Re: [SherlineCNC] Beginners - Suggestions for books /software

  • Doug Rundell
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2006
      Hi Yves,

      As far as cad goes, I haven't used Alibre, but I LOVE AutoCAD LT. It is very intuitive and the icons make sense. Unfortunately, AutoCAD LT does not convert to G-code without going through another program, which is why I bought Vector CAD/CAM. But I can't make heads nor tails from the Vector tutorial, so I'm still programming my g-code by hand. (Slow but satisfying).

      Doug

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 4, 2006
        Hi Yves,

        Does Alibre produce Gcode or DXF files? I've only played with mine a
        little in some spare time at work. I did their example. Hardly
        remember any of it.

        If you are going to do 2 1/2 D, (mostly contours on flat stock, holes,
        facing off) then you don't need all the 3D of Alibre or Autocad. You
        can design parts basically in 2d, and make the necessary pockets, holes,
        etc.

        You'll either want to generate Gcode directly, or generate and translate
        DXF files into Gcode for TurboCNC or perhaps mach3.

        If you are going to do true 3D surfaces, then you'll want to generate
        STL files, and then generate Gcode from them.

        For my steam engine parts, which are basically 2 1/2 D, I use Vector
        CAD/CAM, and generate Gcode directly.

        Doug Briney's book, The Home Machinist's Handbook comes to mind.
        Also The Shop Wisdom of Rudy Kouhoupt (3 volumes +) available.

        If you haven't purchased CAD software yet, try a free autocad clone, and
        a DXF converter. You can often download a demo version of the software
        to try first.

        Let us know how you get along with Alibre!

        Alan KM6VV

        yvesmail66 wrote:
        > Hi, I just order a new mill (the 2000) with full CNC. I am new to
        > machining, but I decided to go with CNC because I am interested in
        > learning CAD as well.
        >
        > First, I need to decide on a CAD software - Alibre or Autocad. This
        > will only be for small projects. Any recommendation on the software
        > would be appreciated.
        >
        > Also, I would appreciate suggestions on books, for the entire process
        > from CAD to machining.
        >
        > Thank you

      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 4, 2006
          Hi Doug, Yves,

          There is a "white paper" in the files, if you read that, it might help.
          Then feel free to go over the tutorial with us on this list.

          You can import a DXF from AutoCAD and then generate the Gcode in Vector
          if you wish.

          There is also a Vector forum, a GOOD place to ask questions, as Fred
          gets them answered quite fast.

          Alan KM6VV

          Doug Rundell wrote:
          > Hi Yves,
          >
          > As far as cad goes, I haven't used Alibre, but I LOVE AutoCAD LT. It is very intuitive
          > >and the icons make sense. Unfortunately, AutoCAD LT does not
          convert to G-code
          >without going through another program, which is why I bought Vector CAD/CAM. But I
          > can't make heads nor tails from the Vector tutorial, so I'm still programming my
          > g-code by hand. (Slow but satisfying).
          >
          > Doug

        • Carol & Jerry Jankura
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 4, 2006
            Hi, Doug:

            Several of us who have Sherline tools also use Vector both as a CAD program
            and a CAM program. Perhaps you could ask some of your questions here and we
            may be able to help out.

            If you've already got a drawing in AutoCAD format, here's what you'd do:

            1. Load the autocad .DWG into autocad and save it out as a DXF file
            2. Open the DXF file with Vector
            3. Select the entire drawing.
            4. Select the "reorganize elements and the selection" tool. This will put
            the lines in your drawing into an order that can be more easily machined.
            5. If you're not using a G-Code interpreter that offers tool radius
            compenstation, select the lines of the part that you wish to machine and use
            the "create offset geometry" tool to draw the tool path.
            6. Drop a CNC object on the drawing
            7. Select the toolpath. Make sure that the selection shows the vector
            direction in the direction that you wish the cutter to take
            8. select the "Geneate NC-codes from geometry" to generate the G-Code that
            will cut your part.
            9. Edit the G-code to add any feeds or special capabilities that your G-Code
            interpreter requires or can understand. For example, I've added code to use
            TurboCNC's looping capability to the g-code that Vector generates.
            10. Load the code into your G-Code interpreter and cut your part.

            -- Jerry

            > Hi Yves,
            >
            > As far as cad goes, I haven't used Alibre, but I LOVE AutoCAD
            > LT. It is very intuitive and the icons make sense.
            > Unfortunately, AutoCAD LT does not convert to G-code without
            > going through another program, which is why I bought Vector
            > CAD/CAM. But I can't make heads nor tails from the Vector
            > tutorial, so I'm still programming my g-code by hand. (Slow
            > but satisfying).
            >
            > Doug

          • Shannon Holland
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2006
              I haven't used AutoCAD at all but have been using Alibre and am
              pretty happy with it. it won't generate g-code but what it will do a
              good job of is creating a 2D drawing that is linked to your 3-D part.
              So, you can create the part in 3-D, then create a drawing of that
              (where you can add dimensions or other features to help the CAM
              process along). The drawing can be exported as a DXF/DWG for import
              into other CAM software.

              I've personally used SheetCAM and found it to work well with the
              Alibre DXF exports. You can control layer assignment in the 2-D
              alibre drawing which is exactly what you need when doing the CAM work
              with SheetCAM.

              Shannon

              On Mar 4, 2006, at 1:10 PM, yvesmail66 wrote:

              > First, I need to decide on a CAD software - Alibre or Autocad. This
              > will only be for small projects. Any recommendation on the software
              > would be appreciated.

            • Yves Mailhot
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 6, 2006
                Thank you Alan, I ordered the book you suggested. I don't think Alibre produces GCode so I would need another application. I guess I would like Autocad because it seems to be an industry standard (maybe it is just my perception), but at the same time I will never use these skills outside my home so it probably does not matter.

                So I should probably go for what easiest to use.

                Maybe once I read a few book it will all make more sense.

                yvesmail66 wrote:
                > Hi, I just order a new mill (the 2000) with full CNC. I am new to
                > machining, but I decided to go with CNC because I am interested in
                > learning CAD as well.
                >
                > First, I need to decide on a CAD software - Alibre or Autocad. This
                > will only be for small projects. Any recommendation on the software
                > would be appreciated.
                >
                > Also, I would appreciate suggestions on books, for the entire process
                > from CAD to machining.
                >
                > Thank you

              • Doug Rundell
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 12, 2006
                  Thanks for the tips Carol & Jerry,

                  Let me show my ignorance here in the beginning. I started following your instructions by saving a copy of a lathe bed cross section .dwg to a dxf file type. When I open it in Vector, it is too small to see, so I use the "Fit the view to the geometry" button to enlarge the drawing, but to no effect. I use the "Zoom in window for a detail" button to get close enough to see the drawing, then use the "Simulate selection order" button and get arrows in both direction, pointing at each other. I can click on and change the vector directions, but that isn't what you suggested. It seems that I don't have all the toolbars available because I haven't found the "reorganize elements and the selection" tool that you mentioned.

                  Still playing, Doug.

                  Several of us who have Sherline tools also use Vector both as a CAD program
                  and a CAM program. Perhaps you could ask some of your questions here and we
                  may be able to help out.

                  If you've already got a drawing in AutoCAD format, here's what you'd do:

                  1. Load the autocad .DWG into autocad and save it out as a DXF file
                  2. Open the DXF file with Vector
                  3. Select the entire drawing.
                  4. Select the "reorganize elements and the selection" tool. This will put
                  the lines in your drawing into an order that can be more easily machined.
                  5. If you're not using a G-Code interpreter that offers tool radius
                  compenstation, select the lines of the part that you wish to machine and use
                  the "create offset geometry" tool to draw the tool path.
                  6. Drop a CNC object on the drawing
                  7. Select the toolpath. Make sure that the selection shows the vector
                  direction in the direction that you wish the cutter to take
                  8. select the "Geneate NC-codes from geometry" to generate the G-Code that
                  will cut your part.
                  9. Edit the G-code to add any feeds or special capabilities that your G-Code
                  interpreter requires or can understand. For example, I've added code to use
                  TurboCNC's looping capability to the g-code that Vector generates.
                  10. Load the code into your G-Code interpreter and cut your part.

                  -- Jerry

                  > Hi Yves,
                  >
                  > As far as cad goes, I haven't used Alibre, but I LOVE AutoCAD
                  > LT. It is very intuitive and the icons make sense.
                  > Unfortunately, AutoCAD LT does not convert to G-code without
                  > going through another program, which is why I bought Vector
                  > CAD/CAM. But I can't make heads nor tails from the Vector
                  > tutorial, so I'm still programming my g-code by hand. (Slow
                  > but satisfying).
                  >
                  > Doug

                • Fred Smith
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2006
                    --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Rundell" <drundell1@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Thanks for the tips Carol & Jerry,
                    >
                    > Let me show my ignorance here in the beginning. I started following
                    your instructions by saving a copy of a lathe bed cross section .dwg
                    to a dxf file type. When I open it in Vector, it is too small to see,
                    so I use the "Fit the view to the geometry" button to enlarge the
                    drawing, but to no effect. I use the "Zoom in window for a detail"
                    button to get close enough to see the drawing, then use the "Simulate
                    selection order" button and get arrows in both direction, pointing at
                    each other. I can click on and change the vector directions, but
                    that isn't what you suggested. It seems that I don't have all the
                    toolbars available because I haven't found the "reorganize elements
                    and the selection" tool that you mentioned.

                    --------------------------------------

                    Left-Mouse-Drag the coordinate axis to the geometry and the View-All
                    button will show a better zoom scale. If it is far away from the
                    geometry, view all will include all the space between the origin and
                    the contour.

                    Hold down the Shift key and left-click on the contour. The geometry
                    will be selected all the way around, in order. Simulate will display
                    the selection order.

                    Reorganize is found on the menus at the top of the screen, under
                    CHANGE.

                    Hope that helps a bit.

                    Fred Smith - IMService
                  • Carol & Jerry Jankura
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 12, 2006

                    • Carol & Jerry Jankura
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 12, 2006
                        Hi, Doug:

                        You can get the additional tool bars by selecting

                        Special->Options->ToolBars

                        And make sure that all four items are checked.

                        -- Jerry

                        > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "Doug Rundell" <drundell1@...>
                        > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the tips Carol & Jerry,
                        > >
                        > > Let me show my ignorance here in the beginning. I started following
                        > your instructions by saving a copy of a lathe bed cross
                        > section .dwg to a dxf file type. When I open it in Vector, it
                        > is too small to see, so I use the "Fit the view to the
                        > geometry" button to enlarge the drawing, but to no effect. I
                        > use the "Zoom in window for a detail"
                        > button to get close enough to see the drawing, then use the
                        > "Simulate selection order" button and get arrows in both
                        > direction, pointing at each other. I can click on and change
                        > the vector directions, but that isn't what you suggested. It
                        > seems that I don't have all the toolbars available because I
                        > haven't found the "reorganize elements and the selection"
                        > tool that you mentioned.
                        >
                        > --------------------------------------
                        >
                        > Left-Mouse-Drag the coordinate axis to the geometry and the
                        > View-All button will show a better zoom scale. If it is far
                        > away from the geometry, view all will include all the space
                        > between the origin and the contour.
                        >
                        > Hold down the Shift key and left-click on the contour. The
                        > geometry will be selected all the way around, in order.
                        > Simulate will display the selection order.
                        >
                        > Reorganize is found on the menus at the top of the screen,
                        > under CHANGE.
                        >
                        > Hope that helps a bit.
                        >
                        > Fred Smith - IMService

                        > Date: 3/10/2006

                      • Doug Rundell
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 4, 2006
                          Thanks Jerry, that was very helpful.

                          Doug.
                          You can get the additional tool bars by selecting

                          Special->Options->ToolBars

                          And make sure that all four items are checked.

                          -- Jerry

                          > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com>, "Doug Rundell" <drundell1@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the tips Carol & Jerry,
                          > >
                          > > Let me show my ignorance here in the beginning. I started following
                          > your instructions by saving a copy of a lathe bed cross
                          > section .dwg to a dxf file type. When I open it in Vector, it
                          > is too small to see, so I use the "Fit the view to the
                          > geometry" button to enlarge the drawing, but to no effect. I
                          > use the "Zoom in window for a detail"
                          > button to get close enough to see the drawing, then use the
                          > "Simulate selection order" button and get arrows in both
                          > direction, pointing at each other. I can click on and change
                          > the vector directions, but that isn't what you suggested. It
                          > seems that I don't have all the toolbars available because I
                          > haven't found the "reorganize elements and the selection"
                          > tool that you mentioned.
                          >
                          > --------------------------------------
                          >
                          > Left-Mouse-Drag the coordinate axis to the geometry and the
                          > View-All button will show a better zoom scale. If it is far
                          > away from the geometry, view all will include all the space
                          > between the origin and the contour.
                          >
                          > Hold down the Shift key and left-click on the contour. The
                          > geometry will be selected all the way around, in order.
                          > Simulate will display the selection order.
                          >
                          > Reorganize is found on the menus at the top of the screen,
                          > under CHANGE.
                          >
                          > Hope that helps a bit.
                          >
                          > Fred Smith - IMService

                          > Date: 3/10/2006