Machine on it's way... base questions

  • base729
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2006
      Just ordered a 5400-CNC mill w/ the A2Z extended X & Y axis upgrade
      (including the Kerk Motion precision leadscrew).

      The X-table is 19", with 14" of travel, that occupies 33" of X. I
      was hoping to use a 36 x 24 machine base as the platform to install
      the machine. A few questions:

      1. Would a 36" wide base be large enough to handle the total x
      travel? I'm guessing no, since the motor and handwheel would need
      to be under 3" in length.

      2. Are there any 'standard' mounting configurations to aid in
      cleanup and coolant? I was going to mount the mill to a large piece
      of steel (2.6 x 6 x 18) with some leveling feet on it. Then place
      the whole assembly into some sort of plastic tub that wouldn't have
      any holes in it. If I need coolant, I was going to have a return
      line down in the tub to the pump. The shield would be lexan, and
      also sit in the tub to help make it clean.

      I'm sure I'll have more questions as I begin assembling the base,
      but I have roughly 2-3 weeks before the machine arrives, so I have
      time to get it right.

      Thanks,

      Joe
      BASE729, Inc.
    • KM6VV
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2006
        Hi Joe,

        You probably don't need a pump and a lot of coolant. A little cutting
        fluid can be applied by a small acid brush when needed. Many materials
        do not need anything.

        I run my mill in a Plexiglas box, pix in the files. You'll have to
        figure the X axis travel with your new mill. Basically it's 2X the
        length of of the bed, minus the width of the base which is 4". Also
        give additional room for the stepper motor and any handwheel .

        How about some pix and come comments when the new mill comes? Many on
        this list would be interested in hearing about leadscrews on the
        Sherline mill!

        Alan KM6VV