Mach3

  • baldysm
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
      Has anyone used Mach3 with IMServices 2nd generation controller?

      I'm considering trying it out, but if it doesnt work with the controller,
      it's a pointless exercise.

      What would I need to change to get Mach3 working?

      Thanks

      Scott Meyer
      http://www.penpride.com <http://www.penpride.com/>
      http://www.onlyonecreations.com <http://www.onlyonecreations.com/>
      Creating artistic handcrafted pens of all types for special gifts,
      collectors, and corporations.

    • The Tabletop Machine Shop
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
        Mach3 can be used with IMService's servo systems, but not the 2nd
        generation controller.

        There are two components to Fred's systems, there are the servo
        motors with drivers, and the DeskCNC controller. The servo drivers
        take step and direction inputs and will work with any CNC controller
        that produces step and direction signals (like Mach3, TurboCNC or
        EMC). The DeskCNC controller connects to the serial or USB port of
        the computer and only works with the DeskCNC software. The DeskCNC
        controller produces the step and direction signals which are fed to
        the servo drivers. This is similar to Gecko's G-Rex card which will
        be available soon and will work with Mach4.

        The "2nd generation" listed on Fred's site refers to the DeskCNC
        controller.

        Fred sells his systems in two configurations, one with the DesckCNC
        controller, the other with a parallel port interface without the
        DeskCNC controller. The parallel port interface unit will work
        directly with Mach3, TurboCNC or EMC. If you get the DeskCNC version
        and later want to use Mach3 or other software, you'll have to open
        the controller box and wire up a parallel port interface directly to
        the servo drivers bypassing the DeskCNC board.

        We don't have a Mach3 profile pre-set for Fred's system but would be
        happy to help you get it set up.

        Regards,

        The Tabletop Machine Shop

        On Mar 2, 2006, at 7:15 AM, baldysm wrote:

        > Has anyone used Mach3 with IMServices 2nd generation controller?
        >
        > I'm considering trying it out, but if it doesnt work with the
        > controller,
        > it's a pointless exercise.
        >
        > What would I need to change to get Mach3 working?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Scott Meyer
        > http://www.penpride.com <http://www.penpride.com/>
        > http://www.onlyonecreations.com <http://www.onlyonecreations.com/>
        > Creating artistic handcrafted pens of all types for special gifts,
        > collectors, and corporations.
      • Andrew Mackie
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2006
          GDay All,

          Scott, I posed this question myself a short time ago. It appears that the only
          way you can use Mach3 is to modify the controller by adding a Parallel Port
          breakout board (or a simple cable) and ditching the DeskCNC controller section
          of the DeskCNC control unit.

          If you have no experience with electronics then I would not suggest that you
          try this yourself. However, if you have a contact versed in electronics that
          is willing to help, or you have enough knowledge yourself, then you may
          consider it.

          I admit that I am attracted to some of the features and flash offered by Mach3
          myself, but weighing up the advantages against DeskCNC, it is my opinion that
          the DeskCNC controller is easier to configure and hopefully that means more
          idiot proof. Just what I need!!! .... lol

          By the comments I have read, both here and in other forums, the DeskCNC
          Controller is quite robust and more than adequate for the task.

          If you do decide to make the switch, I would be most interested in your
          results also.

          Regards
          Andrew Mackie

          Has anyone used Mach3 with IMServices 2nd generation controller?

          I'm considering trying it out, but if it doesnt work with the controller,
          it's a pointless exercise.

          What would I need to change to get Mach3 working?

          Thanks

          Scott Meyer
          http://www.penpride.com <http://www.penpride.com/>
          http://www.onlyonecreations.com <http://www.onlyonecreations.com/>
          Creating artistic handcrafted pens of all types for special gifts,
          collectors, and corporations.

          Sherline lathe

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "SherlineCNC" on the web.