the lathe shaft for the
        threading attachment. I did both. At 3" diameter this clears the motor
        on either lathe or mill. You could also use this if you made a tapping
        stand.

        Pretty good stretch for less than 10 bucks.

        DC
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
          You are on the right track to look for ways to hold the tap in the
          machine- I have never broken one held by a spindle, I have broken my
          share hand-held.

          Make a crank handle to attach to your motor pulley. If you have the
          threading attachment its handle might work. Otherwise a simple handle
          with a tapered plug on its end, to fit inside the spindle bore and
          tighten with a nut. I made such a crank for my 11x48 lathe and use it
          often for things like big taps and spring winding. Anytime you want slow
          and controlled spindle rotation.