Re: Xylotex: Anyone had experience with CNC kits from them?

  • joecomunale1
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2005
      Many thanks to the people on this Special Interest Group!
      My thanks for input go to:
      - Table Top Machine Shop
      - Ron Ginger
      - sbsmwj
      - Fred Smith
      - jchrisj7734
      - Alan Marconett
      - montanaaardvark
      - Chris Holm
      - Randy Zephr9900
      - Shorty Leatherwood
      - Geert de Pecker

      And anyone I may have missed. This is a great group for input.

      Thanks again,

      Joe

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "xylotex" <xylotex@h...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > The 3 Axis version (Rev2.02) and 4 axis version (rev4.00) of the
      > Xylotex drive boards include STEP and DIR R-C filtering and a logic
      > buffer (HCT541).
      >
      > The RC filters help remove small unwanted voltage spikes induced
      on
      > to the parallel port signals lines. The spikes are often caused by
      > noisy, arcing spindles.
      >
      > The HCT541 allows the use of "green" PCs that have lower signal
      > voltages levels. It also helps "shape-up" the signal from the R-C
      > filter.
      >
      > Both of these versions have been out for almost two years now (+/-
      > ). They virtually eliminate noise problems and low signal voltage
      > drive problems, so unless you get an older board off ebay or
      > something, noise problems are basically a thing of the past.
      >
      > In adddition to the R-C filtering and logic buffering, both of
      > these newer boards have the onboard DC-DC converter that takes the
      > Vbb (motor voltage, typ. 24VDC to 30VDC) and converts it to 5V for
      > logic use. The older "power steal cable" is no longer required.
      >
      > The "original" design was unfiltered to allow a user to use the
      > chipset with its "raw" capabilities (up to 500KHz). Well, no one
      in
      > the CNC field needs that kind of step rate, so filtering was
      added.
      > You can still go fast (I've had a stepper going at about 120KHz),
      but
      > around 200KHz you will start seeing a cut off. Again, that's faster
      > than a CNC machine needs.
      >
      > For those of you interested, not only does Xylotex sell the 3 and
      4
      > axis drive boards, but also available are 24VDC/4.5A power supplies
      > with fan sets, and the 269 oz.in. double shafted motors (attach the
      > Sherline jog wheel to the back of the motor for manual movement).
      If
      > you want a complete ready-to-go drive box, with 4 axis drive, power
      > supply, stepper motors, fans, enclosure, all cabling (basically a
      > complete plug-and-play, ready-to-go system), these are available
      > for $550.00. That's a pretty good deal when compared to Sherline's
      > 8760 4 axis drive box which lists for $600.00 and doesn't even come
      > with motors :-)
      >
      > Jeff
      > http://www.xylotex.com
      >
      > the drive box mentioned can be seen here:
      > http://www.xylotex.com/Econo4Ax.htm
      >

      > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Geert De Pecker
      > <geert.de.pecker@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Joe,
      > >
      > > I am very happy with the xylotex and have seen on jeff's site that
      > > he has steppers with more torque available. I'm running with
      surplus
      > > pacsci motors on X and Y and a new sanyo-denki for the Z (on the
      > mill).
      > >
      > > Like randy says the board is very sensible to noise:
      > >
      > > I had problems with loosing steps and couldn't get rid of it.
      Spend