Re: [SherlineCNC] Mill Z screw length??

  • RichD
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 30, 2005
      Hi To,
      thanks. I heard from Charla (Sherline) and apparently the friends 5400 mill
      (sec hand) has a 2000 mill Z screw on it (?!!). He ordered new parts. Duh!
      I could not find a shorter screw in the parts lists, thus my concern.
      I was a little worried for a while there.
      RichD, happily CNCing the beegeeses out of my 5400 mill. Works GREAT!!

      Tom Hubin wrote:

      > RichD wrote:
      > >
      > > Guys,
      > > would some folks measure the total length of ther Sherline Z axis leadscrew.
      > > All the mills I have here, 5000 and 5400 have 9" screws.
      > > A friend has a 5400 with an 8" screw and thusly the saddle nut falls off
      > > the bottom of the screw at the lowest position!
      > > Where did this 8" screw come from??
      > > Sherline has not answered my query on this yet.
      > > RichD
      >
      > **********************
      >
      > Hello Rich,
      >
      > My 5410 (metric 5400) measures 8 inches and stops just short of touching
      > the base. No way the nut could fall off the bottom. No place to put
      > another inch if I had it.
      >
      > Tom Hubin
      > thubin@...
    • Marv Frankel
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
        Rich,
        If you want to see a slight modification of the 5400 Z axis screw,
        take a look at mine. It's posted in the photos in the Marv's Junk folder.

        Marv Frankel
        Los Angeles

        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, RichD <cmsteam@s...> wrote:
        > Hi To,
        > thanks. I heard from Charla (Sherline) and apparently the friends
        5400 mill
        > (sec hand) has a 2000 mill Z screw on it (?!!). He ordered new
        parts. Duh!
        > I could not find a shorter screw in the parts lists, thus my concern.
        > I was a little worried for a while there.
        > RichD, happily CNCing the beegeeses out of my 5400 mill. Works GREAT!!
        >
        > Tom Hubin wrote:
        > >
        > > RichD wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Guys,
        > > > would some folks measure the total length of ther Sherline Z
        axis leadscrew.
        > > > All the mills I have here, 5000 and 5400 have 9" screws.
        > > > A friend has a 5400 with an 8" screw and thusly the saddle nut
        falls off
        > > > the bottom of the screw at the lowest position!
        > > > Where did this 8" screw come from??
        > > > Sherline has not answered my query on this yet.
        > > > RichD
        > >
        > > **********************
        > >
        > > Hello Rich,
        > >
        > > My 5410 (metric 5400) measures 8 inches and stops just short of
        touching
        > > the base. No way the nut could fall off the bottom. No place to put
        > > another inch if I had it.
        > >
        > > Tom Hubin
        > > thubin@e...
      • RichD
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2005
          Thanks, Marv.
          That's the way to beat the small ballscrew problem, for sure.
          In my case the delrin nut replacement has run off 100's of parts
          from fine engraving to heavy machining without a complaint and still
          NO backlash. If there was a right hand thread 3/8-20 screw available,
          anybody could just buy a tap, delrin and make a nut in a jiffy.
          A new "saddle nut" substitute is needed to take the delrin, but that's
          easy too.
          Rich

          Marv Frankel wrote:

          > Rich,
          > If you want to see a slight modification of the 5400 Z axis screw,
          > take a look at mine. It's posted in the photos in the Marv's Junk folder.
          >
          > Marv Frankel
          > Los Angeles
          >

          > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, RichD <cmsteam@s...> wrote:
          > > Hi To,
          > > thanks. I heard from Charla (Sherline) and apparently the friends
          > 5400 mill
          > > (sec hand) has a 2000 mill Z screw on it (?!!). He ordered new
          > parts. Duh!
          > > I could not find a shorter screw in the parts lists, thus my concern.
          > > I was a little worried for a while there.
          > > RichD, happily CNCing the beegeeses out of my 5400 mill. Works GREAT!!
          > >
          > > Tom Hubin wrote:

          > axis leadscrew.
          > falls off

        • KM6VV
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2005
            Hi Rich,

            You're right. And for CNC there's really no reason why one couldn't just use a
            right hand thread. It would simplify things!

            Alan KM6VV