Limit Switches - 3rd

  • Brian Chapman
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
      Alan,

      I've uploaded two more photos into the album in Photos:

      FCut-4 - shows the -X LS attached horizontally to a small flat plate,
      itself affixed by screw to the bottom of the mill bed. This hole in
      the mill bed, is this where the "hard limit" bolt hole is located?

      FCut-5 - a pic of the rear of the FCut signal generator box. The LS
      wires from the 5 mill LS's are wired into a single plug, which snaps
      into a female receptacle immediately to the right of the visible RS-
      232 cable.

      I reviewed the itemized records from my FlashCut order, and the only
      Limit Switch charge there is for the $145 Limit/Home Switch Kit. I
      have no idea (like so many other things with machining ;) )what the
      OS-02 LS cable ($100) is for.

      Clear as mud, right?

      Brian

      Brian Chapman
      Cedar Rapids, Iowa

      ---
    • Alan Marconett KM6VV
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
        Hi Brian,

        Thanks again for posting! Yes, that's what I've been calling the "hard
        limit" bolt. I suspected that it could be used to hold a switch
        somehow.

        Funny about the $100 cable. Guess I don't need one! It's tempting to
        be able to order a "kit" for the limit switches, but I'll probably just
        scrounge it all!

        The lathe I just got will also need limit switches at some time. I
        haven't studied it for the addition of limit switches... yet.

        You mentioned doing your own controller (or Gcode generator?) to run
        your lathe. What conventions do you use and where do you locate X0 Z0
        (home)? Any thoughts to generating Gcode like Vector CAD/CAM does for
        your lathe (I don't know what Dolphin does for lathes)?

        Yeah, I've yet to cut anything with CNC on the lathe, but I've THOUGHT
        it to death! The Plexiglas enclosure for the lathe is done. My
        driver/PS for the lathe is nearing completion, and as soon as I can get
        those pesky IDC connectors wired up for the surplus motors I purchased,
        I'll be in business!

        Anyone know if there is a tool (cheap) for these connectors? The motors
        were pictured on Jeff's Xylotex site.

        Alan KM6VV
        May the swarf be with you!

        Brian Chapman wrote:

        > Alan,
        >
        > I've uploaded two more photos into the album in Photos:
        >
        > FCut-4 - shows the -X LS attached horizontally to a small flat plate,
        > itself affixed by screw to the bottom of the mill bed. This hole in
        > the mill bed, is this where the "hard limit" bolt hole is located?
        >
        > FCut-5 - a pic of the rear of the FCut signal generator box. The LS
        > wires from the 5 mill LS's are wired into a single plug, which snaps
        > into a female receptacle immediately to the right of the visible RS-
        > 232 cable.
        >
        > I reviewed the itemized records from my FlashCut order, and the only
        > Limit Switch charge there is for the $145 Limit/Home Switch Kit. I
        > have no idea (like so many other things with machining ;) )what the
        > OS-02 LS cable ($100) is for.
        >
        > Clear as mud, right?
        >
        > Brian
        >
        > Brian Chapman
        > Cedar Rapids, Iowa
      • forumtvm
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
          Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:

          > The lathe I just got will also need limit switches at some time. I
          > haven't studied it for the addition of limit switches... yet.

          Wonder if a quickie solution using micro switches and velcro/double
          sided tapes would be goog enough for initial testing of limit
          switches, suitable positions, input for controller, experience, etc.
          After all, if it is not intended as a home switch, repeatibility is
          not an issue and they can be put into action in seconds.

          Peter

        • Alan Marconett KM6VV
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
            Hi Peter,

            Not a bad idea! Although I'm partial to "EB Green" or Duct tape.

            Did you get a limit switch kit with your FlashCut signal generator? Did
            you get your limit switches wired yet (.DXF)?

            Alan KM6VV
            P.S. "EB Green" is like duct tape, but green. Used it in shipyard in
            Virginia.

            forumtvm wrote:

            > Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...> wrote:
            >
            > > The lathe I just got will also need limit switches at some time. I
            > > haven't studied it for the addition of limit switches... yet.
            >
            > Wonder if a quickie solution using micro switches and velcro/double
            > sided tapes would be goog enough for initial testing of limit
            > switches, suitable positions, input for controller, experience, etc.
            > After all, if it is not intended as a home switch, repeatibility is
            > not an issue and they can be put into action in seconds.
            >
            > Peter
            >
            > > Hi Brian,
            > >
            > > Thanks again for posting! Yes, that's what I've been calling the
            > > "hard limit" bolt. I suspected that it could be used to hold a switch
            > > somehow.
            > >
            > > Funny about the $100 cable. Guess I don't need one! It's tempting to
            > > be able to order a "kit" for the limit switches, but I'll probably just
            > > scrounge it all!
            > >
            > > The lathe I just got will also need limit switches at some time. I
            > > haven't studied it for the addition of limit switches... yet.
            > >
            > > You mentioned doing your own controller (or Gcode generator?) to run
            > > your lathe. What conventions do you use and where do you locate X0 Z0
            > > (home)? Any thoughts to generating Gcode like Vector CAD/CAM does for
            > > your lathe (I don't know what Dolphin does for lathes)?
            > >
            > > Yeah, I've yet to cut anything with CNC on the lathe, but I've THOUGHT
            > > it to death! The Plexiglas enclosure for the lathe is done. My
            > > driver/PS for the lathe is nearing completion, and as soon as I can get
            > > those pesky IDC connectors wired up for the surplus motors I purchased,
            > > I'll be in business!
            > >
            > > Anyone know if there is a tool (cheap) for these connectors? The motors
            > > were pictured on Jeff's Xylotex site.
            > >
            > > Alan KM6VV
            > > May the swarf be with you!
          • pcfw
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
              Hi Alan,

              > Did you get a limit switch kit with your FlashCut signal
              generator? Did
              > you get your limit switches wired yet (.DXF)?

              Confession time. A bit red-faced that I didn't put the photos for the
              list, etc. Excuse: I wired it up for a while, but the signal
              generator-gecko combination put me off track, probably because of the
              incompatibility of its opto-isolator/pulse train with the Geckos.
              This was in the early days, when I was still feeling my way around
              and not seasoned yet to track down the problem, so many variables, so
              many other possible source of the problem including my own ignorance,
              and don't remember reading any posts then mentioning this
              incompatibility problem of flashcut with the geckos. Anyway, support
              from flashcut says to replace the IC with transistors . This was done
              and did manage to move the steppers, etc., but was not happy with the
              feedrate, etc. But was pretty happy to just generate G-codes,
              check/"simulate" codes, use its editor to put toolpath on the screen
              block by block (instant verification, step4 should have this) even
              minus the signal generator. May have avoided this hiccup had I
              started with a non-gecko driver. Can't remember fully what happen
              afterwards, but I found the limit switches, especially the connectors
              sticking out from the switches obstructive and troublesome, plus the
              mess of wires running all over "unprofessional" so I discontinued
              their use.

              Redeeming factor: my suggestion to try velcro/double-sided tapes for
              easily "shiftable" configurations to optimise the positioning/wiring
              before a more permanent position. (a micro-switch with terminals
              sticking out in different direction from the ones from Flashcut may
              help). So hope hard you still welcome me to your list.

              Anyway, haven't been doing that much chipmaking, taking quite a bit
              of time reading posts, following links, etc. etc, trying to be a
              crackpot inventor, plus diversion from having to earn my daily bread.

              BTW, keep hearing about this duct/duck tapes especially after Osama
              threaten to flood USA with chemical/biological agents. What exactly
              is this duck tape?

              Peter with not so much swarf.

              --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>

            • John Guenther
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                Peter,

                It is actually not duck tape but duct tape. Duct tape is a cloth tape,
                about 2 inches wide with a silver (looks something like metal) surface on
                one side a very very sticky surface on the other. This stuff is meant to be
                used in sealing up heating and air conditioning duct work but has found many
                other uses. People use it to repair many things, patch water hoses, fasten
                toys together etc. It has also become known as "200 mile per hour" tape in
                the NASCAR racing world among other places.

                John Guenther
                'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
                Sterling, Virginia

                SNIP

                > BTW, keep hearing about this duct/duck tapes especially after Osama
                > threaten to flood USA with chemical/biological agents. What exactly
                > is this duck tape?
                >
                > Peter with not so much swarf.

                SNIP
              • Charles Hixon
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                  Learn more about duct tape here

                  http://www.ducttapeguys.com/

                  --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "pcfw" <pcfw@y...> wrote:
> [...]
                  > >
                  > > Did you get a limit switch kit with your FlashCut signal
                  > generator? Did
                  > > you get your limit switches wired yet (.DXF)?
                  > >
                  > > Alan KM6VV
                  > > P.S. "EB Green" is like duct tape, but green. Used it in
                  shipyard
                  > in
                  > > Virginia.
                  > >

                  > > forumtvm wrote:

                  > time. I
                  > > >
                  > > > Wonder if a quickie solution using micro switches and
                  > velcro/double
                  > > > sided tapes would be goog enough for initial testing of limit
                  > > > switches, suitable positions, input for controller,
                  experience,
                  > etc.
                  > > > After all, if it is not intended as a home switch,
                  repeatibility
                  > is
                  > > > not an issue and they can be put into action in seconds.

                • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                    Hi Peter,

                    Yes, I seem to recall some confusion between FlashCut and Geckos. :>(

                    The limit switches DO add quite a bit of "wire" confusion, but will
                    probably be worth it later.

                    A "duct" is a sheet metal pipe used to move air around a building. Duct
                    tape often holds the joints of these ducts together. "McGyver" (see
                    T.V. series McGyver aka Jack on SG1) types fix EVERYTHING with duct
                    tape. Lots of jokes about "duck" tape being used to tape up your duck
                    (see various T-shirts).

                    Seems the EPA or some other organization recommended buying tape to tape
                    up windows in case of bio attack. But that's going a little off topic.

                    OK, guess we can wait a little longer for your FlashCut pix! ;>)

                    How about your lathe, did you put CNC on it?

                    Actually, STEP4 DOES have toolpath verification, the "PLOT GCODE"
                    function allows one to "step" through a program (mill OR LATHE) using
                    the 'S' key, and see the evolving toolpath on a graphics screen. NOT
                    while actually cutting metal. Perhaps that's what you mean.

                    Does newest FlashCut show moves in other then XY plane (G17)? How about
                    for a lathe's XZ plane (G18)? My old version 1.4 doesn't.

                    Alan KM6VV
                    P.S. I LIKE the Velcro idea.

                    pcfw wrote:

                    > Hi Alan,
                    >
                    > > Did you get a limit switch kit with your FlashCut signal generator? Did
                    > > you get your limit switches wired yet (.DXF)?
                    >
                    > Confession time. A bit red-faced that I didn't put the photos for the
                    > list, etc. Excuse: I wired it up for a while, but the signal
                    > generator-gecko combination put me off track, probably because of the
                    > incompatibility of its opto-isolator/pulse train with the Geckos.
                    > This was in the early days, when I was still feeling my way around
                    > and not seasoned yet to track down the problem, so many variables, so
                    > many other possible source of the problem including my own ignorance,
                    > and don't remember reading any posts then mentioning this
                    > incompatibility problem of flashcut with the geckos. Anyway, support
                    > from flashcut says to replace the IC with transistors . This was done
                    > and did manage to move the steppers, etc., but was not happy with the
                    > feedrate, etc. But was pretty happy to just generate G-codes,
                    > check/"simulate" codes, use its editor to put toolpath on the screen
                    > block by block (instant verification, step4 should have this) even
                    > minus the signal generator. May have avoided this hiccup had I
                    > started with a non-gecko driver. Can't remember fully what happen
                    > afterwards, but I found the limit switches, especially the connectors
                    > sticking out from the switches obstructive and troublesome, plus the
                    > mess of wires running all over "unprofessional" so I discontinued
                    > their use.
                    >
                    > Redeeming factor: my suggestion to try velcro/double-sided tapes for
                    > easily "shiftable" configurations to optimise the positioning/wiring
                    > before a more permanent position. (a micro-switch with terminals
                    > sticking out in different direction from the ones from Flashcut may
                    > help). So hope hard you still welcome me to your list.
                    >
                    > Anyway, haven't been doing that much chipmaking, taking quite a bit
                    > of time reading posts, following links, etc. etc, trying to be a
                    > crackpot inventor, plus diversion from having to earn my daily bread.
                    >
                    > BTW, keep hearing about this duct/duck tapes especially after Osama
                    > threaten to flood USA with chemical/biological agents. What exactly
                    > is this duck tape?
                    >
                    > Peter with not so much swarf.
                    >
                    > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > Hi Peter,
                    > >
                    > > Not a bad idea! Although I'm partial to "EB Green" or Duct tape.
                    > >
                    > > Did you get a limit switch kit with your FlashCut signal generator? Did
                    > > you get your limit switches wired yet (.DXF)?
                    > >
                    > > Alan KM6VV
                    > > P.S. "EB Green" is like duct tape, but green. Used it in shipyard in
                    > > Virginia.

                  • Brian Chapman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                      > You mentioned doing your own controller (or Gcode generator?) to run
                      your lathe. What conventions do you use and where do you locate X0 Z0
                      (home)? Any thoughts to generating Gcode like Vector CAD/CAM does for
                      your lathe (I don't know what Dolphin does for lathes)? <

                      Alan, you're thinking of someone else, I guarantee it! I'm not able
                      skill-wise to build or assemble my own lathe controller.

                      Actually, the FlashCut setup I bought includes lathe control. My
                      lathe is wired; I'm told all I need do is uncouple the mill motor
                      cables and plug in the two lathe motor cables. I have yet to try this
                      out.

                      Vector Cad/Cam handles lathe work, too, as I understand it. So, I'm
                      hoping a Vector-FlashCut software synergy works well for a lathe as
                      it does for the mill. I am waiting for the second training disc from
                      Vector, which is supposed to cover lathe operation, IIRC. Hope this
                      CD arrives pretty soon.

                      Brian

                      Brian Chapman
                      Cedar Rapids, Iowa

                      ---
                    • forumtvm
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@a...>

                        > OK, guess we can wait a little longer for your FlashCut pix! ;>)

                        Looks like someone has beaten me to it. :-( Will look for other
                        oportunity.

                        > How about your lathe, did you put CNC on it?

                        It is CNC'ed, but the only thing I turned was a pin extractor, and
                        that was done manually. The spindle has now been removed and replaced
                        with my own version of Sherline's 2000 ..... (added later: z-axis
                        column) conversion to a mill. But waiting for you to come up with
                        some spectacular creation with CNC lathe then I'll convert it back
                        again. Actually I hope to do something like spiral flute, etc, one
                        day, but seems that would be a rotary table rather than lathe
                        operation. Fred says Vector is very capable in that area, so now it
                        is over to you.

                        > Actually, STEP4 DOES have toolpath verification, the "PLOT GCODE"
                        > function allows one to "step" through a program (mill OR LATHE)
                        using
                        > the 'S' key, and see the evolving toolpath on a graphics screen.
                        NOT
                        > while actually cutting metal. Perhaps that's what you mean.

                        I mean using Flashcut almost like conversational programming (hope
                        others don't jump on me for my interpretation of conversational
                        programming). In the editor, type a block, click update, and
                        imediately see the toolpath. In this way one can program (not
                        execute) step-by-step and imediately catch any error.

                        > Does newest FlashCut show moves in other then XY plane (G17)? How
                        about
                        > for a lathe's XZ plane (G18)? My old version 1.4 doesn't.

                        I have installed Flashcut 2.0 demo on quite a no. of Win98 machines
                        without problem so far, so don't understand why you're having problem.
                        The windows are configurable - you can have windows just like 1.4
                        with only XY and Z window, or you can add isometric, XZ, etc. Haven't
                        tried anything on the lathe mode yet. I suspect you can even do
                        without any toolpath window.

                        Peter TV8MM

                        Sorry I stepped into your teritory. Would not have posted that
                        antenna bit had I saw your post. And duck tape - wow. It looks like
                        an american institution. You can even have ducktape 101!

                      • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                          Hi Brian,

                          YES! I must be confusing you with another list member! My apologies!

                          My reference is FlashCut 1.4, not the latest! I'd think Vector CAD/CAM
                          would work QUITE well with FlashCut. I hadn't heard about a CD for the
                          lathe! I'll have to check into that (although I THINK I've got it
                          figured out)! ;>)

                          Alan KM6VV

                          Brian Chapman wrote:

                          > > You mentioned doing your own controller (or Gcode generator?) to run
                          > your lathe. What conventions do you use and where do you locate X0 Z0
                          > (home)? Any thoughts to generating Gcode like Vector CAD/CAM does for
                          > your lathe (I don't know what Dolphin does for lathes)? <
                          >
                          > Alan, you're thinking of someone else, I guarantee it! I'm not able
                          > skill-wise to build or assemble my own lathe controller.
                          >
                          > Actually, the FlashCut setup I bought includes lathe control. My
                          > lathe is wired; I'm told all I need do is uncouple the mill motor
                          > cables and plug in the two lathe motor cables. I have yet to try this
                          > out.
                          >
                          > Vector Cad/Cam handles lathe work, too, as I understand it. So, I'm
                          > hoping a Vector-FlashCut software synergy works well for a lathe as
                          > it does for the mill. I am waiting for the second training disc from
                          > Vector, which is supposed to cover lathe operation, IIRC. Hope this
                          > CD arrives pretty soon.
                          >
                          > Brian
                          >
                          > Brian Chapman
                          > Cedar Rapids, Iowa
                        • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                            Hi Peter,

                            I'm hoping my Beam engine (column's example) will inspire others! I
                            haven't thought of any other CNC lathe projects... yet.

                            Yes, Vector supports the rotary table rather well in the "rotary"
                            version, I'm told.

                            FlashCut conversational? OK, update tool path from an MDI entry. Nice
                            idea. I'll have to give that some thought. And I MUST get a 2.0 demo
                            running! When I try to install a 2.0 demo on my Windoz 98 computah, the
                            install program protests!

                            No problem on the antennas. Yeah, I've got a few. DC to daylight!
                            TV8MM you say! Did you get a ham license? I don't recognize the
                            prefix!

                            Best regards,

                            Alan KM6VV (US HAM)
                            Yeah, gotta LOVE Duct Tape!

                            forumtvm wrote:

> [...]
                            > > > their use.
                            > > >
                            > > > Redeeming factor: my suggestion to try velcro/double-sided tapes
                            > for
                            > > > easily "shiftable" configurations to optimise the
                            > positioning/wiring
                            > > > before a more permanent position. (a micro-switch with terminals
                            > > > sticking out in different direction from the ones from Flashcut
                            > may
                            > > > help). So hope hard you still welcome me to your list.
                            > > >
                            > > > Anyway, haven't been doing that much chipmaking, taking quite a
                            > bit
                            > > > of time reading posts, following links, etc. etc, trying to be a
                            > > > crackpot inventor, plus diversion from having to earn my daily
                            > bread.
                            > > >
                            > > > BTW, keep hearing about this duct/duck tapes especially after
                            > Osama
                            > > > threaten to flood USA with chemical/biological agents. What

                          • Marshall Pharoah
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                              I've been working on an educational robot at a local state university.
                              Someone pulled the EPROM's from the controller box, and Ive been
                              retrofitting a single board computer. Anyway, the robot uses an interesting
                              arrangement for limit switches. The axis first hits a soft limit switch,
                              which is wired to a digital input. If the axis continues, it hits a
                              hardware limit switch which shuts down power to the motor for that axis.

                              The switches are normal microswitch types embedded in an aluminum bar. As
                              the axis moves, a ball bearing rolls up and down this bar until it reaches
                              the limit switch (and beyond if you don't detect it). If you hit the hard
                              limit swich, you have to manually turn the motor to get it back into the
                              operating range.

                              If there is interest in looking at this, I may already have taken digital
                              photos for the documentation package, or I will stop in and photograph them
                              this week. I plan to convert my mill real soon now, and this is one method
                              I'm looking at.

                              Marshall
                            • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                Hi Marshall,

                                Yes, this sounds interesting! Do you think it can be adapted to the
                                Sherline?

                                Alan KM6VV

                                Marshall Pharoah wrote:

                                > I've been working on an educational robot at a local state university.
                                > Someone pulled the EPROM's from the controller box, and Ive been
                                > retrofitting a single board computer. Anyway, the robot uses an interesting
                                > arrangement for limit switches. The axis first hits a soft limit switch,
                                > which is wired to a digital input. If the axis continues, it hits a
                                > hardware limit switch which shuts down power to the motor for that axis.
                                >
                                > The switches are normal microswitch types embedded in an aluminum bar. As
                                > the axis moves, a ball bearing rolls up and down this bar until it reaches
                                > the limit switch (and beyond if you don't detect it). If you hit the hard
                                > limit swich, you have to manually turn the motor to get it back into the
                                > operating range.
                                >
                                > If there is interest in looking at this, I may already have taken digital
                                > photos for the documentation package, or I will stop in and photograph them
                                > this week. I plan to convert my mill real soon now, and this is one method
                                > I'm looking at.
                                >
                                > Marshall
                              • Marshall Pharoah
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003

                                  Yes, I do think that it can be adapted to the Sherline. I have thought
                                  about this for some time. This method would work well because the Sherline
                                  has a fixed table height. I'm not convinced that the roller method is needed
                                  though.

                                  I have uploaded a low res photo that was on my camera as "Sir-1 robot" to
                                  the photos section of the group. If you load it into a viewer and look at
                                  the left side (the back of the robot) you can make out two assemblies which
                                  each are the limit switches for a different axis. The leadscrew doesn't
                                  show the threads real well, but it is the brightest object. Farther left
                                  are the limit switches, which are microswitches embedded in the aluminum
                                  bar. There is a roller which moves with the "carriage" and contacts the
                                  limit switch. The two limit switches are wired in series, and the software
                                  can tell which one has been reached because because it knows the direction
                                  of travel. Not seen is another set of switches in the same bar, but on the
                                  other side of it, which are spaced slightly more widely apart and which
                                  directly cut power to the motor.

                                  I had been thinking along these lines for the Sherline, but I don't think
                                  the rollers are required. I do like the way the microswitches are
                                  encapsulated.

                                  Marshall
                                • Marshall Pharoah
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                    Let me know if you want a higher resolution photo of a specific part. I will
                                    try to stop in and take them this week, if they have restored my access to
                                    the lab.

                                    I also should mention that in some places the robot uses a phototransistor
                                    to detect limit or home.

                                    Marshall

                                  • Alan Marconett KM6VV
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003
                                      Hi Marshall,

                                      Interesting robot! If you get something figured out for a Sherline, I'm
                                      sure we'd all like to see it. And I'm curious about this switch
                                      encapsulating.

                                      Alan KM6VV

                                      Marshall Pharoah wrote:

> [...]
                                    • Marshall Pharoah
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 1, 2003

                                        It's really just mounted in the aluminum protecting it and placing the
                                        switch face on the same plane that the roller rolls along. I like that it
                                        protects it.

                                        Marshall