Re: Dialing in - Best type of dial indicator to use ?

  • David Morrow
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 4 11:11 AM
      I went back to Joe Martin's book and see that he echo's your comments.
      He recommends the Starrett Last Word DTI. I see that they have this
      available as a package (#711JGCSZ)complete with all attachments, in a
      case. About $150 US if you shop around. KBC Tools, up here in
      Vancouver shows it in their catalog for $215 Cdn ; I'm going to order
      it on Monday.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Clark" <dcclark111@...> wrote:

      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow" <morrow2002@> wrote:
      > >
      > > That's the type ! In the catalog that I have they're called "Dial Test
      > > indicators". I'll get one.
      > >

      > David,
      >
      > Beware of the really cheap ones. The movements may not be smooth, and
      > the fit of the stem not precise, so they may stick or jump around.
      >
      > The DTI is one of the most important tools in your box, you'll use it
      > nearly every day. I think you'll be glad if you invest in a good one.
      >
      > The top of the line Starretts with .0001" resolution can run a couple
      > hundred bucks. But these are really more that you need (or want)
      > getting started on a Sherline.
      >
      > Brown & Sharpe are also very good, so is Mitutoyo. I've seen some
      > pretty good mics and other stuff from Fowler, but haven't used one of
      > their DTIs.
      >
      > If I were you, I'd plan on spending $100-$150 on a B&S or Mitutoyo
      > with .001" or .0005" resolution and +/-.015" range.
      >
      > A DTI with .0001" resolution and short range, .004 or .005, can be
      > pretty frustrating to use when you're just learning, and is more
      > sensitive than needed for all but the most exacting work.
      >
      > I'd also stay away from the digital ones. When "indicating in" a
      > workpiece, I want to see the needle swing. Kind of gives you a "feel"
      > for the surface. After you've used one a while, you'll see what I mean.
      >
      > I had the good fortune to inherit many fine tools from my machinist
      > father. I mention this because my indicators have been in daily use
      > for around 70 years. This shows you how long really good ones (well
      > cared for) will last. And that indicates (pun) that a used one may be
      > a good buy. But I'd insist on the right to return it if it turns out
      > to be damaged.
      >
      > If you can afford it though, it may make sense to go right for a new
      > DTI of the highest quality. You'll want one someday.
      >
      > DC

    • Alan KM6VV
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 4 2:16 PM
        Hi David,

        You need something like the Starrett "Last Word". Others make similar
        models.

        the End is a little ball, and you can get into quite small holes with it.

        Alan KM6VV

        David Morrow wrote:

        >I have a dial indicator. I'm not sure how to describe it other than to
        >call it a plunger type end arrangement. I need to dial in my rotary
        >table on my 2000 Mill but the dial indicator looks like it's going to
        >be way to big to go full circle when attached to the mill holder. I
        >see that there are other dial indicators that look like they're more
        >of a lever type arrangement and I'm guessing that is what I need.
        >
        >I could use a little coaching on this one. Can anyone help ?

      • David Clark
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4 5:11 PM
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow" <morrow2002@...> wrote:

          > He recommends the Starrett Last Word DTI. I see that they have this
          > available as a package (#711JGCSZ)complete with all attachments, in a
          > case. About $150 US if you shop around. KBC Tools, up here in
          > Vancouver shows it in their catalog for $215 Cdn ; I'm going to order
          > it on Monday.

          Good choice, good price, enjoy.

          DC
        • David Morrow
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17 8:18 PM
            I found an eBay store that had the Starrett "Last Word" DTI's that
            Sherline recommends. I bought the one with the complete set of
            attachments. It arrived this week and I dialed in my mill tonight. I
            was surprised first how close it was already, and then how easy the
            process was to complete. Now I can carry on with my new project.

            I wish that Starrett had a bit more documentation though. I guess they
            they think it's like selling a hammer. No instructions required. You
            don't need much but a little bit of guidance and some tips would have
            helped. I went to their web site and saw that the screw plugs are
            supposed to be removed to attach things. When I first looked at them,
            I was a bit nervous that if I removed them that the little bits would
            spring from within. Yikes !

            Thanks everyone.

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David Morrow" <morrow2002@...> wrote:

            > That's the type ! In the catalog that I have they're called "Dial Test
            > indicators". I'll get one.
            >
            > Thanks Rich.
            >
            > David Morrow
            >

            > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Rich Dean <cmsteam@> wrote:
            > >
            > > David,
            > > you should add a DTI to you toolkit.
            > > That's a "Dial Test Indicator". These are the small dial instruments
            > > with the tiny pointer probe to one side.
            > > One reading to .0001" is best, but for a low budget .001" will do.
            > > ENCO-MSC has them. Most come in a kit with additional probes
            > > and you will need a holder/stand to go with if not already supplied.
            > > These indicators are Waaaaay more sensitive to movement than
            > > a DI and will fit into tighter situations.
            > > RichD
            > >
            > > David Morrow wrote:
            > > > I have a dial indicator. I'm not sure how to describe it other
            than to
            > > > call it a plunger type end arrangement. I need to dial in my rotary
            > > > table on my 2000 Mill but the dial indicator looks like it's
            going to
            > > > be way to big to go full circle when attached to the mill holder. I
            > > > see that there are other dial indicators that look like they're more
            > > > of a lever type arrangement and I'm guessing that is what I need.
            > > >
            > > > I could use a little coaching on this one. Can anyone help ?

          • Paul W. Chamberlain
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18 3:53 AM
              When I took the class on calibrating measuring instruments, the QC guy
              said the tip on a DTI is supposed to contact the surface at a 12 degree
              angle. The Last Word and others have a tip that swivels to adjust that
              angle of contact while keeping the body of the DTI angled for best viewing.

              Paul, Central OR

              *****