New file uploaded to SherlineCNC

  • SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 106 , Apr 2, 2006
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the SherlineCNC
      group.

      File : /GearCodeIt/GearCodeIt.exe
      Uploaded by : shortyleatherwood <Shortyl@...>
      Description : Gear cutting Gcode generating software(1.1)

      You can access this file at the URL:

      shortyleatherwood <Shortyl@...>
    • AT&T
      Message 106 of 106 , Apr 28, 2014
        Thanks Craig. Great response and research. I had not thought about the glue angle but that would work. There is no access, so that would be one way they could have done it.  I will test and send it down the road via ebay.

        k.dandobbs@... Sent from my iPhone

        On Apr 28, 2014, at 2:38 AM, <craigl2@...> wrote:

        Dan,

        I do not visit this group often so I just saw your message and pictures a couple of days ago. A couple of years ago I bought an older Sherline lathe (old AC motor and old style tailstock) off of eBay that was described as a CNC conversion. I was hoping to use it to start learning about CNC. Unfortunately as you note the motors are unmarked and I had no clear idea about how to go about finding / building an appropriate controller. The lathe has a "printed foil" label on the top of the headstock which says:

        Paxton-Patterson

        5719 W. 69th St.

        Chicago, IL 60638

        The lathe was mounted on a simple slanted wood base - not the red sheet metal enclosure you may see on YouTube, eBay or elsewhere if you Google "Paxton-Patterson". I did find one forum where someone had a similarly appearing lathe on a wood base and said they were built in partnership with MicroKinetics (who apparently still sell Sherline based CNC lathes). That person said they had no problem replacing the stepper motors so they must have a different mounting. The one I have for the lead screw is probably similar to yours. The motor fits on the tailstock end of the lathe and I thought they used Sherline part #40300 rather than part #40370 as part of the mount. The one I have does have a cut out milled in the side of this part at the level where the stepper shaft is joined to the lead screw but it is not inline with the screw hole as it is in your picture or on part #40370. I do not know how the lead screw and motor shaft are joined. Given the low cost - low tech design my suspicion is that either the shaft or the lead screw was turned down to a close fit in a hole in the other member or, possible a hole was drilled in each and a separate pin used. I don't think they were press fit together. I suspect they were glued with epoxy or a Loctite compound while held in alignment in a jig, hence the window at the level of the joint to allow access.

        As you noted it is rather a simple but ingenious setup. It limits endplay of the lead screw without separate thrust bearings etc and when the stepper is energized and the armature "pulled-in" the endplay may be nearly non existent. Of course the setup is not without major drawbacks - in case of damage or wear the entire unit would have to be replaced etc.

        Craig

        ---In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, <k.dandobbs@...> wrote :

        Thanks.  They were running it from the lead screw handle end of the lathe.  I thought it weird that they used the thrust they way they did.  The held the thrust to the stepper with a single #6 screw - it had to wobble. But it worked manually, I have not connected it to a stepper drive.  I ordered everything to put it back to stock, and this jewel will be an ebay queen soon.

        The lathe is a 4000 as you guessed.

        Best Regards,  Dan