RE: [SherlineCNC] Re: Brand New Sherline Mill

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 20 , May 3, 2006
      HI Ballindo,

      > My main point is that someone should take the PIC code which is
      > doing the microstepping and create a chopped unipolar or bipolar
      > output FOR it. We could then have really high power microstepping
      > drives at a trulydecent cost. We'll get to it eventually, but I
      > think there's an opportunity there. Shjould just be a bit of re-
      > write to the pic to handle the chopping needs.

      I'll have to read through linistepper's theory again (ok, several times)
      before I'm exactly sure what they are doing. It would seem that they are
      running the output transistors in a nearly linear mode (class A?), and
      getting limited microstepping with two bits per winding, apparently giving 6
      microsteps (R-2R D/A converter). Can this be chopped? Probably, but then
      would they want to run the outputs in a linear mode (class C or D?)? There
      ARE analog inputs on some of the PICs, but chopping EVERY stepper pulse
      might be a chore for an 8-bit PIC. Maybe not.

      > >Do I understand that you will also sell a driver/PS box with the
      > >driver board optional?
      >
      > We're pursuing that GENTLY. what we have is driver boxes with PS's
      > which are set up to be ready for various 3rd party boards... And
      > which have the upgrade panels that will mate with our ongoing
      > releases of feature add-ins.

      A well designed enclosure and PS would be a joy! Although they are
      interesting to build, I've scrounged up parts and boxes so many times that
      if a commercial one is not too expensive, I'd not mind skipping that task.

      How much (enclosure + PS)?

      Boards for EAS MicroStep boards came in last night; and I expect the new
      opto board in a few days as well. Nice LITTLE board! Now to finish
      collecting parts for it.

      > Ballendo
      >
      > FWIW, we'd probably make excepetions for those who are known
      > electronics savvy, such as yourself. But we're really wanting folks
      > to be able to just step and plugfg soemthings together and USE cnc,
      > not spend all their time building electronics and/or machines.

      I can see that. I can still enjoy building the electronics, writing the
      software, designing the parts with CAD/CAM, and then finally MAKING things!

      Alan KM6VV
    • ballendo
      Message 2 of 20 , May 6, 2006
        >In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Marconett" <KM6VV@...> wrote:
        >
        > HI Ballindo,<sp>
        >A well designed enclosure and PS would be a joy! Although they are
        >interesting to build, I've scrounged up parts and boxes so many
        >times that if a commercial one is not too expensive, I'd not mind
        >skipping that task.
        >
        > How much (enclosure + PS)?

        The problem is that then we're back to supporting a "user built"
        box. Other folks are already doing that. It's truly amazing how in
        just one week, there are already dozens of variables being requested
        to be accomodated. And that's in ADDITION to the "common" ones I
        expected; like Gecko, Xylo, HCNC, etc.

        If a person wants to build a box, he or she should do so. If he or
        she would rather USE the machine, or spend their time making the
        MACHINE, then CNCresource.com is a great source for ready-to-use CNC
        electronics which only require plugging together to use.