Re: Retrofitting a Sherline 4400 Lathe to CNC - Could Use Help/Advice

  • joecomunale1
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
      Thanks for the advice, Fred.

      I am thinking I will go lower cost - and go stepper motors on the
      Lathe. It is largely for wood products, and probably only a few
      metal projects. I have seen fairly good results from stepper
      installations on a retrofit to a lathe of my friend in Ohio
      (Hardinge, and an Ah-ha kit) - so the stepper thing doesn't worry me
      too much for this project. Most of the servo's I've seen - for
      some reason - run a lot slower than steppers, and cost more. But
      maybe that's only my impression and not a true fact.

      <joecomunale@c...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Group,
      > >
      > > I have a Sherline 4400 Lathe that I want to retrofit with CNC.
      > > It is not CNC ready (i.e. - it is not pre-drilled in either
      axis.).
      > > Wondering:
      > > 1) What size steppers should I use?
      > > 2) How to drill the cross-slide and lathe bed to accept NEMA
      stepper
      > > holders.
      > > 3) How to get all the backlash out.
      >
      > As others have mentioned, the Sherline CNC retro kits are pretty
      good
      > for motor mounts. They include thrust bearings and a flex coupler,
      in
      > additon to the motor mount.
      >
      > You may want to consider a servo system rather than stepper as you
      can
      > get much better dynamic response for threading and smoother cuts
      when
      > both finishing and roughing.
      >
      > http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114
      >
      > Fred Smith - IMService
      > http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

    • joecomunale1
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
        I am getting the input from a lot of people to use the Sherline CNC
        Retrofit kit.

        This appears to be Sherline P/N: 6730 (for the 4400 Lathe) $210
        (Includes 2 NEMA 23 mounts, couplings, anit-backlash nut, Leadscrews,
        drilling template, etc.).

        Luckily for me I have access to a Bridgeport with a DRO (My small
        Chinese Mill with DRO probably won't hold the piece and be able to
        drill) at work to drill these things as accurately as I can (I don't
        trust myself and the template).

        Next will be the Steppers and controller boards- and I've already
        started to receive good info from this Special Interest Group on that.
        I definitely will be using at least 150 oz-in steppers, probably go
        over kill and use 200 oz-in steppers.

        So far - the retrofit is coming in at around $450-500 total (not
        counting my free labor).

        Sure appreciate the information, input, and advice from everyone.

        Joe C.

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@a...> wrote:

        > I did my first Sherline conversion before they made the mounts, but
        Id
        > never make my own again- their mechanincal stuff is very nice.
        >
        > Their kit includes a drill jig, its not hard to do the drill and
        tap,
        > with reasonable care.
        >
        > I think their motors are a bit on the wimpy side- Id like to see
        more
        > like 150-180 oz Several people now sell the better, square form,
        motors.
        > I think Xylotex has them at a good price, also hobbycnc
        >
        > I would STRONGLY NOT suggest the sherline driver board. IMHO its a
        hack.
        > They designed it so it could all fit inside the PC box, a noble
        desire,
        > but the controller is weak at best. Use either Xylotex or HobbyCNC
        instead.

        > I used moglice to eliminate the backlash on my mill. Ive been happy
        with
        > it, and have also used it on a large Prazi mill. See my web pages
        for a
        > description- http://plsntcov.8m.com
        >
        > ron ginger

      • Alan Marconett
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
          Hi Joe,

          That's what this group is for!

          Enjoy!

        • Fred Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 19, 2005
            wrote:

            >Most of the servo's I've seen - for
            > some reason - run a lot slower than steppers, and cost more. But
            > maybe that's only my impression and not a true fact.

            Our Globe servos run at 45 ipm with a 28v power supply. No lost
            steps, no resonance, and .1-.2 sec acceleration to full speed on a
            Sherline lathe or mill. The control resolution is approx, 112,000
            steps per inch. The motors run all day and stay cool to the touch,
            avoiding thermal expansion issues.