Re: [SherlineCNC] Digital tachometer source ?

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
      Just a few months ago, I looked over the hand-held digital tachs in
      my local hobby shop's R/C department and adopted one for my shop.

      About $30........

      Best to ya'
      Mike Bauers
      Milwaukee Wi, USA

      On Jan 31, 2006, at 8:36 PM, David Morrow wrote:

      > Camtronics used to sell a digital tachometer which I thought would be
      > a nice addition to the Sherline mill but it's no longer available. ( I
      > tried adapting a bicycle computer but the motor plays havoc with the
      > unit. )
      >
      > I've ordered a Sherline 10,000 rpm kit and am thinking that a tach
      > might be even more important now. Can anyone suggest a source ?
    • Randy Gordon-Gilmore
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
        Thanks Doug and Alan for mentioning the Tachjr. It is quite a bit cheaper
        than the Tachulator (though it doesn't calculate SFM). I'm happy with my
        Tachulator, but if I need any more tachs I'll give this one a try.

        Best regards,

        Randy

        Randy Gordon-Gilmore  ,----.___________  ______________  _________________
        ProtoTrains          // =   =  === ==  || ==   == == = || == == ==  = == =|
        Rio Vista, CA, USA  /-O==O------------o==o------------o==o-----------o==o-'
        zephyr9900@...                      http://www.prototrains.com
      • Doug Fortune
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2006
          David Morrow wrote:
          > Can anyone suggest a source ?

          Consider this post from jim matheson

          Here is the important paragraph:

          "Any cycling computer can be made into a cadence computer by mounting
          the magnet and sensor on the cranks and by setting the wheel size to
          1667mm and the readout to km/hr (instead of mph). This is true for any
          bike, any wheel size. The speed will indicate cadence, such that 9.7
          km/hr will be a cadence of 97 rpm."

          cheerz
          Doug

          .
        • David Morrow
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2006
            I've tried it but it doesn't seem to work as the sensor is too close
            to the motor.