dremel mount -vs- other types of high speed spindle for sherline mill

  • jerrybault
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
      Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
      things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
      do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
      the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
      I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
      feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
      was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
      mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
      drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
      when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
      but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
      by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
      Are the plan available?
      Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
      Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
      mill directly available commecially?
      If so where would I go online to purchase?

      thanks

      jerry
    • The Tabletop Machine Shop
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hi Jerry,

        the 10,000 RPM pulley upgrade is a bit of a pain to switch back in to
        low speed mode, it does have a pulley position that gets you back
        into the 3000 RPM range, but due to the clearance between the pulleys
        and the motor standoff it still requires some disassembly to change.

        Some people buy a second headstock to use with the high speed pulleys
        (available as a unit as P/N 3307) and just swap headstocks when
        needed. If you have a second machine, like a lathe, it may make sense
        to upgrade the mill headstock and borrow the lathe headstock when you
        need lower speeds.

        Dremels can be mounted fairly easily, but you might find that they
        have too much runout to do high precision work, they're good for some
        jobs but probably not jewelry. Some people have upgraded the bearings
        in the Dremel to improve it, you can find some web sites describing
        that operation.

        Regarding commercial high speed spindles, Sherline has recently come
        out with a 54,000 RPM spindle based on an air driven grinder head,
        it's P/N 8900 and you can find it on our web site at:
        http://www.tabletopmachineshop.com/store/?cat=64

        This unit doesn't have a lot of torque (you can stop it with your
        fingers, but don't :-) but it does work well with tiny cutters.

        Regards,

        Peter
        The Tabletop Machine Shop

        On Dec 1, 2006, at 11:18 AM, jerrybault wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
        > Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
        > things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
        > do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
        > the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
        > I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
        > feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
        > was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
        > mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
        > drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
        > when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
        > but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
        > by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
        > Are the plan available?
        > Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
        > Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
        > mill directly available commecially?
        > If so where would I go online to purchase?
        >
        > thanks
        >
        > jerry

      • KM6VV
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hi Jerry,

          There is an extension group, SherlineCNC2 for more file space and pix. I
          believe I put some notes or plans there. Yahoo is doing some site changes,
          so I couldn't check the files there. Try later. We'll see what we can come
          up for you.

          Joe Vickers (?) was making Sherline accessories a while back, he may still
          make a Dremel tool mount.

          Also, I drew up a Sherline mount for a DeWalt DW670 Trim Router. Someone on
          this list (?) was interested in it. I do have one made up for my "Baby PCB
          Router" project. You might consider that. The Dremel bearings aren't
          really that good.

          Alan KM6VV

          > Behalf Of jerrybault
          >
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
          > Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
          > things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
          > do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
          > the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
          > I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
          > feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
          > was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
          > mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
          > drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
          > when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
          > but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
          > by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
          > Are the plan available?
          > Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
          > Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
          > mill directly available commecially?
          > If so where would I go online to purchase?
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > jerry
        • David Morrow
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2006
            Jerry, I bought the 10k RPM kit and it made a world of difference and
            wasn't that tough to install. Swapping back and forth would be a bit
            of a pain but I can't imagine that you'd have to do that. With the
            variable speed motor you can still get the RPM's way down - I do for
            drilling. And with jewelry work, I'd guess that your end mills and
            such are mostly on the small end of the scale so the loss of power
            with the high gearing of the 10K kit just shouldn't be an issue. The
            kit is pretty reasonably priced; I'd strongly suggest that you give it
            a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

            --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jerrybault" <jerrybault@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
            > Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
            > things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
            > do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
            > the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
            > I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
            > feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
            > was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
            > mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
            > drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
            > when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
            > but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
            > by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
            > Are the plan available?
            > Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
            > Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
            > mill directly available commecially?
            > If so where would I go online to purchase?
            >
            > thanks
            >
            > jerry

          • montanaaardvark
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
              Jerry,

              I had this same question the other day on the Sherline group. The
              consensus seems to be to stay away from the Dremel due to runout in
              the bearings.

              I have a Foredom flex shaft, which is (of course) the standard tool
              for hand work. Fairly sure it does about 25,000 RPM. I'm thinking
              about mounting that on the mill instead of the Dremel.

              As an alternative, though, we can use the 10k pulley set from Sherline
              and use slower feeds, so that the bit effectively turns more times
              over some length of too path.

              Bob

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jerrybault" <jerrybault@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              >
              > I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
              > Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
              > things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
              > do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
              > the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
              > I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
              > feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
              > was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
              > mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
              > drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
              > when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
              > but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
              > by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
              > Are the plan available?
              > Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
              > Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
              > mill directly available commecially?
              > If so where would I go online to purchase?
              >
              > thanks
              >
              > jerry

            • Paul W. Chamberlain
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 2, 2006
                I mounted a Sherline Motor and 10,000 RPM pulleys on my Taig CNC. I also
                mounted a Tachulator so I can dial in the exact speed I want. The low
                speed side of the pulleys (~50 - ~2100) allow me to hold revs well below
                1000 RPM for edge finder and other slow rotation needs. The high speed
                side of the pulleys (~150 - ~10,000) still allow me to slow down for low
                torque functions. I very seldom have to change the belt position, and it
                is much better than the original six step pulleys with no in-between
                speeds, and nothing below 1100 RPM.

                Standard pulleys have been all I need on my Sherline lathes.

                Paul, Central OR

                *****

                David Morrow wrote:

                >Jerry, I bought the 10k RPM kit and it made a world of difference and
                >wasn't that tough to install. Swapping back and forth would be a bit
                >of a pain but I can't imagine that you'd have to do that. With the
                >variable speed motor you can still get the RPM's way down - I do for
                >drilling. And with jewelry work, I'd guess that your end mills and
                >such are mostly on the small end of the scale so the loss of power
                >with the high gearing of the 10K kit just shouldn't be an issue. The
                >kit is pretty reasonably priced; I'd strongly suggest that you give it
                >a go, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
                >
                >--- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "jerrybault" <jerrybault@...> wrote:
                >

                >>Hi everyone,
                >>
                >>I am new to this forum and relativley new to CNC milling on my new
                >>Sherline 2000 mill. I bought it to help me make jewelry. One of the
                >>things I have run into is that some of the fine detail work I want to
                >>do is very slow going with max spindle speed of 2500 to 2800 RMP of
                >>the stock motor and headstock. I want to increase the spindle speed.
                >>I have looked at the Sherline modifcation to get to 10000 RPM, but
                >>feel this may be a pain to switch each time I want to use it. I also
                >>was considering mounting a dremel to the head stock using the same
                >>mount that the headstock uses. I was looking online for any techical
                >>drawings of the head stock mount that I could use to design a mount
                >>when I ran across this forum. I see that a dremel mount has been done
                >>but after few hours of searching and reading (and getting sidetracked
                >>by the threads on the forum) I could not find the plans online.
                >>Are the plan available?
                >>Are the headstock mount measurments available anywhere?
                >>Are there any high speed spindles that mount directly on the sherline
                >>mill directly available commecially?
                >>If so where would I go online to purchase?
                >>
                >>thanks
                >>
                >>jerry

              • geneking2001
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 3, 2006
                  David and the List,
                  It is easy to modify the pulley on the high speed kit to change the
                  ranges. I just put the pulley on my rotary table and removed about 15
                  degrees from the pulley wall between them. Works great, just loosen
                  the motor mount and rotate the pulley to the knotch and push the belt
                  to the side you want, keep rotating until it has moved all the way
                  over. I have some photos on another computer, but it is not on my net
                  right now. I'll put them in the photo section when I get it back up.

                  Gene

                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, The Tabletop Machine Shop