Re: How to break your Spindle Motor really fast.

  • braid_chris
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
      --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david.cusack@s...> wrote:
      > Last night, I started to replace my spindle drive belt, but the
      > pulley on the motor was stuck tight.
      > So I said to my brother, "Do you have a gear puller?" and he said
      > "Yeah," and he looked in his toolbox. Next thing I know, he's pulled
      > out a hammer and a punch.
      > I said "No!" but he just shouldered his way past me and proceeded
      > to "tap" on the shaft...
      >
      > Well, after lots of tapping, and then some hard whacks, he got the
      > pulley off the motor.
      >
      > Now we have to buy a new spindle motor because his "gentle tapping"
      > shattered the armatures.
      >
      > That's my story. I only hope it helps someone avoid commiting similar
      > foolishness.

      Um. Am I missing something here? Why was it necessary to remove the pulley at all?

      http://www.sherline.com/headasby.htm

      Undo four screws and the end of the housing opens right up.

      ?????

      - Chris
    • Peter Linss
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
        He has the 10,000 RPM conversion. The extra spacer doesn't leave
        enough clearance between the pulley to get the belt out without
        removing (or at least moving) the motor pulley. Since his pulley was
        stuck on (set screw came loose and cut a groove in the shaft when the
        pulley slipped) he had to revert to force...

        As actual gear puller would have been much better than pounding on
        the motor shaft. Also a drop of locktite on the pulley set screw
        might prevent the shaft damage to begin with (and always be sure the
        set screw hits the flat on the shaft).

        Peter

        On Sep 9, 2005, at 5:30 PM, braid_chris wrote:

        > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david.cusack@s...> wrote:
        >
        >> Last night, I started to replace my spindle drive belt, but the
        >> pulley on the motor was stuck tight.
        >> So I said to my brother, "Do you have a gear puller?" and he
        >> said
        >> "Yeah," and he looked in his toolbox. Next thing I know, he's pulled
        >> out a hammer and a punch.
        >> I said "No!" but he just shouldered his way past me and
        >> proceeded
        >> to "tap" on the shaft...
        >>
        >> Well, after lots of tapping, and then some hard whacks, he got the
        >> pulley off the motor.
        >>
        >> Now we have to buy a new spindle motor because his "gentle tapping"
        >> shattered the armatures.
        >>
        >> That's my story. I only hope it helps someone avoid commiting
        >> similar
        >> foolishness.
        >>

        > Um. Am I missing something here? Why was it necessary to remove the
        > pulley at all?
        >
        > http://www.sherline.com/headasby.htm
        >
        > Undo four screws and the end of the housing opens right up.
        >
        > ?????
        >
        > - Chris

        > ~-->
        > home page
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DLTolB/TM

      • jeff briggs
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
          I think a similar thing happened to me a couple days
          ago with my spindle or bearings or something..I was
          milling some aluminum and I messed up on the
          toolpaths, so the speed and cutter I was using enabled
          it to dig it's way in, but it couldn't get out..SNAP
          went my 1/2" end mill and now the spidle makes a funny
          noise that I can't trace. I am using the 10,000 RPM
          spindle conversion as well. I am just waiting for the
          motor or spindle to give it up. I have a new one on
          order just in case.

          Something interesting that I noticed, that I wasnt
          expecting was that my spindle doesn't get hot, just
          lukewarm, even at full speed for an hour, which is
          where I do most of my cutting. It is the motor that
          gets hot. REALLY HOT! I can't touch it. But it still
          goes and is quite reliable, and I can't beleive the
          value that the Sherline mill/IMService CNC sytem
          combination offers. I have to completely disassemble
          and relube and re-calibrate the mill once a week
          simply because of the hard use and the wear on the
          anti backlash nuts, but I am using the mill to cut
          aluminum 6 hours a day 6 days a week.

          Jeff Briggs
          Briggs Models

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tom Hubin
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005
            jeff briggs wrote:

            > I think a similar thing happened to me a couple days
            > ago with my spindle or bearings or something..I was
            > milling some aluminum and I messed up on the
            > toolpaths, so the speed and cutter I was using enabled
            > it to dig it's way in, but it couldn't get out..SNAP
            > went my 1/2" end mill and now the spidle makes a funny
            > noise that I can't trace. I am using the 10,000 RPM
            > spindle conversion as well. I am just waiting for the
            > motor or spindle to give it up. I have a new one on
            > order just in case.
            <snip>
            > Jeff Briggs
            > Briggs Models

            *********************

            Hello Jeff,

            I have had a couple of jams when the endmill grabbed the aluminum and
            everything came to a screeching halt. Once, after unjamming everything,
            the spindle made a thumping noise. It was the belt with a couple of
            teeth worn down.

            I had tried to unjam a few times using the motor. Lots of noise but not
            much action. Then smoke out of the motor area. Turns out it was just
            burning up a couple of belt teeth and not the motor. Lucky me.

            I continued to use it over the next couple of days while the new belt
            was shipped from Sherline. Kept the spindle speed below 2000rpm. The
            belt thumped a lot but the endmills kept on cutting.

            Tom Hubin
            thubin@...