Re: [SherlineCNC] Re: New Photos - BASE729

  • Tom Hubin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2006
      Hello Phil,

      Each Sherline 5400 stepper motor mount has an access hole underneath.
      This to get to a setscrew. So you already have drain holes.

      X and Y mounts are not the same part. I swapped mine to get the access
      holes on the top when I was having frequent problems with setscrews
      coming loose. I plugged the holes with a screw just resting in the hole
      so that chips don't get in. But when I vacuum I sometimes suck up the
      screw.

      Locktite on the setscrew (says so in the instructions too) eventually
      solved the problem so I can go back to holes on the bottom if I ever get
      around to it. I am putting on double stack steppers soon so maybe I will
      do it then.

      Tom Hubin
      thubin@...

      ************************

      > Hi Joe,
      <snip>
      > I did some experiments with
      > flood
      > cooling and found that the Sherline motor mount on the X slide gets
      > filled
      > with coolant pretty quickly. I tried various ways of sealing it but no
      > luck.
      > If the coolant gets into the stepper motor it could be bad. I thought
      > about
      > drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the mount but haven't tried it
      > yet.
      <snip>
      > Phil Mattison
      > http://www.ohmikron.com/
    • Alan KM6VV
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2006
        Hi Tom,

        X and Y mounts are not the same? Is this new? For what I've seen, they are
        the same.

        Alan KM6VV

        > Hello Phil,
        >
        > Each Sherline 5400 stepper motor mount has an access hole underneath.
        > This to get to a setscrew. So you already have drain holes.
        >
        > X and Y mounts are not the same part. I swapped mine to get the access
        > holes on the top when I was having frequent problems with setscrews
        > coming loose. I plugged the holes with a screw just resting in the hole
        > so that chips don't get in. But when I vacuum I sometimes suck up the
        > screw.
        >
        > Locktite on the setscrew (says so in the instructions too) eventually
        > solved the problem so I can go back to holes on the bottom if I ever get
        > around to it. I am putting on double stack steppers soon so maybe I will
        > do it then.
        >
        > Tom Hubin
        > thubin@...

      • base729
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2006
          The extrusion is 80/20 (www.8020.net) we use it on a lot of
          equipment at work, very modular, and you can send them drawings and
          it comes cut to length, with taps and clear holes installed.

          I debated for a while getting the mill, because it's really only
          beneficial if I can run it "lights out" and work on my CAD station
          at the same time. I'm pretty busy as it is on nights and weekends,
          so adding in a lot of machining time doesn't work. But setting up
          the mill and letting it run for hours on end will work.

          Once I get the covers for the leadscrews done, that's when I'm
          hooking up the pump to see just where the stuff goes. I figured I'd
          need to enclose or guard the x-axis motor, but waiting to see
          how "bad" it really is.

          For the chips leaving the enclosure, I have a rubber gasket that
          seals the inside walls of the lexan portion of the enclosure. The
          top of the guard is Lexan as well in an effort to keep everything
          inside. I only have a 1/4" gap between the backwall of the
          enclosure and the moving part of the Lexan Box. And even then,
          chips/coolant would need to make a 90 degree turn around a post to
          get out of the gap. Worse case is I figured I could put some brush
          material to keep chips from flying through, and still allow free
          movement of the enclosure and the frame.

          Thanks for all the input!

          Joe

          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Mattison" <mattison20@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Joe,
          > That looks very nice! I like clean. I have been debating for a
          long time how
          > or whether to do something similar. I set mine up to use air to
          blow chips
          > away from the work (article on my web site), but even with an
          enclosure they
          > tend to get everywhere, and it is not as effective as liquid for
          keeping the
          > cutters sharp and getting a good finish. I did some experiments
          with flood
          > cooling and found that the Sherline motor mount on the X slide
          gets filled
          > with coolant pretty quickly. I tried various ways of sealing it
          but no luck.
          > If the coolant gets into the stepper motor it could be bad. I
          thought about
          > drilling a drain hole in the bottom of the mount but haven't tried
          it yet.
          > Even then I suspect it may not be good for the lead screw bearing.
          What I