Vector / Cad2Lathe

  • wanliker@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      In a message dated 2/28/2006 12:38:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
      SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com writes:

      I've used Robert Adam's Cad2Lathe program in the past. He's got an

      Please tell us a lot more about this program and how it has helped, I wish
      he had a downloadable Demo available, living on SS precludes buying until you
      are sure it is the answer for your needs.

      I am also battling with Vector, and find it really is a mill program, with
      very poor lathe implementation....

      I want to draw in a 2 D environment with the +X axis at the top, and the +Z
      axis on the right, when the program asks for data inputs, I want them to
      correspond with the axis that I am using, no conversions in my head.
      When I make a GCode, I don't want an unused axis showing on every line to
      make things hard to read.

      Is this too much to ask for?
      bill

    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
        Hi Bill,

        > Please tell us a lot more about this program and how it has helped, I wish
        > he had a downloadable Demo available, living on SS precludes buying until you
        > are sure it is the answer for your needs.

        Like I said, I haven't used the new version yet.

        In the old version, you laid stuff out in front of you using the X and Y axis.

        The X axis corresponded to going along the carriage and the Y axis
        corresponded to the carriage.

        So X in CAD = Z in G-Code
        and Y in CAD = X in G-Code.

        But at least that way what you saw on the screen was oriented the same
        way you'd see it on the lathe in front of you (and you could use a 2D
        CAD program to design your profile).

        You'd create paths, and the order that the paths were in the file
        would determine the order that they were generated in the GCode (I
        don't know if its still the same or not).

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada