Re: [SherlineCNC] DOS in Windows 2000?

  • JanRwl@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 2 6:49 PM
      In a message dated 4/2/2005 8:43:08 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      YahooLists@... writes:

      Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

      Pete: There's a Command Prompt icon on the desktop. Does that. But
      whatcha "get" ain't!

    • Alison and Jim Gregg.
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 2 7:35 PM
        Hi Alan.

        Yes there is a Command Prompt in XP, . Haven't tried to do anything with
        it except very basic DOS type things.

        Jim Gregg.

        At 12:54 PM 2/04/2005 -0800, you wrote:

        >Hi to the lists,
        >
        >I'd always thought/heard that windows 2000 had no DOS. OK, I realize that it
        >doesn't boot up on top of, or from DOS like all windows up to and including
        >Win98, but I just changed jobs, and my new system at work has 2000 on
        >it. There
        >is a "command prompt" under accessories. I tried it, ran DEBUG, and it looks
        >like DOS. 40:0 even looked like comm port assignments. What else can it
        >run?
        >Obviously we can't run a CNC controller under it, or can we? Anyone
        >try? What
        >about XP? Is there a command prompt?
        >
        >Alan KM6VV
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2 8:32 PM
          I'm not sure what you're saying.

          You don't get a command prompt when you click that icon? If not, right-click
          the icon, select properties, and make sure that the target is cmd.exe

          Note: Not all desktops will have that icon. I don't believe it is even part
          of the standard install.

          It's not DOS, but we have since shifted to discussing the command prompt in
          general, not DOS.

          Pete

          Pete Brown - Gambrills, MD (Near Annapolis)
          Visit my personal site : http://www.irritatedVowel.com
          (wallpaper, western maryland ry, .net, photography, model rr)

          _____

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2 9:58 PM
            > Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt

            I use cygwin, which gives me a bash shell under Windows XP.

            I've never liked the DOS command line, although they've improved it
            quite a bit with Win 2k/XP.

            You need to make sure that you're running cmd.exe and NOT command.com.
            Both are available, but cmd.exe gives you a 32-bit shell and
            command.com gives you a 16-bit shell.

            There have been quite few enhancements to the batch file stuff as well.

            --
            Dave Hylands
            Vancouver, BC, Canada
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 3 3:26 PM
              Hi Jim,

              Thanks, I'm surprised. I'd always heard that there was NO DOS on 2000 and XP.
              Well, it might not be a real DOS, but from what I've seen of the the "command
              line" prompt on 2000, it's useful. I ran Debug, and was able to see things. I
              could manipulate files, so I'll bet there is a lot there. OK, we can't run a
              CNC controller program, but it would allow a simulation of my STEP4 program.
              Often I want to do is run it to check out the interface, or simulate moves. I
              don't have to actually MOVE anything.

              I had to have a "driver" to access hardware in OS/2, so I'm guessing it's a
              similar situation for 2000 or XP. Next to find some drivers!

              Alan KM6VV

              Alison and Jim Gregg. wrote:

              > Hi Alan.
              >
              > Yes there is a Command Prompt in XP, . Haven't tried to do anything with
              > it except very basic DOS type things.
              >
              > Jim Gregg.
              >
              > At 12:54 PM 2/04/2005 -0800, you wrote:
              >

              >>Hi to the lists,
              >>
              >>I'd always thought/heard that windows 2000 had no DOS. OK, I realize that it
              >>doesn't boot up on top of, or from DOS like all windows up to and including
              >>Win98, but I just changed jobs, and my new system at work has 2000 on
              >>it. There
              >>is a "command prompt" under accessories. I tried it, ran DEBUG, and it looks
              >>like DOS. 40:0 even looked like comm port assignments. What else can it
              >>run?
              >>Obviously we can't run a CNC controller under it, or can we? Anyone
              >>try? What
              >>about XP? Is there a command prompt?
              >>
              >>Alan KM6VV

            • Andy Wander
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 3 3:27 PM
                Start, Run, "cmd" Enter will get you there in 2000 and XP

                Andy Wander
                Verrex Corporation

                Alison and Jim Gregg. wrote:

                > Hi Alan.
                >
                > Yes there is a Command Prompt in XP, . Haven't tried to do anything with
                > it except very basic DOS type things.
                >
                > Jim Gregg.
                >
                > At 12:54 PM 2/04/2005 -0800, you wrote:
                >

                >>Hi to the lists,
                >>
                >>I'd always thought/heard that windows 2000 had no DOS. OK, I realize that
                it
                >>doesn't boot up on top of, or from DOS like all windows up to and
                including
                >>Win98, but I just changed jobs, and my new system at work has 2000 on
                >>it. There
                >>is a "command prompt" under accessories. I tried it, ran DEBUG, and it
                looks
                >>like DOS. 40:0 even looked like comm port assignments. What else can it
                >>run?
                >>Obviously we can't run a CNC controller under it, or can we? Anyone
                >>try? What
                >>about XP? Is there a command prompt?
                >>
                >>Alan KM6VV

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • adriankole
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 3 4:08 PM
                  Hi Alan,

                  The fact that you cannot access IO ports directly under NT and later
                  has less to do with the fact that there is no 'DOS' as NT and
                  later 'virtualizes' the ports so that the OS can intercepts access
                  and try to do its part to appropriately share the hardware with
                  various apps all vying to do their damage.

                  I like the cmd.exe shell better than DOS in some ways. You can set
                  the number of lines for reviewing (by scrolling up) the history of
                  commands. Also, it recognizes regular expressions much better than
                  old DOS. For instance, you can do things like "DIR abc*def*ghi".

                  Here's an interesting link which may have an application for you:
                  http://www.chami.com/tips/windows/122096W.html

                  As to Windows drivers, I don't consider myself an expert in this
                  area, but I had done a bit of research into writing my own device
                  drivers (I'm a proficient C++ programmer). As I understand it,
                  there is more or less a standard framework available from MS for
                  writing them so that they are somewhat portable (possibly even
                  between Win 9x and NT/2000/XP). I know that MS also offers sample
                  (reference) device driver code that you can modify. This is
                  certainly a much better jumping off point than starting off from
                  scratch.

                  There are also libraries available for accomplishing much the same
                  thing and that simplify things to shorten the learning curve.

                  Cheers,
                  Adrian

                • Pete Brown (YahooGroups)
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 3 4:18 PM
                    There is NO "DOS" (MS-DOS, IBM-PCDOS, DRDOS or other) in 2000 or XP.
                    Instead, you get something that *looks* like DOS but is still running under
                    2000 or XP. There is a really huge difference.

                    DOS is a complete single-tasking, single-processor-aware, interrupt-driven,
                    disk-based operating system (Disk Operating System). Base DOS allowed only
                    one program to run at any point in time.* In older versions of Windows,
                    Windows itself ran on top of DOS, and used DOS to handle some of the base IO
                    and similar functionality. This was definitely the case with Windows 3.x,
                    and to a lesser extent it was with Windows 95 and 98, and even less in
                    Windows ME. It was still there, though, handling some of the baser
                    functions, including taking over the computer's boot after the BIOS was
                    done.

                    Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003 are all complete multi-tasking operating systems.
                    They do not need any other operating system (like DOS) to handle any IO or
                    other functionality. They do it all themselves. As such, any program that
                    runs under those versions of Windows is subject to the rules and protections
                    of Windows, for example, you might get interrupted at any point in time, and
                    have your processor time given away. Another is the driver issue of which
                    you are already aware.

                    cmd.exe is a program, just like Microsoft Word or Excel or IE, or Netscape
                    Navigator, or Half-Life are each a program, that runs on top of the base
                    operating system**. Cmd.exe, because it operates as a program, not the OS
                    itself, is aware of pretty much anything Windows is aware of. That includes
                    long file names, the NTFS file system, the FAT32 file system (if you use
                    that), the loaded device drivers etc.

                    If it helps, think of it almost as a DOS emulator. That will get you close.

                    I hope that clears it up a bit, Alan

                    * For the nits: Yes, I know how interrupts work (I used to write interrupt
                    handlers in C), and I also know about things like DesqView and even the old
                    Microsoft DOS Shell that each allowed some level of multi-tasking and / or
                    switching.

                    ** More nits: Yes, there are different levels here. I do not equate "base"
                    with "core" and I am not speaking about isolation levels.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3 4:27 PM
                      Alan,

                      Have you played with Virtual PC it allows you to simulate another system
                      on Windows XP; so you could run your DOS application on a simulated
                      machine.

                      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

                      What system system resources does your DOS application require direct
                      access to?

                      Gregg

                      ________________________________

> [...]

                      > > Yes there is a Command Prompt in XP, . Haven't tried to do
                      anything with
                      > > it except very basic DOS type things.
                      > >
                      > > Jim Gregg.
                      > >
                      > > At 12:54 PM 2/04/2005 -0800, you wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>Hi to the lists,
                      > >>
                      > >>I'd always thought/heard that windows 2000 had no DOS. OK, I
                      realize that it
                      > >>doesn't boot up on top of, or from DOS like all windows up to
                      and including
                      > >>Win98, but I just changed jobs, and my new system at work has
                      2000 on
                      > >>it. There
                      > >>is a "command prompt" under accessories. I tried it, ran DEBUG,
                      and it looks
                      > >>like DOS. 40:0 even looked like comm port assignments. What
                      else can it
                      > >>run?
                      > >>Obviously we can't run a CNC controller under it, or can we?

                    • KM6VV
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3 5:08 PM
                        Hi Adrian,

                        Thanks for the URL. I haven't started looking for info on Window's drivers. I
                        have done scads of DOS drivers.

                        All depends on how much control it gives.

                        Alan KM6VV

                        adriankole wrote:

                        > Hi Alan,
                        >
                        > The fact that you cannot access IO ports directly under NT and later
                        > has less to do with the fact that there is no 'DOS' as NT and
                        > later 'virtualizes' the ports so that the OS can intercepts access
                        > and try to do its part to appropriately share the hardware with
                        > various apps all vying to do their damage.
                        >
                        > I like the cmd.exe shell better than DOS in some ways. You can set
                        > the number of lines for reviewing (by scrolling up) the history of
                        > commands. Also, it recognizes regular expressions much better than
                        > old DOS. For instance, you can do things like "DIR abc*def*ghi".
                        >
                        > Here's an interesting link which may have an application for you:
                        > http://www.chami.com/tips/windows/122096W.html
                        >
                        > As to Windows drivers, I don't consider myself an expert in this
                        > area, but I had done a bit of research into writing my own device
                        > drivers (I'm a proficient C++ programmer). As I understand it,
                        > there is more or less a standard framework available from MS for
                        > writing them so that they are somewhat portable (possibly even
                        > between Win 9x and NT/2000/XP). I know that MS also offers sample
                        > (reference) device driver code that you can modify. This is
                        > certainly a much better jumping off point than starting off from
                        > scratch.
                        >
                        > There are also libraries available for accomplishing much the same
                        > thing and that simplify things to shorten the learning curve.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Adrian

                      • KM6VV
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3 5:19 PM
                          Thanks Pete,

                          I think I'm getting the picture now. I just was surprised to see the cmd
                          prompt, and it started me thinking that perhaps I WILL explore 2000 or one of
                          the other windows systems for my text controller.

                          Alan KM6VV

                          Pete Brown (YahooGroups) wrote:

                          > There is NO "DOS" (MS-DOS, IBM-PCDOS, DRDOS or other) in 2000 or XP.
                          > Instead, you get something that *looks* like DOS but is still running under
                          > 2000 or XP. There is a really huge difference.
                          >

                          > DOS is a complete single-tasking, single-processor-aware, interrupt-driven,
                          > disk-based operating system (Disk Operating System). Base DOS allowed only
                          > one program to run at any point in time.* In older versions of Windows,
                          > Windows itself ran on top of DOS, and used DOS to handle some of the base IO
                          > and similar functionality. This was definitely the case with Windows 3.x,
                          > and to a lesser extent it was with Windows 95 and 98, and even less in
                          > Windows ME. It was still there, though, handling some of the baser
                          > functions, including taking over the computer's boot after the BIOS was
                          > done.
                          >

                          > Windows NT, 2000, XP, 2003 are all complete multi-tasking operating systems.
                          > They do not need any other operating system (like DOS) to handle any IO or
                          > other functionality. They do it all themselves. As such, any program that
                          > runs under those versions of Windows is subject to the rules and protections
                          > of Windows, for example, you might get interrupted at any point in time, and
                          > have your processor time given away. Another is the driver issue of which
                          > you are already aware.
                          >

                          > cmd.exe is a program, just like Microsoft Word or Excel or IE, or Netscape
                          > Navigator, or Half-Life are each a program, that runs on top of the base
                          > operating system**. Cmd.exe, because it operates as a program, not the OS
                          > itself, is aware of pretty much anything Windows is aware of. That includes
                          > long file names, the NTFS file system, the FAT32 file system (if you use
                          > that), the loaded device drivers etc.
                          >

                          > If it helps, think of it almost as a DOS emulator. That will get you close.
                          >

                          > I hope that clears it up a bit, Alan
                          >

                          > * For the nits: Yes, I know how interrupts work (I used to write interrupt
                          > handlers in C), and I also know about things like DesqView and even the old
                          > Microsoft DOS Shell that each allowed some level of multi-tasking and / or
                          > switching.
                          >

                          > ** More nits: Yes, there are different levels here. I do not equate "base"
                          > with "core" and I am not speaking about isolation levels.
                          >

                          > Pete

                        • KM6VV
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3 5:40 PM
                            HI Gregg,

                            No, not yet. Actually, this is the first time I've had a 2000 on MY desk. So
                            I've just started playing with it. Thought I'd try running my CNC controller
                            program at the command prompt under 2000 first. I can always boot up with a DOS
                            disk, although I won't be able to copy a Gcode program onto the hard disk. That
                            could be solved by installing a second drive formatted FAT16.

                            The CNC controller program needs access to the timers, keyboard (IRQ), and the
                            parallel port.

                            I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the URL.

                            Alan KM6VV