Re: Retrofitting a Sherline 4400 Lathe to CNC - Could Use Help/Advice

  • joecomunale1
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
      I am getting the input from a lot of people to use the Sherline CNC
      Retrofit kit.

      This appears to be Sherline P/N: 6730 (for the 4400 Lathe) $210
      (Includes 2 NEMA 23 mounts, couplings, anit-backlash nut, Leadscrews,
      drilling template, etc.).

      Luckily for me I have access to a Bridgeport with a DRO (My small
      Chinese Mill with DRO probably won't hold the piece and be able to
      drill) at work to drill these things as accurately as I can (I don't
      trust myself and the template).

      Next will be the Steppers and controller boards- and I've already
      started to receive good info from this Special Interest Group on that.
      I definitely will be using at least 150 oz-in steppers, probably go
      over kill and use 200 oz-in steppers.

      So far - the retrofit is coming in at around $450-500 total (not
      counting my free labor).

      Sure appreciate the information, input, and advice from everyone.

      Joe C.

      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@a...> wrote:

      > I did my first Sherline conversion before they made the mounts, but
      Id
      > never make my own again- their mechanincal stuff is very nice.
      >
      > Their kit includes a drill jig, its not hard to do the drill and
      tap,
      > with reasonable care.
      >
      > I think their motors are a bit on the wimpy side- Id like to see
      more
      > like 150-180 oz Several people now sell the better, square form,
      motors.
      > I think Xylotex has them at a good price, also hobbycnc
      >
      > I would STRONGLY NOT suggest the sherline driver board. IMHO its a
      hack.
      > They designed it so it could all fit inside the PC box, a noble
      desire,
      > but the controller is weak at best. Use either Xylotex or HobbyCNC
      instead.

      > I used moglice to eliminate the backlash on my mill. Ive been happy
      with
      > it, and have also used it on a large Prazi mill. See my web pages
      for a
      > description- http://plsntcov.8m.com
      >
      > ron ginger

    • Alan Marconett
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
        Hi Joe,

        That's what this group is for!

        Enjoy!

      • Fred Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
          --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "joecomunale1" <joecomunale@c...>
          wrote:

          >Most of the servo's I've seen - for
          > some reason - run a lot slower than steppers, and cost more. But
          > maybe that's only my impression and not a true fact.

          Our Globe servos run at 45 ipm with a 28v power supply. No lost
          steps, no resonance, and .1-.2 sec acceleration to full speed on a
          Sherline lathe or mill. The control resolution is approx, 112,000
          steps per inch. The motors run all day and stay cool to the touch,
          avoiding thermal expansion issues.

          Fred Smith - IMService
          http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby