RE: [SherlineCNC] How to break your Spindle Motor really fast.

  • Alan Marconett
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
      Hi Tom, List,

      You could borrow the belt, but why not just borrow the entire motor and
      spindle assembly!

      Ask me why I know. Yeah, I had an "accident", and snapped a belt (probably
      good thing).

      Always order two belts or more!

    • braid_chris
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
        --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david.cusack@s...> wrote:
        > Last night, I started to replace my spindle drive belt, but the
        > pulley on the motor was stuck tight.
        > So I said to my brother, "Do you have a gear puller?" and he said
        > "Yeah," and he looked in his toolbox. Next thing I know, he's pulled
        > out a hammer and a punch.
        > I said "No!" but he just shouldered his way past me and proceeded
        > to "tap" on the shaft...
        >
        > Well, after lots of tapping, and then some hard whacks, he got the
        > pulley off the motor.
        >
        > Now we have to buy a new spindle motor because his "gentle tapping"
        > shattered the armatures.
        >
        > That's my story. I only hope it helps someone avoid commiting similar
        > foolishness.

        Um. Am I missing something here? Why was it necessary to remove the pulley at all?

        http://www.sherline.com/headasby.htm

        Undo four screws and the end of the housing opens right up.

        ?????

        - Chris
      • Peter Linss
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
          He has the 10,000 RPM conversion. The extra spacer doesn't leave
          enough clearance between the pulley to get the belt out without
          removing (or at least moving) the motor pulley. Since his pulley was
          stuck on (set screw came loose and cut a groove in the shaft when the
          pulley slipped) he had to revert to force...

          As actual gear puller would have been much better than pounding on
          the motor shaft. Also a drop of locktite on the pulley set screw
          might prevent the shaft damage to begin with (and always be sure the
          set screw hits the flat on the shaft).

          Peter

          On Sep 9, 2005, at 5:30 PM, braid_chris wrote:

          > --- In SherlineCNC@yahoogroups.com, "David" <david.cusack@s...> wrote:
          >
          >> Last night, I started to replace my spindle drive belt, but the
          >> pulley on the motor was stuck tight.
          >> So I said to my brother, "Do you have a gear puller?" and he
          >> said
          >> "Yeah," and he looked in his toolbox. Next thing I know, he's pulled
          >> out a hammer and a punch.
          >> I said "No!" but he just shouldered his way past me and
          >> proceeded
          >> to "tap" on the shaft...
          >>
          >> Well, after lots of tapping, and then some hard whacks, he got the
          >> pulley off the motor.
          >>
          >> Now we have to buy a new spindle motor because his "gentle tapping"
          >> shattered the armatures.
          >>
          >> That's my story. I only hope it helps someone avoid commiting
          >> similar
          >> foolishness.
          >>

          > Um. Am I missing something here? Why was it necessary to remove the
          > pulley at all?
          >
          > http://www.sherline.com/headasby.htm
          >
          > Undo four screws and the end of the housing opens right up.
          >
          > ?????
          >
          > - Chris

          > ~-->
          > home page
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/DLTolB/TM

        • jeff briggs
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2005
            I think a similar thing happened to me a couple days
            ago with my spindle or bearings or something..I was
            milling some aluminum and I messed up on the
            toolpaths, so the speed and cutter I was using enabled
            it to dig it's way in, but it couldn't get out..SNAP
            went my 1/2" end mill and now the spidle makes a funny
            noise that I can't trace. I am using the 10,000 RPM
            spindle conversion as well. I am just waiting for the
            motor or spindle to give it up. I have a new one on
            order just in case.

            Something interesting that I noticed, that I wasnt
            expecting was that my spindle doesn't get hot, just
            lukewarm, even at full speed for an hour, which is
            where I do most of my cutting. It is the motor that
            gets hot. REALLY HOT! I can't touch it. But it still
            goes and is quite reliable, and I can't beleive the
            value that the Sherline mill/IMService CNC sytem
            combination offers. I have to completely disassemble
            and relube and re-calibrate the mill once a week
            simply because of the hard use and the wear on the
            anti backlash nuts, but I am using the mill to cut
            aluminum 6 hours a day 6 days a week.

            Jeff Briggs
            Briggs Models

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Tom Hubin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 13, 2005
              jeff briggs wrote:

              > I think a similar thing happened to me a couple days
              > ago with my spindle or bearings or something..I was
              > milling some aluminum and I messed up on the
              > toolpaths, so the speed and cutter I was using enabled
              > it to dig it's way in, but it couldn't get out..SNAP
              > went my 1/2" end mill and now the spidle makes a funny
              > noise that I can't trace. I am using the 10,000 RPM
              > spindle conversion as well. I am just waiting for the
              > motor or spindle to give it up. I have a new one on
              > order just in case.
              <snip>
              > Jeff Briggs
              > Briggs Models

              *********************

              Hello Jeff,

              I have had a couple of jams when the endmill grabbed the aluminum and
              everything came to a screeching halt. Once, after unjamming everything,
              the spindle made a thumping noise. It was the belt with a couple of
              teeth worn down.

              I had tried to unjam a few times using the motor. Lots of noise but not
              much action. Then smoke out of the motor area. Turns out it was just
              burning up a couple of belt teeth and not the motor. Lucky me.

              I continued to use it over the next couple of days while the new belt
              was shipped from Sherline. Kept the spindle speed below 2000rpm. The
              belt thumped a lot but the endmills kept on cutting.

              Tom Hubin
              thubin@...