RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Milling paper

  • Neil F Albert
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
      David,

      Do polariizng filters work for metallic surfaces?

      Neil

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
        Neil,
        find an older cnc sign cutter (modified plotter) to do this.
        I have a Houston Instrument DMP-60 that works great.
        The material is pinched between Y rollers and rolls to & fro
        as the knife traces the cut on an X slide.
        RichD

        David Morrow wrote:
        > I hope this doesn't sound like a smartass reply, but have you tried
        > wearing polarizing sunglasses ?
        >
        > I wouldn't mind seeing a photo' of what you're trying to cut and some
        > idea of the size.
        >
        > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Albert" <neil@...> wrote:
        >> I would like to cut a number of sheets of adhesive backed silver
        >> metallic polyester paper.
        >>
        >> This paper, made by Papilio, is inkjet printable, so I can print the
        >> shape I need to cut, a variation on a very thin donut, to be able to
        >> cut this by hand. The problem is that the glare of the metallic paper
        >> is so great that I invariably ruin the sheet before the part is
        >> finished, because I can't see the line.
        >>
        >> Does anyone have any experience that might help in using using my mill
        >> and get a reasonably clean cut? Unfortunately, I don't have a vacuum
        >> table, so I assume I'd have to use tape to hold it.
        >>
        >> Neil Albert
        >>

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • William Cox
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
          If there are just a few, consider a sandwich of thin plywood (as the
          "bread" top and bottom) and the layers of paper inside. Fasten the
          plywood where you will have cutouts, and be careful of the last cuts.

          I've done this on a scroll saw with a lot of identical paper cutouts -
          the markings on the plywood should be more readable, and you can do
          multiples of the paper at once. I suggest sharp cutters...

          bill cox

          Rich Dean wrote:

          > Neil,
          > find an older cnc sign cutter (modified plotter) to do this.
          > I have a Houston Instrument DMP-60 that works great.
          > The material is pinched between Y rollers and rolls to & fro
          > as the knife traces the cut on an X slide.
          > RichD
          >
          > David Morrow wrote:
          > > I hope this doesn't sound like a smartass reply, but have you tried
          > > wearing polarizing sunglasses ?
          > >
          > > I wouldn't mind seeing a photo' of what you're trying to cut and some
          > > idea of the size.
          > >
          > > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:SherlineCNC%40yahoogroups.com>, "Neil Albert" <neil@...> wrote:
          > >> I would like to cut a number of sheets of adhesive backed silver
          > >> metallic polyester paper.
          > >>
          > >> This paper, made by Papilio, is inkjet printable, so I can print the
          > >> shape I need to cut, a variation on a very thin donut, to be able to
          > >> cut this by hand. The problem is that the glare of the metallic paper
          > >> is so great that I invariably ruin the sheet before the part is
          > >> finished, because I can't see the line.
          > >>
          > >> Does anyone have any experience that might help in using using my mill
          > >> and get a reasonably clean cut? Unfortunately, I don't have a vacuum
          > >> table, so I assume I'd have to use tape to hold it.
          > >>
          > >> Neil Albert
          > >>

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Morrow
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 11, 2006
            Here's a web site that may provide some ideas
            http://www.littleeholdings.com/

            David Morrow

            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
              > Here's a web site that may provide some ideas
              > http://www.littleeholdings.com/

              I have been looking for a vinyl knife for a while, and the one on that
              web site is $299. I found one on ebay, by a German seller, for $70. It
              is made to fit in a plotter as a pen. but I made a simple holder to put
              it in my cnc router. I simply slip it into a close fitting hole and pile
              on a few big washers as weight.

              It was a bit tricky to get set up, but it works great cutting vinyl sign
              material. Search for 'vinyl cutter' on ebay- the guy always has several
              of them listed with a 'buy it now' price.

              ron ginger
            • KM6VV
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                Hi Neil,

                If you're using CNC, then what do you need to see, other then setting up the
                stock?

                I often tape on a printed drawing onto the part I'm going to cut, a
                "puppet", so that I can plan the clamps and get a rough verification of
                proper setup (and tool path!).

                Alan KM6VV

                > Behalf Of Neil Albert
                >
                > I would like to cut a number of sheets of adhesive backed silver
                > metallic polyester paper.
                >
                > This paper, made by Papilio, is inkjet printable, so I can print the
                > shape I need to cut, a variation on a very thin donut, to be able to
                > cut this by hand. The problem is that the glare of the metallic paper
                > is so great that I invariably ruin the sheet before the part is
                > finished, because I can't see the line.
                >
                > Does anyone have any experience that might help in using using my mill
                > and get a reasonably clean cut? Unfortunately, I don't have a vacuum
                > table, so I assume I'd have to use tape to hold it.
                >
                > Neil Albert

              • Neil F Albert
                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                  Thanks, Ron

                  Neil

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                    Alan,

                    I'm not sure I understand.

                    The shape is the same as feature on a part I am now having injection molded.
                    I originally machined these parts on my 2000 mill. (which took a long time
                    since the part is large, the raw stock thick, and most of the material
                    needing to be removed.)

                    I can pull the shape that I need to cut out of paper from the CAD model used
                    to make the mold, since the shape I need to cut is the same as as a pocket
                    on the part. (The machined version of the part did not have these ornamental
                    features.)

                    Based on what you're describing, I would need to the printed drawing and not
                    the part. It is a fairly delicately shaped label that I need to make.

                    Alan, I just uploaded o photo of a unit that was made with hand cut lables

                    Neil
                    If you're using CNC, then what do you need to see, other then setting up
                    the
                    stock?

                    I often tape on a printed drawing onto the part I'm going to cut, a
                    "puppet", so that I can plan the clamps and get a rough verification of
                    proper setup (and tool path!).

                    Alan KM6VV

                    > Behalf Of Neil Albert
                    >
                    > I would like to cut a number of sheets of adhesive backed silver
                    > metallic polyester paper.
                    >
                    > This paper, made by Papilio, is inkjet printable, so I can print the
                    > shape I need to cut, a variation on a very thin donut, to be able to
                    > cut this by hand. The problem is that the glare of the metallic paper
                    > is so great that I invariably ruin the sheet before the part is
                    > finished, because I can't see the line.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have any experience that might help in using using my mill
                    > and get a reasonably clean cut? Unfortunately, I don't have a vacuum
                    > table, so I assume I'd have to use tape to hold it.
                    >
                    > Neil Albert

                  • KM6VV
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                      Hi Neal,

                      So it's the little wispy silver decals on the model?

                      OK, I get it. No, probably wouldn't be appropriate or useful to tape a
                      "puppet" over the stock. This is best used for the ordinary parts one cuts.

                      I wouldn't mind finding a vinyl (?) sheet that could cover a panel and be
                      flexible enough to allow the working of the small PCB mount push buttons one
                      sees. We do it at work, but I don't want to order 5000+ custom labels!

                      Thanks for the photo!

                      Alan KM6VV

                      > on Behalf Of Neil F Albert
                      >
                      > Alan,
                      >
                      > I'm not sure I understand.
                      >
                      > The shape is the same as feature on a part I am now having injection
                      > molded.
                      > I originally machined these parts on my 2000 mill. (which took a long time
                      > since the part is large, the raw stock thick, and most of the material
                      > needing to be removed.)
                      >
                      > I can pull the shape that I need to cut out of paper from the CAD model
                      > used
                      > to make the mold, since the shape I need to cut is the same as as a pocket
                      > on the part. (The machined version of the part did not have these
                      > ornamental
                      > features.)
                      >
                      > Based on what you're describing, I would need to the printed drawing and
                      > not
                      > the part. It is a fairly delicately shaped label that I need to make.
                      >

                      > Alan, I just uploaded o photo of a unit that was made with hand cut lables
                      >

                      > Neil
                    • Rich Dean
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                        Think sign vinyl. Comes in various thicknesses.
                        A sign shop may give you some scraps or buy a yard.
                        Great stuff for masks, etc.
                        RichD

                        KM6VV wrote:
                        > Hi Neal,
                        >
                        > So it's the little wispy silver decals on the model?
                        >
                        > OK, I get it. No, probably wouldn't be appropriate or useful to tape a
                        > "puppet" over the stock. This is best used for the ordinary parts one cuts.
                        >
                        > I wouldn't mind finding a vinyl (?) sheet that could cover a panel and be
                        > flexible enough to allow the working of the small PCB mount push buttons one
                        > sees. We do it at work, but I don't want to order 5000+ custom labels!
                        >
                        > Thanks for the photo!
                        >
                        > Alan KM6VV
                        >

                        >> on Behalf Of Neil F Albert
                        >>
                        >> Alan,
                        >>
                        >> I'm not sure I understand.
                        >>
                        >> The shape is the same as feature on a part I am now having injection
                        >> molded.
                        >> I originally machined these parts on my 2000 mill. (which took a long time
                        >> since the part is large, the raw stock thick, and most of the material
                        >> needing to be removed.)
                        >>
                        >> I can pull the shape that I need to cut out of paper from the CAD model
                        >> used
                        >> to make the mold, since the shape I need to cut is the same as as a pocket
                        >> on the part. (The machined version of the part did not have these
                        >> ornamental
                        >> features.)
                        >>
                        >> Based on what you're describing, I would need to the printed drawing and
                        >> not
                        >> the part. It is a fairly delicately shaped label that I need to make.
                        >>

                        >> Alan, I just uploaded o photo of a unit that was made with hand cut lables
                        >>

                        >> Neil
                      • KM6VV
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                          Thanks Rich,

                          Good idea!

                          Alan KM6VV

                          > Think sign vinyl. Comes in various thicknesses.
                          > A sign shop may give you some scraps or buy a yard.
                          > Great stuff for masks, etc.
                          > RichD

                        • Neil F Albert
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                            Rich,

                            Am I to understand that sign vinyl is of a consistency to be cut by an end
                            mill, and run on my CNC mill?

                            If so what is the thinnest stock that would work or don't you think this
                            matters? The silver polyester material that I have beentrying to cut by hand
                            is 3mil.

                            I've also heard about 7mil polycarbonate, I think, which might be a good
                            material ifI knew where to get it.

                            Neil

                            KM6VV wrote:
                            > Hi Neal,
                            >
                            > So it's the little wispy silver decals on the model?
                            >
                            > OK, I get it. No, probably wouldn't be appropriate or useful to tape a
                            > "puppet" over the stock. This is best used for the ordinary parts one
                            cuts.

                            > I wouldn't mind finding a vinyl (?) sheet that could cover a panel and
                            be
                            > flexible enough to allow the working of the small PCB mount push buttons
                            one
                            > sees. We do it at work, but I don't want to order 5000+ custom labels!
                            >
                            > Thanks for the photo!
                            >
                            > Alan KM6VV
                            >

                            >> on Behalf Of Neil F Albert
                            >>
                            >> Alan,
                            >>
                            >> I'm not sure I understand.
                            >>
                            >> The shape is the same as feature on a part I am now having injection
                            >> molded.
                            >> I originally machined these parts on my 2000 mill. (which took a long
                            time
                            >> since the part is large, the raw stock thick, and most of the material
                            >> needing to be removed.)
                            >>
                            >> I can pull the shape that I need to cut out of paper from the CAD model
                            >> used
                            >> to make the mold, since the shape I need to cut is the same as as a
                            pocket
                            >> on the part. (The machined version of the part did not have these
                            >> ornamental
                            >> features.)
                            >>
                            >> Based on what you're describing, I would need to the printed drawing
                            and
                            >> not
                            >> the part. It is a fairly delicately shaped label that I need to make.
                            >>

                            >> Alan, I just uploaded o photo of a unit that was made with hand cut
                            lables

                            >> Neil

                          • Rich Dean
                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                              Niel,
                              Sign vinyl is .004 thick and up. A special knife is used in a rotating holder
                              that is self rotating or servo driven to maintain cut direction.
                              Drop by a signage shop and ask for a peek at the machines, etc.
                              No endmill. Definetly.
                              RichD

                              Neil F Albert wrote:
                              > Rich,
                              >
                              > Am I to understand that sign vinyl is of a consistency to be cut by an end
                              > mill, and run on my CNC mill?
                              >
                              > If so what is the thinnest stock that would work or don't you think this
                              > matters? The silver polyester material that I have beentrying to cut by hand
                              > is 3mil.
                              >
                              > I've also heard about 7mil polycarbonate, I think, which might be a good
                              > material ifI knew where to get it.
                              >
                              > Neil

                            • Neil F Albert
                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                Ok Thanks, Rich

                                Neil

                                Neil F Albert wrote:
                                > Rich,
                                >
                                > Am I to understand that sign vinyl is of a consistency to be cut by an
                                end
                                > mill, and run on my CNC mill?
                                >
                                > If so what is the thinnest stock that would work or don't you think this
                                > matters? The silver polyester material that I have beentrying to cut by
                                hand
                                > is 3mil.
                                >
                                > I've also heard about 7mil polycarbonate, I think, which might be a good
                                > material ifI knew where to get it.
                                >
                                > Neil

                              • alenz2002
                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                  I have been interested in making a free swiveling knife holder, but
                                  not sure of the details. What `drag' dimension is needed to assure
                                  tracking? Also, what software is required to allow for this lag? Or
                                  is the rounding error too small to be a problem in the real world?
                                  Thanks
                                  Al

                                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:
                                  > I have been looking for a vinyl knife for a while, and the one on
                                  that
                                  > web site is $299. I found one on ebay, by a German seller, for $70.
                                  It
                                  > is made to fit in a plotter as a pen. but I made a simple holder to
                                  put
                                  > it in my cnc router. I simply slip it into a close fitting hole and
                                  pile
                                  > on a few big washers as weight.
                                  >
                                  > It was a bit tricky to get set up, but it works great cutting vinyl
                                  sign
                                  > material. Search for 'vinyl cutter' on ebay- the guy always has
                                  several
                                  > of them listed with a 'buy it now' price.
                                  >
                                  > ron ginger

                                • Rich Dean
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 12, 2006
                                    Al,
                                    I bought an old machine. Never built one, but I understand the the knife
                                    carrier is very free. NO drag. The knife position is precise. Dead center
                                    side to side and slightly behind center. This gives the force to turn it.
                                    However, this only works down to a limit as the turning angle gets tighter.
                                    For free wheeling holders, I don't know what will happen at this point.
                                    Others will have to help out. Try a web search.
                                    At some point, dictated by software, the servo type picks up the knife
                                    and rotates it then plunging it back into the media. This chopping action
                                    is continued along the curve until the turning angle either eases or ends.
                                    Otherwise, the servo rotates the knife to follow the contour. I like this type.
                                    I bought a copy of the SignLab cutter driver. This accepts eps files.
                                    RichD

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                      > I have been interested in making a free swiveling knife holder, but
                                      > not sure of the details. What `drag' dimension is needed to assure
                                      > tracking? Also, what software is required to allow for this lag? Or
                                      > is the rounding error too small to be a problem in the real world?
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Al

                                      I was always going to make one too, but when I found one for $70 it
                                      seemed cheap enough to just buy it and get on with it. Im not sure of
                                      the drag dimension, it is certainly to small to see- maybe 10 thou or
                                      so. The one I got uses Roland knives, which have a pointed back end that
                                      seats into a strong magnet to hold the knife into the cutter. There is a
                                      tiny ball bearing at the end to support the cutter. It is a very well
                                      made and cleaver design.

                                      The knife I got is sold by this ebay store
                                      http://stores.ebay.com/cuki-messerhalter

                                      A drag knife will always cut slighty rounded corners, but on the stuff
                                      Ive made so far the radius us so small it doesnt matter. IN fact, a
                                      slightly rounded corner may stick better than a sharp square point. I do
                                      plan to use it to make labels and linning (pinstripes) for a G scale
                                      locomotive model, and they are samll enough that the radius may be a
                                      problem. I will try it soon and find out.

                                      For software I use Sheetcam. There is one problem with the start and
                                      stop of the cut. If you just program the exact profile of the cut you
                                      end up with a tiny tag of uncut material at the start-end point. That is
                                      strong enough to resist tearing when you 'weed' the vinyl, and leaves
                                      little wrinkles on the part. I solved it in Sheetcam by doing an arc
                                      lead-in and lead-out. That starts the cut outside the part, and at the
                                      end crosses over the start line and then arcs out. It works perfectly.

                                      ron ginger
                                    • David Morrow
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                        One more idea... have you considered making a template by milling the
                                        shape into some thin aluminum (or plastic or MDF) then clamping the
                                        template to your paper, and then cutting around template with an
                                        Exacto knife ?

                                        David Morrow

                                        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Albert" <neil@...> wrote:

                                        > I would like to cut a number of sheets of adhesive backed silver
                                        > metallic polyester paper.
                                        >
                                        > This paper, made by Papilio, is inkjet printable, so I can print the
                                        > shape I need to cut, a variation on a very thin donut, to be able to
                                        > cut this by hand. The problem is that the glare of the metallic paper
                                        > is so great that I invariably ruin the sheet before the part is
                                        > finished, because I can't see the line.
                                        >
                                        > Does anyone have any experience that might help in using using my mill
                                        > and get a reasonably clean cut? Unfortunately, I don't have a vacuum
                                        > table, so I assume I'd have to use tape to hold it.
                                        >
                                        > Neil Albert

                                      • Neil F Albert
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 13, 2006
                                          No, David.