A Axis / Rotary table

  • David Morrow
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 7, 2006
      As I'm cutting my clock gears, I'm running into the limitations on
      size of the Sherline mill (mine's a 2000). One of my gears is 7.25". I
      was working on a 5.6" gear last night and found that was about the
      limit of the Y axis.

      I had never seriously considered using a rotary table and A Axis motor
      to cut the gears before but I think it may be the way to be able to
      cut those extra large parts instead of sending them out for cutting. I
      use Sheetcam and Mach 3. I also have a Sherline rotary table. The
      material would lie flat on the rotary table, parallel to the bed.

      Is there anything especially difficult (or impossible)? I presume
      aligning the x=0 / y=0 point of the mill and rotary table may take
      some learning time. Any tips, trick, or techniques anyone can suggest
      as a starting point would be welcome.
    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 7, 2006
        Hi David,

        > Is there anything especially difficult (or impossible)? I presume
        > aligning the x=0 / y=0 point of the mill and rotary table may take
        > some learning time. Any tips, trick, or techniques anyone can suggest
        > as a starting point would be welcome.

        Here's what I do:
        http://www.davehylands.com/Machinist/Techniques/Rotary-Table-Setup/

        --