Source for affordable quality steppers...What should I look for?

  • bdmail
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hello folks,

      I am going to start my move towards CNC.

      I will be first going the 555-timer and switch/rheostat route for a while,
      and would like that option for easy thoughtless power drive for lathe and
      mill.

      Are there steppers to avoid or lean towards?

      Sources?

      Thanks again folks

      Bernie
    • Alan Marconett
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        Hi Bernie,

        The steppers must be appropriate for the driver. The very simple unipolar
        driver "hobby kits" may be unipolar, and often do a little better with
        higher voltage steppers. Bipolar drivers generally do quite well with low
        voltage steppers. Go to Xylotex and see if Jeff has some motors. Or
        Camtronics and see what Dan has. Both are quite willing to help!