Re: [SherlineCNC] pix of Baby PCB Router

  • Alan Marconett KM6VV
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11, 2006
      Hi Doug,

      Thanks for the kind words. It's getting close to being able to mill
      PCBs. I had to cheat and mill a board for the USBCNC PIC controller
      that I will be trying out on it on the Sherline. Very simple board to
      start, I hope to be able to get a trace between pads. I wonder if I can
      get that small to do surface mount. I'm currently not using ball
      screws, although a retrofit (MK2 design) could use them.

      There is the first example of a milled board in the photos. I only made
      two passes around each trace, more passes could be made. The PCB-GCODE
      yahoo list supports the ulp (Eagle add-on) that I use to generate the
      isolation traces on my PCBs. Milling traces is hard on endmills
      (fiberglass), so it is desirable to make a minimum of passes (also time).

      It could be that the router could also be used to APPLY resist, for
      later etching. I intend to investigate this as well.

      I'll be posting progress pix, and a white paper on the router, it's
      driver electronics and USB-CNC controller as well.

      Alan KM6VV

      Doug Rundell wrote:
      > Alan,
      >
      > Thanks for the router photos. It looks very heavy duty, nice design.
      > I am also trying to cut some circuit boards and would like to see the results of some of your attempts.
      > Using a pointed tool seems like a good method but would leave a lot of copper clad left (comparing to professionally cut boards) but I guess that's not a problem if your circuits are not high frequency.
      >
      > My main problem is to create test cards for cables we produce, and some of our cards use surface mount connectors with 1 mm centers. The traces then spread out to a more usable size for through hole D-subs to connect with the rest of the test components through jumpers. I'd love to see some photos of your router in action and the finished results.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Doug Rundell
      > Billy Bob's Beer, Bait & Tackle
      > 1339 Creekside Ln.
      > Newberg, Oregon 97132
      > drundell1@...<mailto:drundell1@...>

    • Alan Marconett KM6VV
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2006
        Hi Dick,

        Did you find them yet? They were there when I checked them. Look in
        the photos, then find "KM6VV ENGINES", and then go to the last pix, on
        the SECOND page. A URL doesn't help much anymore, too long. I can
        email pix to you when we get back from our vacation.

        Alan KM6VV

      • dickw@nwlink.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2006
          Alan,